Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-10-2019, 04:06 AM   #1
flensrowi
flensrowi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis2, Basic Kindle 10th Gen, Pocketbook Touch Lux
[Kindle]No Cover when transferring manually via USB or Web Browser

Hi,

I'm converting ePub Books to azw3 with Calibre for my Kindle O2.

Everything is fine if the Kindle is connected via USB and Calibre transfers the book to the main memory. If the book is copied manually to the documents directory there's no cover.

What I really want is to be able to convert and access the converted book remotely. As it's not possible to send the awz3 format to the kindle via email I'm using calibre's webserver and download the book with the browser on my kindle. This works but again without cover.

So Calibre does some magic to the kindle when it's connected Is there a way to get the book an the kindle without the need to connect it via usb and transfer it with calibre?
flensrowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:07 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Not that I know of (via Calibre, at least).

Over the years, there's been a few custom wireless transfer scripts written for personal use by various people, but I've never used any of 'em, and not all of 'em may be handling PDOC/ASIN/thumbnail shenanigans properly. And all of 'em require a jailbroken device.

Take all that with a grain of salt, since I haven't been using a Kindle as a daily-driver for more than a few years now (and wireless transfer was never really on my radar).

(But, yeah, as you surmised, there is some trickery involved in the Calibre Kindle driver when using "Send To Device" over USB, in order to make it "just work" ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:59 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is an entry in the FAQ about this https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...droid-ipad-etc
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:18 PM   #4
flensrowi
flensrowi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis2, Basic Kindle 10th Gen, Pocketbook Touch Lux
Oh, sorry, I'm talking about azw3 format
flensrowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:36 PM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Kindle devices do not extract cover thumbnail images from azw3 format.

If you use calibre to sideload an azw3 book via USB it will create a thumbnail image with the proper name and format and put it into the correct location for it to show up on the Kindle. I don't believe that there is any way to do that using the web browser.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote