Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #16
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
History has proven that copyright actually stymies book creation. There hasn't been a single worthwhile book created since the advent of the copyright.

Lee
That's just utter nonsense.

Wait, I get it. This is a parody thread, right?
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #17
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
I think people in this thread need to turn on their sarcasm radars.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #18
apbschmitz
Lord of Frogtown
apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Okay, this is from the perspective of someone who has made a living from writing for the past 35 years. Why is this conversation limited to intellectual property? To extend the logic a bit, why shouldn't all property be open to all takers? I suppose I'd be happy enough to give away what I make if I could take everything else I need. Is that part of the deal?
apbschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by apbschmitz View Post
Okay, this is from the perspective of someone who has made a living from writing for the past 35 years. Why is this conversation limited to intellectual property? To extend the logic a bit, why shouldn't all property be open to all takers? I suppose I'd be happy enough to give away what I make if I could take everything else I need. Is that part of the deal?
Isn't that why communism failed? Everyone owns everything so no one creates anything?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #20
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Isn't that why communism failed? Everyone owns everything so no one creates anything?

BOb
In communism, the single party owned everything. That is not the same as saying everyone owned everything.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:49 PM   #21
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
I think people in this thread need to turn on their sarcasm radars.
That's what I thought at the beginning, then I thought ... wait he's serious? Then I realized that no, he's not really serious.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
That's what I thought at the beginning, then I thought ... wait he's serious? Then I realized that no, he's not really serious.
so the purpose of this thread is what? To poke fun at another member that feels there should be no copyright?

If that is the case I will be happy to remove it. Personal attacks, direct, indirect, publicly posted or in PMs are not allowed or tolerated here.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #23
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Yep... Just Lee poking with a stick..
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #24
carld
Wizard

Quote:
so the purpose of this thread is what? To poke fun at another member that feels there should be no copyright?

If that is the case I will be happy to remove it. Personal attacks, direct, indirect, publicly posted or in PMs are not allowed or tolerated here.

BOb
Yeah, I'm thinking that's probably the case. But, I'm not the thread author, maybe he's serious.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The is pure fantasy. Can we please get this thread closed and the OP committed?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:07 PM   #27
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Seriously? How do you earn your living? Does someone pay you for your production? Would you continue doing the work for their benefit if you weren't paid.

BOb
Well, I admit I'm a greedy capitalist b@stard. I'm self interested and consider profit a virtue. So no, I'm not going to be creating any such types of work for the good of mankind.

But I'm sure that a legion of other people will continue to expend their energies so that I continue to be both entertained and enlightened.

For proof -- well, look at all the bloggers who put their thoughts on the internet for free.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:07 PM   #28
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry, but that statement proves that you're just being silly.

If you honestly believe that no worthwhile books have been written since the 17th century, we really have no more to discuss.
I'm just carrying on that side of the debate until the real anarchists and communists step up to the plate and carry their fair share of this debate.

Lee
Old 05-13-2011, 03:09 PM   #29
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
As for authors, are Stephen King or Dean Koontz or any other big name author going to keep writing when they can no longer make a living at it? A few will, as will some musicians, but like I said, most will abandon creative work and look for something that actually affords them a living.
We'll be well rid of such greedy societal leeches. In their place an army awaits to fulfill our every need...all without the greedy selfish desire to keep their work out of the hands of the poor.

Lee
Old 05-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #30
spellbanisher
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I'm just carrying on that side of the debate until the real anarchists and communists step up to the plate and carry their fair share of this debate.

Lee
You seem to see the world in a communist/capitalist dichotomy. The cold war ended twenty years ago.