Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 02-05-2021, 01:49 PM   #1
melkorbauglir
Connoisseur
melkorbauglir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650,LG G7 ThinQ,Samsung S5 Active,Pocketbook InkPad 3
porkupan (boroda) still active?

Hi,i have troubles updating PRS-650 firmware,starts nicely,then after first reboot and short updating files (note on ereader screen),it reboots again,and goes into library mode,then i get message,that update wasnt sucessful.I have suspicion,it might be related to russification version 1.05k from porkupan(boroda),i have on my ereader.Or maybe not...
Anyway,wasnt there back in days way to flash PRS-650 via memory stick?(dont have any,are they still avaylable)?Was it super hard?

Last edited by melkorbauglir; 02-05-2021 at 01:52 PM.
melkorbauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 03:20 AM   #2
melkorbauglir
Connoisseur

My PC is same starting 2011 (yes.its old),only thing changed is OS,Windows 10 isnt officcially supported even by Sony
updater,tryed several compability modes,still same.Any idea,how to remove Boroda russification?Websites it was hosted are long dead.
Advert
Old 02-06-2021, 05:09 PM   #3
melkorbauglir
Connoisseur

Well,i found Porkupan ftp archive,its still online,plus got from long dead russian forum (www.the-ebook.org)250 MB PRS-650 tools pack

.https://projects.mobil…reader/users/porkupan/

In that pack was totally alternative firmware from :https://archive.org/de…-applications-firmware
Installed no problem,but its awkward to use,so i removed it.

In PRS-650 tools pack i got,was PRS-650 russification update from porkupan (boroda),v.105n,no exe,update_bat file for installation.To my surprise,worked again like charm.

So,in general i got cyrillic epubs again working on my PRS-650."With older Sony firmware"

FIX: porkupans 1.05n also updated my reader Sony firmware,so its now v.1.0.00.14080!

.Why it refused to update Sony firmware to latest one on that device via Sony exe updater,is beyond me.Windows 10?UAC?Who knews.(i suspect its W 10 issue)

(Would be nice ofc update Sony firmware to latest one)FIX:done!
and PRC+ it,but as it is so outdated reader,going to try to gift my daughter at summer some nice 300 ppi Pocketbook reader.

If anybody needs PRC-650 toolset from died russian forum,can upload it (www.the-ebook.org)

Last edited by melkorbauglir; 02-06-2021 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-06-2021, 05:17 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by melkorbauglir View Post
going to try to gift my daughter at sommer some nice 300 ppi Pocketbook reader
When you do get a Pocketbook, make sure it's a larger screen then 6". 6" is the new too small. 7.8" Inkpad 3 Pro. That's what I would get if I was getting a Pocketbook.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 05:49 PM   #5
melkorbauglir
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When you do get a Pocketbook, make sure it's a larger screen then 6". 6" is the new too small. 7.8" Inkpad 3 Pro. That's what I would get if I was getting a Pocketbook.
I knew,i have myself Inkpad 3.You might have point here,why not gift futureproof reader
Advert
Old 02-06-2021, 05:53 PM   #6
melkorbauglir
Connoisseur

How stable is latest PRC+ i can get?As right now,even with only russification my PRS-650 works,no bugs,don't want make it buggier or slower...
Old 02-08-2021, 08:25 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by melkorbauglir View Post
How stable is latest PRC+ i can get?As right now,even with only russification my PRS-650 works,no bugs,don't want make it buggier or slower...
To be honest, PRS+ is not supported any longer and I don't even know if it's still available to download. Also, in some cases, it has been known to cause a battery drain.

Also, the version of RMSDK on your 659 is very old. Too old to support hyphenation. With the latest firmware, your Pocketbook has the current RMSDK. That means you can read ePub 3 (with ePub 3 features) and have a better reading experience with ePub 2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 01:12 PM   #8
melkorbauglir
Connoisseur

Yeah,pocketbook got firmware update not so long ago.
Reagardless epub 2 or 3 or rtf,or mobi,recently collided with quite good book with awfull build (inserts arent readable almost in any form),named" XX "( by Rian Hughes).You are warned.Only way its inserts are fully readable, is in PC.
You all are warned