Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-27-2016, 10:24 AM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
One of my first MR threads was about USB issues with TWO, first batch, Astak EZReader Pocket Pro that would not play nice/at all, with Intel enhanced USB2 (very common chipset).

They worked on USB1 or if you disabled the Intel Enhanced driver.
It worked with USB2 if the host used some other USB chipset (not common )

I bought a 2nd gen Astak PP, and it just worked (same FW). Edge case parts?

Since neither of us saw widespread comments here at MR, we probably just had edge case device hardware.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:08 AM   #17
pjmpjm
Zealot
pjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Fire HD 10
chaley and theducks and others who wrote to try to help . . . thanks again. USB cable working again but I'm not at all sure that it's because I disabled port suspension on my Windows 10 computer. All three USB ports always seemed to work OK with my other two Kindles and with all four USB cables. Will wait and see how it goes. All the feedback much appreciated.
pjmpjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2016, 12:35 AM   #18
pjmpjm
Zealot
pjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchfork

Windows 10 USB Issues with Fire HD 10

theducks, I don't see how my problem could have been the USB ports (since my other two Kindles worked OK with the same ports), but nevertheless, since I disabled port suspension (as per my earlier message), Fire has been talking to Calibre non-stop. Fingers crossed. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
One of my first MR threads was about USB issues with TWO, first batch, Astak EZReader Pocket Pro that would not play nice/at all, with Intel enhanced USB2 (very common chipset).

They worked on USB1 or if you disabled the Intel Enhanced driver.
It worked with USB2 if the host used some other USB chipset (not common )

I bought a 2nd gen Astak PP, and it just worked (same FW). Edge case parts?

Since neither of us saw widespread comments here at MR, we probably just had edge case device hardware.

Last edited by pjmpjm; 03-02-2016 at 12:35 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 03-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmpjm View Post
theducks, I don't see how my problem could have been the USB ports (since my other two Kindles worked OK with the same ports), but nevertheless, since I disabled port suspension (as per my earlier message), Fire has been talking to Calibre non-stop. Fingers crossed. Thanks again!
Remember: The device has a port also. They need to play together nicely.
(hardware) Timing is everything. As a former r&D (very little research ) electronics technician, my job was to assemble test cases with the tolerance edge cases of critical parts and run the product at the edge cases of design operating temperatures. Shake and Bake, Drop testing, all the FUN parts of product design
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:48 AM   #20
pjmpjm
Zealot

Ports Playing Nicely Together

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Remember: The device has a port also. They need to play together nicely. (hardware) Timing is everything. As a former r&D (very little research ) electronics technician, my job was to assemble test cases with the tolerance edge cases of critical parts and run the product at the edge cases of design operating temperatures. Shake and Bake, Drop testing, all the FUN parts of product design
Well, then, that could be it! Anyhow, am coming into Day 4 at present, with a Fire still talking to Calibre. Thanks again for this great tip, theducks.
Advert
Old 10-08-2019, 11:21 AM   #21
Zaza78990
Zaza78990 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRNT2
Androïd Device directory scanning

I understand that the first time I connect my Androïd device Caliber has to scan the whole device to detect the directory structure.

Once done, where (in the device) I can specify the actual directories whre books are located?

Does anybody has the answer?
Zaza78990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:03 PM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Right click the device icon in calibre and choose configure this device to specify the directories to scan
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 01:09 AM   #23
santiagodraco
santiagodraco began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaza78990 View Post
I understand that the first time I connect my Androïd device Caliber has to scan the whole device to detect the directory structure.

Once done, where (in the device) I can specify the actual directories whre books are located?

Does anybody has the answer?
The problem I'm seeing is that it's not scanning for folders (which would not take very long) it's force scanning the entire device and all possible file types and it's taking forever. You can't cancel the job or pull the cable (without risking corruption of the DB which has happened to me already).

When calibre fist saw the device it asked if I wanted it to manage it but didn't say it would scan everything. With 750gb of data on the device this is locking up the device while it reads everything....

It would be nice to be prompted first. Additionally if I ask to cancel the scanning job so I can get access to the device configuration (to limit folders it scans) it should. Lastly it should not be reading mps, cbr, etc etc by default. These aren't ebooks.

I LOVE Calibre (and I've donated) but this is super frustrating. Sitting here wondering if it will ever complete and unable to unplug my phone to stop it without risking data corruption.
santiagodraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 07:59 AM   #24
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It does not scan the contents (aka read metadata) of anything other than ebook files. And MTP is a transacted protocol you can pull the plug on it anytime without corrupting anything, in any case what calibre is doing is read only to all but the calibre.driveinfo and metadata.calibre files so nothing on your device can possibly get corrupted from it other than those two files which you can delete and have calibre rebuild anytime you like..
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote