Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Exactly. In this specific kobo forum here, critics are welcome. But only positive ones.
There is nothing positive about a bug. It is even less positive (now into the negative) for long standing uncorrected bugs.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #32
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'll give you one bug going back to the original Kobo that DOES affect everyone.

When you put the font-family in the body style in CSS, the embedded font is not displayed. This is how some embedded fonts are setup. Kobo ignores this. This is not an ADE issue. ADE works with font-family in the body CSS style. Kobo botched this and it's been reported and they refuse to fix it. So many eBooks do not display the embedded font and there could be an issue with extended characters because of this.

THIS AFFECTS EVERY EINK KOBO OUT THERE!
This affects to everybody... who use embedded font. I still have to find a book like that (or I allow it to be like that). Do I say that it isn't a bug? No. Do I say that everybody is aware of it and affect to everybody? No.

So no, you haven't given me any bug which affects me.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
This affects to everybody... who use embedded font. I still have to find a book like that (or I allow it to be like that). Do I say that it isn't a bug? No. Do I say that everybody is aware of it and affect to everybody? No.

So no, you haven't given me any bug which affects me.
It does affect you. You may not know it. You may not be seeing the embedded font because of the bug. But it is still a bug and it does affect you even if you don't know it.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #34
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I'd disagree. Critics are welcome. What I personally find objectionable are the people who focus on one item and repeat their complaint at every opportunity. Like most of the participants in this forum, you've probably seen all too many of those posts similar in sense to the bits below:

"I will never buy a Kobo until they get rid of that $%^&*(} bottom margin that costs me valuable reading space".

"All Kobo needs to do to have a perfect ereader is to toss out their database and replace it with a simple file browser. Until they do that, their ereaders are pieces of crap".

"The new GUI sucks baboon GI tract methane and the developers should be lined up against the nearest wall".

The preferred technique is to inject your complaint into every discussion no matter what the subject is.

Discussion about firmware 2.6.1 not displaying .png cover images?

"If they used a file browser, that wouldn't be a problem."

Regards,
David

Your renditions are much more colorful than those I've read here.

So, your answer is what? When a thread is discussing problems, we can leave out those you may have heard too often? ( It's under investigation we can't talk about it. That was weeks ago, it's not news anymore, let's move on. )

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #35
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
I'll give you one bug going back to the original Kobo that DOES affect everyone.

When you put the font-family in the body style in CSS, the embedded font is not displayed. This is how some embedded fonts are setup. Kobo ignores this. This is not an ADE issue. ADE works with font-family in the body CSS style. Kobo botched this and it's been reported and they refuse to fix it. So many eBooks do not display the embedded font and there could be an issue with extended characters because of this.

THIS AFFECTS EVERY EINK KOBO OUT THERE!
I'm not posting this question to try and get any argument going for or against or to egg anyone on further. Kobo owner for about 2 months now so I still don't know all the quirks about the various formats.

I usually prefer my own font to anything a publisher embeds so for me that behavior is a big plus (BIG plus. If it works as you say (this is on epubs only, I seldom use kepubs still), it saves me from having to open the epub in Sigil and strip the fonts and all references to the embedded fonts.

But there's also on option when selecting fonts on my Glo for "Document Default." If you select that, doesn't the book then display the embedded font? I'll have to dig up a book with embedded fonts and try it myself, but it sounds like it should work to display the embedded fonts (if it works correctly that is, maybe it doesn't since as I said, I haven't tested it myself).
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #36
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I'm not trying to deny that happens. I am claiming that it usually happens after a few people become too vocal about an issue: when a general thread is hijacked for a particular issue, or when completely unrelated threads are hijacked for a particular cause. People are here to discuss a variety of things, not the pet causes of a few people.

Like I said, bring these things up if you wish. But please be respectful of the fact that some people will disagree with you and other people won't see it as an important issue. Also respect the fact that people may want to discuss other things. I'm still a bit miffed that the 2.5.2 bugs and features thread, non-title bar edition, was hijacked because I was interested in learning about potential pitfalls of upgrading -- not because I wanted to stifle dissent. But it didn't work out that way. It didn't work out that way because certain voices were over powering other voices. Blocking those voices (using the feature we're not supposed to mention) didn't work out because there were still the replies to those powerful voices.
And what do you say about someone, not here that long, but not a newcomer either, opening a thread to not complain but make some quite relevant demands to kobo after the beresina of 2.5.2, and being told, not by the kobo rep but by members here, to refrain from such initiative and just post instead in a special thread, which now amounts to no less than 675 posts, and which, considering the less than stellar integration of those demands in the various upgrades, is either not read by, or used as the joke source for coffee breaks, kobo employees ?
I mean, seriously, it's Kafka at his best !!!
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #37
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It does affect you. You may not know it. You may not be seeing the embedded font because of the bug. But it is still a bug and it does affect you even if you don't know it.
Perhaps I should tell you a small secret... I process any book before going into Kobo: I extract the opf/css/html, I edit them (margins, size, removing fonts) and I create the epub that goes to my ereader. My books DON'T have embedded fonts, so this bug can't affect me. But that isn't the point, this is like Schrödinger's cat: does a bug affect you if you aren't aware of it?
Old 06-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #38
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Your renditions are much more colorful than those I've read here.

So, your answer is what? When a thread is discussing problems, we can leave out those you may have heard too often? ( It's under investigation we can't talk about it. That was weeks ago, it's not news anymore, let's move on. )

Luck;
Ken
. But sadly I guess that the answer is yes. If they have heard it already, and/or if they don't care, then it's not relevant and should not be mentioned. Ever. Again.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #39
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
Perhaps I should tell you a small secret... I process any book before going into Kobo: I extract the opf/css/html, I edit them (margins, size, removing fonts) and I create the epub that goes to my ereader. My books DON'T have embedded fonts, so this bug can't affect me. But that isn't the point, this is like Schrödinger's cat: does a bug affect you if you aren't aware of it?
But Terisa, surely you cannot expect everyone to do this with every single book, and that's the point for me. I keep hearing that I should just edit all my books, and I would not have any problems. Well, sure, I could also buy pains au chocolat, open them, take the chocolate out and there, I'd have my croissants. Or I could buy croissants...

Last edited by aceflor; 06-13-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #40
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
But Teresa, surely you cannot expect everyone to do this with every single book, and that's the point for me. I keep hearing that I should just edit all my books, and I would not have any problems. Well, sure, I could also buy pains au chocolat, open them, take the chocolate out and there, I'd have my croissants. Or I could buy croissants...
Have I said anything about people doing this? I was answering to JSWolf, who said I didn't know if the bug exists because I didn't know if my books had it. I usually say nothing about bugs except at the moment people claims a bug affects EVERYBODY.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #41
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
Have I said anything about people doing this? I was answering to JSWolf, who said I didn't know if the bug exists because I didn't know if my books had it. I usually say nothing about bugs except at the moment people claims a bug affects EVERYBODY.
Sorry, I did not mean you, I meant I had already been told by someone elsr that if I have a bug, I should reformat all my books.

I did not mean to offend you, sorry again if I did.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #42
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sorry, I did not mean you, I meant I had already been told by someone elsr that if I have a bug, I should reformat all my books.

I did not mean to offend you, sorry again if I did.
No offense taken, I didn't understand the reference. And I agree with you that it is not an option for everybody.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #43
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Perhaps ...this is like Schrödinger's cat: does a bug affect you if you aren't aware of it?
HEY!!!
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #44
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geormes View Post
HEY!!!
What the problem is?

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 06-13-2013 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Sorry, I've already seen your avatar :D
Old 06-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
It can if the embedded font has some character needed for the eBook that the default font (or font in use) doesn't have.