Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-05-2014, 05:21 AM   #166
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Try his latest (Never Go Back). Of his latest books, I thought this was one of his best.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:48 AM   #167
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
Try his latest (Never Go Back). Of his latest books, I thought this was one of his best.
great, thanks for the recommendation!

after this last book i don't think i will be reading any more of the reacher series without specific recommendation.
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #168
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Let me know now you like it.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:01 PM   #169
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I hate to ressurect such an old thread, but this is really the perfect place for the article I just read. (Mods, we can create a new thread if you really prefer.) Article boils out that Jack Reacher is a Myth and that's what we like about him.

https://slate.com/culture/2019/09/an...ntent=TheAngle
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:04 PM   #170
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I hate to ressurect such an old thread, but this is really the perfect place for the article I just read. (Mods, we can create a new thread if you really prefer.) Article boils out that Jack Reacher is a Myth and that's what we like about him.

LOL, I'm the OP of this thread. I have no issue you bringing it back. Back some time ago I was reading Jack Reacher fairly often. Now I read maybe 1 a year. I tried to read them in order. But I skipped a few the last time I read one earlier this year after I searched for the ones with the better reviews. It's hit or miss. Some are great, others no so much, but I still enjoyed them all anyway. That was an interesting article you linked to.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:03 PM   #171
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I too am reading about one a year. I'm not skipping any though. I like them all, but they are formulaic so reading several gets wearing. There was one book though, with a seeming cliff-hanger at the end. THAT one got its follow-up read immediately!
Old 09-20-2019, 04:42 AM   #172
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
... Now I read maybe 1 a year. I tried to read them in order. ...
There is a new one due in October 29th - Blue Moon
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:00 AM   #173
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
There is a new one due in October 29th - Blue Moon
I know. I received an email notice from Amazon.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:03 AM   #174
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

By the way ...
I have recently found out that Lee Child published an out-of-order "Jack Reacher" in May 2019.
Cleaning the Gold - The first book in the Jack Reacher and Will Trent series
A Novella by Lee Child and Karin Slaughter

In Cleaning the Gold Reacher meets with Will Trent from another popular series by Karin Slaughter. Karin Slaughter books have been tentatively put in my "To Be Read" queue.

In Cleaning the Gold Will Trent seeks Reacher regarding an unsolved murder.
You might want to refresh your memory regarding the Killing Floor - first part of the Jack Reacher series which took part in Margrave, Georgia and where Reacher was [briefly] put in jail while falsely accused by a sheriff.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:56 PM   #175
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Ohhh, I remember the jail bits from Killing Floor!! I'll look up "Cleaning the Gold". Thanks!
Old 09-23-2019, 03:42 PM   #176
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post

I found the later books to be better written and have better plots.

I never could stomach his habit of traveling with just a toothbrush. B.O. anyone?
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:58 PM   #177
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I was astounded to read that Lee Childs starts writing without the slightest idea about the story or the characters, but by crafting an arresting opening few paragraphs, and slowly works forward from there.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:55 PM   #178
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post
I was astounded to read that Lee Childs starts writing without the slightest idea about the story or the characters, but by crafting an arresting opening few paragraphs, and slowly works forward from there.
Cool! I like the way that technique works out for him.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:57 AM   #179
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
I never could stomach his habit of traveling with just a toothbrush. B.O. anyone?
Let me quote nice post by Stitchawl from earlier in this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
... Many of us would love to be 6'6", 225lb of solid muscle, having absolutely no responsibilities other than what one wishes to take on, having no possessions that require care, and the skills and abilities to meet every challenge with confidence, and meeting a different beautiful woman in every town we stop in who will simply fall into our beds without complications...
Imagine having absolutely no worries in the world except about which hotel or motel you are going to sleep tonight in and which dinner you are going to eat your next meal at. Toothbrush in one pocket, debit card (appeared in latest books) and/or a wad of money in the other. In the latest book Will Trent repeatedly looks at the toothbrush and musses about how unhygienic it must be. That part of the text was undoubtedly written by Karin Slaughter ;-)
Old 12-22-2019, 01:43 PM   #180
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
I've continued to read the Jack Reacher series, but selectively. There are sites like this one that describe what they think are the best but more importantly what they think are the worst.

https://www.orderofbooks.com/blog/to...reacher-books/

While I wish that the Jack Reacher character was not so over the top, I do think that some of Childs' plots are pretty good.
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote