Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-06-2019, 01:01 AM   #16
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I'll start the vote in about a half day or so for any other nominations coming in.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:30 AM   #17
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
I'll just squeak in quickly with 3 selfish ones , they being on my own to read list and loaded ready to read.

Two detective novels for a change, the first a NZ author. Light but I think they qualify as literature .

Death in a White Tie - Dame Ngaio Marsh
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_in_a_White_Tie

Hercules Poirot's Christmas - Agatha Christie
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hercul...%27s_Christmas

and the last

Party Going - Henry Green
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_Going
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:53 AM   #18
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Sounds good, AnotherCat! Nominating for selfish reasons to reduce your TBR? The horror of it! Did I fail to mention I already own Invitation to the Waltz?
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:28 PM   #19
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
I'll just squeak in quickly
Squeak away!

I'll get the first post updated with all the nominations then start the vote.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:08 PM   #20
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Nominations are complete and voting is now open!

Voting will close exactly four days from this post.

Each person has EIGHT votes to use.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:53 PM   #21
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

The Party looks just the kind of book I'd like as I loved Brideshead Revisited (the book and the 80s series), and while I haven't read The Talented Mr. Ripley, I did love the film and liked the other Highsmith, The Price of Salt, we read for the club. I haven't read any Marsh before (well, I may have as a kid but I don't remember) and I love a good mystery and I see this is regarded as perhaps one of her finest. And I've been interested in TransAtlantic for awhile. So I'll begin by doling out half my votes:

-2 to The Party
-1 to Death in a White Tie
-1 to TransAtlantic

Also, AnotherCat, did you realise that all three of your nominations were within a year of each other in the 30s? 1938, 1938 and 1939. It's an interesting coincidence if inadvertent.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:30 PM   #22
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Death in a White Tie - 2
Party Going - 2
The Party - 2
Hercules Poirot's Christmas - 2

Sun Surfer, I knew that they were all from the same approximate time period but having them so close together timewise was completely inadvertent. I hope I haven't got myself stuck in a time rut as far as reading goes .
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:15 AM   #23
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Party by Elizabeth Day - 2
Invitation to the Waltz by Rosamund Lehmann - 1
TransAtlantic by Colum McCann - 2
Party Going by Henry Green - 1
A History of the World in 10½ Chapters by Julian Barnes - 1
There There by Tommy Orange - 1
Old 10-10-2019, 01:15 AM   #24
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

All the books sound interesting this month. It's always hard to choose.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:06 PM   #25
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I didn’t get a chance to read all the previews but I read most. I’ll finish my votes with:

-1 to Party Going
-1 to Hercule Poirot’s Christmas
-1 to Invitation to the Waltz
-1 to There There

Really I would’ve been happy with any of them this month. I read Green’s Loving in the last year or two and liked it, and Party Going looks as good too. I’m a fan of Christie and though I don’t remember specifically reading this one I think I might have, though long enough ago that a re-read would be close to as fresh as new. Invitation to the Waltz also sounds great. And There There was nominated for the Pulitzer and National Book Award among many others, was a New York Times 10 Best Books of the Year, and Margaret Atwood called it ‘an astounding literary debut’.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:19 PM   #26
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I won’t be able to update the first post for a little while but voting is closed and it looks like The Party has it with a unanimous max vote count!
Old 10-11-2019, 04:54 PM   #27
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

As already mentioned (though it looks so snazzy in colour ) the winner is The Party by Elizabeth Day. I'll have the discussion thread up soon.

Edit- And it's up!

Last edited by sun surfer; 10-15-2019 at 05:08 AM.