Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-09-2019, 05:31 PM   #31
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
They forgot to put me on the list this time - seriously, I didn't even get the press release email the morning of the launch.
Sorry to hear that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The Libra H2O is the six-inch version - or at least I feel it's the same size as my 6" ereaders even though it does have a 7" screen. (The review unit arrived this afternoon.)
Glad to hear that yours arrived. Looking forward to your review. I guess you have a point about the size and weight being close to 6" — but I'm not sure how much I'd like the 7" screen over the 6" one. So far I'm having trouble adjusting to my Tolino Epos (7.8"). Lines are too long with standard sized fonts and bigger fonts look kind of weird. I'm sure the 7" would be less of an adjustment but I'm used to 6" screens now.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:37 PM   #32
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yeah, the same price as the Clara is stupid. I hate to say it, but $50 is too cheap. I mean, grab one while the getting is good. But that $50 price has to be them clearing out some stock.
They had them there before (around Christmas and a month — or so — after), but they eventually posted "Clearance" near the end. Then they were gone for a few days, and then new ones showed up at $70 that were labeled "Walmart Exclusive Edition." Maybe now they're clearing out the Walmart "exclusive editions?" Like I said. No idea what's going on with these. I'm guessing Walmart is getting ready to insert the Libra into the lineup. Maybe all this shifting around has something to do with that.
Advert
Old 09-11-2019, 02:47 PM   #33
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
I really, really don't like the asymmetric, right-side "handle". Is this even reversible? (I mean, it seems to be designed to be held right-handed; what about readers who want to hold their devices left-handed?)
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:12 PM   #34
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If it's the same as the Forma you can rotate it through 90, 180 and 270 degrees.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:37 PM   #35
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
There’re reviews for the Libra which show it can be rotated to be read in landscape or portrait with the buttons on either the left or right, top or bottom.

These can be found in the two threads that predate this one. I’d add it’s for this sort of reason that people should resist making new threads on topics already being discussed. One thread is in this sub forum the other is in the Kobo sub forum.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2019, 05:38 PM   #36
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
I really, really don't like the asymmetric, right-side "handle". Is this even reversible? (I mean, it seems to be designed to be held right-handed; what about readers who want to hold their devices left-handed?)
If you want to hold it left-handed, simply rotate it and grab with your left hand. The screen will autorotate to any of the four orientations though the landscape with the buttons on top is of rather limited utility.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:01 PM   #37
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
... though the landscape with the buttons on top is of rather limited utility.
It might seem that way, but it's handy if you're reading landscape in bed, laying on your left side and want to press buttons with left hand. Been there, done that. You could argue if that's "rather limited utility" or not, but I've been glad to have it on occasion
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:17 PM   #38
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If you want to hold it left-handed, simply rotate it and grab with your left hand. The screen will autorotate to any of the four orientations though the landscape with the buttons on top is of rather limited utility.
It would be nice if they would do what they did with the Sony PRS-950, provide a dual-column option when reading in landscape mode.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:55 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...-reader-e-book

7" 300 DPI Mobius screen, one-hand design, waterproof, adjustable warm light, 8GB, 6.7oz (for comparison, 7" oasis is 6.8oz)

Doesn't look as sleek as oasis, the screen looks quite recessed, but it's like $100 less than the ad free oasis, and the Mobius screen doesn't crack, so it's an intriguing offering. Now that Kindles aren't jail breakable anymore, Kobo is becoming more appealing to me personally.

CORRECTION: sorry, it does NOT have a Mobius screen. I'm confused.
Speaking of the Oasis 3, the Libra H2O has better graphics then the Oasis 3. The graphics on the Kobo have ore contrast and more detail. The Kindle has less contrast and less detail.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 02:40 PM   #40
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Speaking of the Oasis 3, the Libra H2O has better graphics then the Oasis 3. The graphics on the Kobo have ore contrast and more detail. The Kindle has less contrast and less detail.
How does it have more detail? They are both 300 DPI. Where did you hear that it had more contrast? Was that in one of the reviews?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:22 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Shorthand link deleted

Good E readers review..

What I want to know is why do BadEReader set the Kobo to make it look like the Kindle when the Kobo can be set to look better?

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-12-2019 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:45 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
How does it have more detail? They are both 300 DPI. Where did you hear that it had more contrast? Was that in one of the reviews?

Shari
Attached is a grab from the video by BadEReader comparing the Libra to the Oasis, you'll see that the Kobo has better contrast and better detail. Look at the uniforms. There are spots on the uniform on the kindle that look washed out in comparison to the Kobo.

Also, someone on MR asked for screen grabs from different Readers using a graphic image to show how well the different gradients were displayed and Kobo was better then the Kindle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KoboOasis.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	173435  
Old 09-12-2019, 07:53 PM   #43
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Attached is a grab from the video by BadEReader comparing the Libra to the Oasis, you'll see that the Kobo has better contrast and better detail. Look at the uniforms. There are spots on the uniform on the kindle that look washed out in comparison to the Kobo.

Also, someone on MR asked for screen grabs from different Readers using a graphic image to show how well the different gradients were displayed and Kobo was better then the Kindle.
The Kindle looks more "washed out," in these pictures, but how do I know where the lighting level has been set on each one?
Old 09-12-2019, 09:17 PM   #44
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
The Kindle looks more "washed out," in these pictures, but how do I know where the lighting level has been set on each one?
Even a camera angle can cause that. There's no way to tell, based on a photo only.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:30 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
The lights are not on.