Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-24-2007, 01:15 PM   #1
pluber
pluber began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Extra AC charger for the eReader?

I've somehow lost the AC wall charger for my eReader. Does anyone know how to get a replacement? I assumed one came with the cradle accessory, but looking at the box in the store, it looks like it's just the cradle sans charger. The input voltage is also odd (5.2V), so I don't think a universal charger from the likes of Radio Shack will work. Any ideas?
pluber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:22 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Go to any games store and buy a PlayStation Portable (PSP) charger; it works fine with the Reader. I have one myself which I use as a spare.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2007, 01:49 PM   #3
pluber
pluber began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I'll give that a shot! Thanks so much for the tip!
pluber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 02:42 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The Universal charger form Radio Shack (if you mean the iGo products) will work just fine if you get a PSP tip for it, if you're wanting to do that anyway.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:43 PM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
A link to the Sony Spares Store:
http://servicesales.sel.sony.com/web...rchText=prs500
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2007, 05:09 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
But by the time you buy the 'official' charger ($35), and the 'official' power cord to plug it in ($15), you could have bought two PSP chargers, or an iGo charger and still had plenty of money for several cups of BigBuck's Coffee.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:11 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
About $50 for the power adaptor + the cord? That's definitely a rip-off.

I did purcase an A54 for the iGo car adapter which is the PSP tip. We have two iGo car adaptors and a wall plug cigarette lighter converter. So we can use this in he house if we had to.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:48 PM   #8
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
You can probably go to a GameStop or EB Games and pick up a used PSP charger for <$10. i use mine interchangably around here.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:09 PM   #9
frank10
frank10 began at the beginning.

Device: psp-500
will the reader charge via usb?
frank10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:12 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Normally, yes, but only from a PC which has the "Connect" software (or alternates) installed. It won't charge from a "dumb" USB power supply, or similar.

However if the Reader's battery gets too flat - eg if you leave the MP3 player playing, and it goes completely flat - USB charging won't work and you need to use the wall charger.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:53 PM   #11
jwhayn
Enthusiast
jwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with others

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Normally, yes, but only from a PC which has the "Connect" software (or alternates) installed. It won't charge from a "dumb" USB power supply, or similar.

However if the Reader's battery gets too flat - eg if you leave the MP3 player playing, and it goes completely flat - USB charging won't work and you need to use the wall charger.
Actually I charge routinely from a dumb USB power supply which has a standard USB port. I bought a no brand PSP 2 IN 1 USB charger/data cable on Ebay (less than $10 shipped). I use only the charger cable end when charging from the dumb USB charger and the mini-cable end when working with a laptop. The unused cable end just dangles. The former option works with totally discharged batteries.

Last edited by jwhayn; 08-03-2007 at 04:30 PM.
jwhayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:01 PM   #12
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhayn View Post
Actually I charge routinely from a dumb USB power supply which has a standard USB port. I bought a no brand PSP 2 IN 1 USB charger/data cable on Ebay (less than $10 shipped). I use only the charger cable when charging from the dumb USB charger and the mini-cable when working with a laptop. The former option works with totally discharged batteries.
I have only heard of charging from dumb USB ports on a MAC. The rest of us are envious of you.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 02:49 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhayn View Post
Actually I charge routinely from a dumb USB power supply which has a standard USB port. I bought a no brand PSP 2 IN 1 USB charger/data cable on Ebay (less than $10 shipped). I use only the charger cable end when charging from the dumb USB charger and the mini-cable end when working with a laptop. The unused cable end just dangles. The former option works with totally discharged batteries.
If you're using a PSP charger which is powered by USB, but plugs into the charger socket of the Reader then yes, that will work. What I was referring to was charging via a standard USB cable. That only works on a PC with Connect installed (or, according to some, on a Mac, but it doesn't work on my Mac!)
Old 08-04-2007, 02:48 PM   #14
jwhayn
Enthusiast
jwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with others

Device: Kindle Voyage
Just a genric usb wall charger

Either Belkin or a Blackberry charger work. I just use the charger cable end of the 2 in 1 cable from Ebay and not the miniUSB end.

Last edited by jwhayn; 08-05-2007 at 02:57 PM.
jwhayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 02:34 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Now that is wierd! You're certain it's charging? The red light above the power switch comes on?