Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 12-19-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
Updating books on the SD card

I have a question for other Jetbook owners:

Do you load new books through the USB to the card installed in your JETBOOK
or do you put the SD card in a reader and write to it there ?

If you load the SD card in the reader do you have a problem getting the Jetbook to open books on the SD card ?

I thought there was a problem with my Jetbook so I took three different cards with me back to the store. The clerks let me play with two different demo models and when I put a new card in the Jetbook, I would get the message loading SD card. But if I try opening a book on the SD card before I have opened one in the Jetbook memory they just hang and the hourglass never goes away. The only way to get out of the loop is to remove the SD card or reset the Jetbook.

If I open a book in the Jetbook memory and then close it, I can then open a book on the SD card with no problem.

I have seen this problem before with Linux OS's and this just may be an OS error that is in the underlying Linux OS of the Jetbook. I seem to remember this with older versions of Ubuntu.
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:41 AM   #2
smg927
Enthusiast
smg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Jetbook
When I first got my Jetbook, I would pop the SD card out of the reader and into my computer to update my books. I did this because I thought the transfer process would be faster than using the USB cable.

I had problems when I popped the SD card back into the Jetbook. Many times the Jetbook would hang and I would reset. I only have books on SD card - none in internal storage.

So I switched to using a USB cable. I do not use the cable supplied with the Jetbook, just one of the USB cables already in my desk drawer. The Jetbook appears as two drives: the internal storage and the SD Card.

Just drag files to the SD card. Like any external device, you have to click the icon in the system tray before disconnecting the USB cable. Sometimes you may have to wait a minute for it to finish writing and then try the disconnect again.

Even though the USB connection is slower, the Jetbook always recognizes all the books on the SD card, so I find the process works better overall using the USB cable.

On a separate issue... I have noticed a problem with pdf files. In this situation 1. open a pdf file on the Jetbook, 2. close it, 3. update the pdf on the computer and 4. copy the updated pdf to the Jetbook. The Jetbook will be unable to open the pdf (without a reset). This does not happen with txt files.
smg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
My laptop has a built in SD/SDHC/MS/MSPro slot on the left side. I just pop the card out of the jetBook and into the laptop, and back. You do have to hotswap the SD card for the jetBook to read it properly. Apparently "off" really means "off" on the jetBook.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by smg927 View Post
On a separate issue... I have noticed a problem with pdf files. In this situation 1. open a pdf file on the Jetbook, 2. close it, 3. update the pdf on the computer and 4. copy the updated pdf to the Jetbook. The Jetbook will be unable to open the pdf (without a reset). This does not happen with txt files.
There is an easy remedy for this: remove the PDF's "Recent Readings" entry. Saves a reset.

Like Jack, I've noticed that the SD card list IS updated correct if I hot-swap it while the jetBook is on. If I put it in "off" or "standby" and then pop the card out, it does not update the file lists.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:36 PM   #5
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
For some reason my jetBook would hang everytime I tried to update the SD card using the device. So now I just remove the card, do any updates, and then put it back into the jetBook and I haven't had any problems. Sometimes it is just too much trouble to try to figure things out!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:44 AM   #6
Dennisvjames
Enthusiast
Dennisvjames began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook
I use Calibre. I make sure to have the Jetbook off when I attach the USB cable...yes, off does mean off :-). Calibre sees it and the SD card. I click on the book I want to upload and tell it where I want it placed. It converts it to ePub and resizes the book for the Jetbook on the way up and does all the other image placement as well. Before Calibre I would have occasional burps with books from different sources.
Dennisvjames is offline   Reply With Quote