Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-02-2015, 06:00 AM   #1
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
PB 626 freezing when updating large library database

I have a large library of several thousands of books on my 32 GB SD card (Gutenberg and other freebees). When I add one or more books, my PocketBook Touch Lux 2 (626) tends to freeze several times while the database is being updated. The only way out is a reset. When I'm back on the home screen I usually see that books have been added, and the battery has gone down significantly, sometimes more than 20%. If the database update is not complete yet it will continue.

The battery drainage suggests that the PB was still doing something while the screen was frozen, probably going through some loop without adding books to the database. I've let it run during the night a couple of times without resetting. The result was that in the morning the battery was empty and sometimes only a small number of books had been added to the database.

First I thought the problem was my SD card, but the same thing happens with other cards (different brands).

My PB has had this behavior from the beginning, with all firmware versions that I've used, but it has become a real issue now that I cannot turn off the database refreshing in 5.12.

Does anyone have a similar experience? Any idea if there is anything I can do about this?

Last edited by Zetmolm; 12-02-2015 at 06:10 AM.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 04:40 AM   #2
bartoque
bartoque began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook touch lux 2 / 626
Ah, but at least you were able to update to the latest firmware even. on my touch lux 2/ 626 firmware update hangs while performing the "database update...". The thing isn't doing anything anymore for multiple days. Also have a large amount of books on its internal storage. That's the idea, isn't it? To allocate the space, when it is available...

Also have many .cbr files on using rkomar's wonderful pbimageviewer, beiong located on SD card.
bartoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2015, 06:53 AM   #3
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I managed to finish the update after removing the SD card. Then the database update completed successfully. In your case, you might be able to finish the update after also removing a lot of books from the internal memory. Once you have the update done you can try to add the books again, but you can expect problems. When I had re-inserted my SD card yesterday my PB crashed at least a dozen times in a couple of hours. And so I removed the SD card again, and have only a limited number of books in internal memory now.

Too bad, because one of the main reasons why I bought a PocketBook is that it is one of the few readers that is supposed to be able to handle large libraries...

Perhaps it's better to stick with 5.9 for now.

I sent a question to PB Support in the Netherlands (that's where I am), but no reply yet.

Last edited by Zetmolm; 12-03-2015 at 06:56 AM.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:36 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartoque View Post
Also have many .cbr files on using rkomar's wonderful pbimageviewer, beiong located on SD card.
@Melgo reported that pbimageviewer stopped working with CBR files in the latest firmware on his Touch Lux 3. I installed the latest beta (5.11) on my Inkpad, and saw the same problem there. So, it's likely that when you get the install sorted out that pbimageviewer won't be working properly for you anymore. I believe that it's an issue with newer library versions on the device than are in the SDK, and the problem can't be fixed until a new version of the SDK is released.

Anyway, if you get that far, report back whether pbimageviewer still works for you or not after the update.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:58 PM   #5
bartoque

as I cant access the contents of the 626 internal storage, I cant reduce the amount of books on it. removing sd card I already tried. didnt help. still will hang.

I also send a message to PB support. also no response as of yet.

but even if the update would work, it does appear to be having major db issues.

i guess a downgrade isnt possible?
Advert
Old 12-04-2015, 04:45 PM   #6
Zetmolm
Guru

A downgrade is always possible. Shouldn't be a problem to install 5.9 again.

I got a reply from PocketBook exactly 48 hours after logging the issue. They recommended formatting the internal memory. I had already tried that, and for me that was not a solution. So I asked again for a solution.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:30 PM   #7
bartoque

I put the 5.9 firmware on my SD card, pushed both the up/down keys and powered it on. It installed the 5.9 without a problem. Now pocketbook is working again. Also no problem with pbimageviewer.

disabled auto update. will wait for a new release...

Last edited by bartoque; 12-04-2015 at 05:31 PM. Reason: typo