Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #1
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
PW: Another Perspective

My reasons for buying and using the PW have nothing at all to do with the light. I very rarely have a need to read in the dark, and prefer to use a reasonable amount of ambient light whenever possible. The built-in light does help when the ambient light is less than ideal since it brightens up the shadows and makes the darker parts of the screen easier to read, but it isn't really necessary. So, this is a brief review of the PW that pretty much ignores the light. I imagine that there are others like me who have PWs but for whom the light itself is not critical.

I have been using Sony readers exclusively since before there was a Kindle (since the PRS-500 was released), and have owned and used regularly a sample of every generation of Sony Reader since. I now read exclusively on an e-reader and do so daily.

I had never before been interested in Amazon's products. The Sonys were always pushing the technology more aggressively and have a more open format -- epub. However, my needs changed. I am now seriously working to achieve a high functional level in Spanish, and find translating dictionaries to be more distracting than beneficial. The Sony products only have translating dictionaries for languages other than English, and third-party dictionaries cannot be added. Once I discovered that the PW comes with a truly excellent Spanish dictionary (the two-volume, second edition of the Real Academia Diccionario de la Lengua Española), it became a no-brainer for me. The Kobos also come with a Spanish dictionary, but it is of lower quality. And, since Amazon has by far the best selection of Spanish language ebooks anyway, the PW really was the ideal choice for me.

In daily use I find the PW to be superior to the T1. Without the light, the PW screen has contrast at least equal to the T1, and the font rendering is superior. The capacitive touch screen is a decided improvement over the IR technology. It is more responsive, has fewer failed page turns, is faster, and has higher resolution (I find it much easier to accurately select a word with the PW than with the T1 when using small fonts.) The PW's UI is fine. I wish it were easier to turn the wireless on and off, but that's not a big deal. Since I don't carry lots of books on my reader (why would I need to?), collection management also isn't an issue. The Amazon case works really well. It looks like I will easily get two weeks out of a charge.

So, all-in-all, I'm quite happy with the PW. It does everything I need it to do efficiently and well. The light does help when reading in less than ideal conditions, and I can easily use it in the dark if I have to.

I would be interested to hear the opinions of others who use the PW and for whom the light is not centrally important.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:41 AM   #2
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I also love the PW dictionary. Must faster than Kindle non touch since you can just tap the word and you would get the definition instantaneously.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2012, 02:48 AM   #3
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I cannot agree more to your post.

By the way, if you are willing to Jailbreak your Kindle PW, the Collections Manager hack by ixtab works like a charm with Calibre's plugin by NiLuJe, and makes the whole collection option on the kindle super user friendly.

I use my PW by night too, and I have not had problems with the screen either, but that is me and what my eye takes in I guess. For 129 €, the PW is an excellent value.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:52 AM   #4
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
if you are willing to Jailbreak your Kindle PW, the Collections Manager hack by ixtab works like a charm with Calibre's plugin by NiLuJe, and makes the whole collection option on the kindle super user friendly.
If you jailbreak a Kindle, can you still install the official software update from Amazon?

Last edited by Julius Caesar; 11-02-2012 at 03:03 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:54 AM   #5
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
If you jailbreak a Kindle, can you still install the official software update from Amazon?
you can, but it often takes the JB away and "the dudes" have to work on a new JB, but sometimes it stays jailbroken just fine.

If you want to try the Collections Manager it is the only way...
Advert
Old 11-02-2012, 03:02 AM   #6
Julius Caesar
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
if you are willing to Jailbreak your Kindle PW, the Collections Manager hack by ixtab works like a charm with Calibre's plugin by NiLuJe, and makes the whole collection option on the kindle super user friendly.
With the JB, can you have a collection within a collection, similar to a directory tree hierarchy with a PC?
Old 11-02-2012, 03:25 AM   #7
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
With the JB, can you have a collection within a collection, similar to a directory tree hierarchy with a PC?
The JB is just the hack to "open" your Kindle. After that, you have to install the "collections manager" hack. And then yes, collections in collections work.

Here the link to the thread :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186305
(sorry, right now the "insert link" button is not working for me), and have a look at the last posts they are talking exactly about sub-collections into collections.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:22 AM   #8
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage
@induna: Like Aceflor, I completely agree. After reading about all the problems other users were having with their PWs, I thought I'd made a mistake pre-ordering one.

I must have got lucky, since the screen looks great (despite very minor shadowing caused by the light just beneath the text in certain lighting conditions, but in most cases, there's no unevenness -- let alone coloured blotches or specks of light, as others have reported seeing). And the fonts are very crisp and dark (much more so than on my Touch, which looks washed out in comparison).

I agree that if you read in more than one language, the Kindle is by far the best option out there for dictionary support. Plus the look-up feature on the PW is even faster, I find, than it was on the Touch.
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:03 AM   #9
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Thanks for that review induna, it's nice to get a different perspective.

I'm especially interested in what you've said about the capacitive touch screen being a lot better than the IR touch. I've been wondering if it might be that which is causing the QC issues with the screen (compared to the Kobo which is still using IR touch and isn't having the same kind of issues), but the plus side is that it's better tech. You are the first person I've seen who has been so specific about this actually being the case.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #10
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Thanks for that review induna, it's nice to get a different perspective.

I'm especially interested in what you've said about the capacitive touch screen being a lot better than the IR touch. I've been wondering if it might be that which is causing the QC issues with the screen (compared to the Kobo which is still using IR touch and isn't having the same kind of issues), but the plus side is that it's better tech. You are the first person I've seen who has been so specific about this actually being the case.
I have been wondering about this the whole time too. It is very responsive, usable in a ziploc (a great plus for us, we spend a lot of our free time at the beach, even in winter), and the top layer does not influence the contrast at all. But maybe it is this capacitive layer that does not work well with the leds.. ?
Old 11-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #11
SquiddOhio
Connoisseur
SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.

Device: Kindle Touch
Let me add my reaction, since there have been many posts containing negative comments about the PW, especially the lighting. I have had a Kindle keyboard, then a Touch, and now a PW. I find the PW superior in every way and think it is the best Kindle ever by far. The touch screen is far more sensitive than on the Touch, the bezel is not raised so far above the screen, the menus reacts faster and the lighting is a spectacular advance.
Highly recommended.
SquiddOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
(Just wanted to point out that meme is actually the author of the Calibre plugin, I just tweaked it a wee bit to make it play nice with ixtab's Kindlet ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:01 AM   #13
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
I'm happy that this thread has struck a chord with other people.

I was out tonight at the local bar (it's Friday after all) and the PW worked really well under the less-than-ideal lighting conditions. Yes, I do see some chromatic aberrations when reading in the dark, but with even minimal ambient lighting the PW is a great reader.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #14
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
One feature I like about the PW is that it can handle TWO dictionaries. Mine now uses The New Oxford American Dictionary as the primary definition tool and the Bible Encyclopedia as the secondary definition tool if the word is not found in the first.

Thus, when I read a Bible and come accross a word special to that genre, I can get a full definition from the Bible Encyclopedia.
To do that just select the Bible Encyclopedia as THE dictionary and the TWO dictionaries will be used.

You could do that by selecting a Spanish Dictionary as THE dictionary as well.

No other eReader can do that so far as I know.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #15
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Induna, what do you mean, the PW comes with the RAE dictionaries? I only see the Oxford on mine. Am I doing something wrong, or do they need to be purchased separately?
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote