Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-06-2023, 06:27 PM   #181
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Patches work even better then sidloadmode (which I do not like) as I like the home screen.
In your opinion. Loads of people prefer the SideloadedMode=true and the Kobo Store can still easily be used.

Patches are more complex to install, can have side effects and need updated after a Firmware update. Obviously they suit suit some people.

But simply using My Books tab and doing nothing else will suffice. Patches are mostly for things other than the Kobo Store.

What's great about Kobo Ereader, it that it's easier to ignore the Store than Kindle, it works better than any ereader with Calibre, the My Books & Search combined with Collections (Shelves) and Series lets you quickly find any book even if there are 10,000.

Also the Kobo Store works well in Browser and the downloaded purchase isn't locked to one ereader like Amazon. You don't even need a Kobo or Kobo app.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 06:32 PM   #182
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
In your opinion. Loads of people prefer the SideloadedMode=true and the Kobo Store can still easily be used.

Patches are more complex to install, can have side effects and need updated after a Firmware update. Obviously they suit suit some people.

But simply using My Books tab and doing nothing else will suffice. Patches are mostly for things other than the Kobo Store.

What's great about Kobo Ereader, it that it's easier to ignore the Store than Kindle, it works better than any ereader with Calibre, the My Books & Search combined with Collections (Shelves) and Series lets you quickly find any book even if there are 10,000.

Also the Kobo Store works well in Browser and the downloaded purchase isn't locked to one ereader like Amazon. You don't even need a Kobo or Kobo app.
Sideloadmode does away with the home screen so no. I would never ever recommend it to anyone.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 06:16 AM   #183
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sideloadmode does away with the home screen so no. I would never ever recommend it to anyone.
The only thing on the Home Screen not done better in My Books is the shop. It does also occasionally put the "tour" thing at the start.
I know eight local people happier now that the "My Books" is the home screen and stock "Home Screen" is gone.
Also the other main tab that's purely the shop goes in SideloadedMode.

Have you actually used all the options in "My Books"?

But the OP specifically complained about the Shop/Store. Using My Book without doing any patches or the SideloadedMode=true avoids it.

The main reason not to do SideloadedMode=true is to sync more than one Kobo or to buy/download ebooks on the device from the Store. You edit all your ebooks in Calibre, so I can't imagine why you insist no-one should use SideloadedMode=true, or insist that the stock Home Page is better than My Books.

@JSWolf. Do re-read what the OP wrote.
Old 09-07-2023, 06:52 AM   #184
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The only thing on the Home Screen not done better in My Books is the shop. It does also occasionally put the "tour" thing at the start.
I know eight local people happier now that the "My Books" is the home screen and stock "Home Screen" is gone.
Also the other main tab that's purely the shop goes in SideloadedMode.

Have you actually used all the options in "My Books"?

But the OP specifically complained about the Shop/Store. Using My Book without doing any patches or the SideloadedMode=true avoids it.

The main reason not to do SideloadedMode=true is to sync more than one Kobo or to buy/download ebooks on the device from the Store. You edit all your ebooks in Calibre, so I can't imagine why you insist no-one should use SideloadedMode=true, or insist that the stock Home Page is better than My Books.

@JSWolf. Do re-read what the OP wrote.
The OP wrote that thre is a new firmware available. The OP is the one who started the thread. There is no other OP here. So according to the OP, we are way off-topic.
Old 09-07-2023, 07:56 AM   #185
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
The OP wrote that thre is a new firmware available. The OP is the one who started the thread. There is no other OP here. So according to the OP, we are way off-topic.
The OP didn't write anything; his bot did
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 08:03 AM   #186
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
The OP didn't write anything; his bot did
OK, the bot is the OP.
Old 09-07-2023, 11:21 AM   #187
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
The Original Poster of the question being answered, not the thread, which is created by a bot.
Old 09-07-2023, 12:15 PM   #188
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The Original Poster of the question being answered, not the thread, which is created by a bot.
The OP is still whoever created the thread be it a bot of a human.
Old 09-07-2023, 02:18 PM   #189
Multics
Enthusiast
Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: SONY PRS-T1
Confused

Everyone says sideloadmode but they don't say where to find it. I haven't found it.

I have not looked into marking the books read as I spent about 2 hours+ so far reading the forum. I've taking a break.
Multics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 02:35 PM   #190
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
You can either go to Settings => Accounts and sign out of your Kobo account or you can edit the Kobo eReader.conf file and add SideloadedMode=true under the [ApplicationPreferences] header. You will find the Kobo eReader.conf file in the .kobo/Kobo directory. This entry is case sensitive and you need to use an editor that respects the Linux EOL (Notepad++ under Windows, any editor under Linux or MacOS).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 02:46 PM   #191
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You can either go to Settings => Accounts and sign out of your Kobo account or you can edit the Kobo eReader.conf file and add SideloadedMode=true under the [ApplicationPreferences] header. You will find the Kobo eReader.conf file in the .kobo/Kobo directory. This entry is case sensitive and you need to use an editor that respects the Linux EOL (Notepad++ under Windows, any editor under Linux or MacOS).
Yes, and exactly that matching case. SideloadedMode=true
not sideloadedmode or sideLoadedmode etc.

If you later sign in the entry remains and is set to false, so you simply edit false to true, not add the entry again. It might move down the list.
Old 09-07-2023, 03:24 PM   #192
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Do you think sideloadmode could be made an option with NickelMenu?
Old 09-07-2023, 05:16 PM   #193
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

It's one click to cancel it in Settings. That brings back everything and sets it to false rather than removing it.
It's only re-enabling is an issue, so NickelMenu would only need to add it or change it from false to true.

I only had NickleMenu when I had KOReader for a while. I removed all that once the per document PDF crop/zoom was added and working.

Tags
firmware, firmware release