Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 03:00 AM   #16
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
I use wpa_supplicant on laptop. It starts conf file with:
wpa_supplicant -i wlan0 -c /dev/wpa_supplicant.conf -B
For k3 it should be a bit different, but the point is the same.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:16 AM   #17
Piglet
Piglet began at the beginning.

Device: K3
This thread is very interesting - I have a Kindle 3 and the place I'm most likely to run out of reading matter is during lunchtime at work where we have an open Enterprise Wifi for visitors....which of course the Kindle 3 will not connect to....

To conserve battery life I turn wifi on and off, and while I use a solaris shell most of the day at work I am no *nix kindle-exploring guru like some people seem to be - so don't fully follow what's being discussed here

Has anyone taken this research any further to allow connection to such networks? I've searched and found nothing more than in this thread.
Piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2010, 11:49 AM   #18
vidalpascual
vidalpascual began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Could you tell me (please) what commands I have to put in the kindle to use this script? Need I to have installed USBNetwork (I'm not sure for what it is used)?

Please, help me! I need to connect my Kindle 3 to a enterprise WiFi Network.
vidalpascual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #19
otichy
Connoisseur
otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: KPW
What an excellent idea, thanks everybody! This way, one can be on wifi on most European campuses without any hassle.

There are step by step instructions specifically for eduroam right here: http://frakira.fi.muni.cz/~antos/201...e-and-eduroam/
otichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:40 AM   #20
kindle3wifi
kindle3wifi plays well with otherskindle3wifi plays well with otherskindle3wifi plays well with otherskindle3wifi plays well with otherskindle3wifi plays well with otherskindle3wifi plays well with otherskindle3wifi plays well with otherskindle3wifi plays well with otherskindle3wifi plays well with otherskindle3wifi plays well with otherskindle3wifi plays well with others

Device: Kindle 3 wifi
Thanks for your help!

Is it possible to connect to ad-hoc networks with

#!/bin/sh

sleep 6

id="`wpa_cli add_network | sed -n '2p'`"

exec="`wpa_cli << EOF
set_network $id mode 1
set_network $id ssid \"Joikuspot_ibss\"
set_network $id scan_ssid 1
set_network $id key_mgmt NONE
enable_network $id
quit
EOF
`"
echo $exec
kindle3wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2011, 08:24 AM   #21
Caster
Caster began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindle3wifi View Post
Thanks for your help!

Is it possible to connect to ad-hoc networks with

#!/bin/sh

sleep 6

id="`wpa_cli add_network | sed -n '2p'`"

exec="`wpa_cli << EOF
set_network $id mode 1
set_network $id ssid \"Joikuspot_ibss\"
set_network $id key_mgmt NONE
enable_network $id
quit
EOF
`"
echo $exec
I think it's not so simple. Read here about setting the chipset to IBSS mode (I haven't tried it yet).

Can anyone confirm the enterprise wpa still works with 3.1 firmware?
Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:53 AM   #22
otichy
Connoisseur
otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Just to let others know, WPA_supplicant hack do not work for me in the new fw 3.1. It connects and immediately disconnects. After adding the "fast_reauth=0" to wpa_supplicant.conf it stays on and wpa_cli status says:

Code:
Selected interface 'wlan0'
bssid=00:24:97:10:34:e0
ssid=eduroam
id=0
pairwise_cipher=TKIP
group_cipher=TKIP
key_mgmt=WPA2/IEEE 802.1X/EAP
wpa_state=COMPLETED
mac_address=28:EF:01:33:A7:F1
Supplicant PAE state=AUTHENTICATED
suppPortStatus=Authorized
EAP state=SUCCESS
selectedMethod=25 (EAP-PEAP)
EAP TLS cipher=AES256-SHA
EAP-PEAPv0 Phase2 method=MSCHAPV2
But the interface does not get an IP. After udhcpc -i wlan0 I get an IP that looks fine, but route is:
Code:
195.113.92.0    0.0.0.0         255.255.254.0   U     0      0        0 wlan0
So no gateway and the default internet connection is through 3G anyway.

I am really no good in networks on Linux. Would anybody be willing to give a hand?
Old 02-25-2011, 09:46 AM   #23
otichy
Connoisseur

OK, I have found out, what my gateway should be and when added manually with
Code:
route add -net 0.0.0.0 netmask 0.0.0.0 gw 195.113.92.1 dev wlan0
I can ping to internet IPs. I can't resolve host names, however. When I change the /etc/resolv.conf to what I think should be my DNS, it no longer tells me it cannot resolve hosts when I try pinging e.g. google.com, but it does nothing (I have to ctrl+c).

Moreover, the routing table seems to reset once in a while, the 3G seems to be involved, so the manual setting is certainly not a solution.

I guess I need to make wpa_supplicant work without manually restarting it and perhaps configure the /usr/share/udhcpc/default.script to supply the data I need, but I have to say I am out of my linux depth right now.

At least it seems, it will work, somehow... Any ideas?
Old 02-25-2011, 11:12 AM   #24
otichy
Connoisseur

I have also found that /tmp/resolv.conf (and other files in /tmp) hold what udhcpc presumably got from the dhcp. If I manually add the DNS into /etc/resolv.conf I have working eduroam. But This has to be somehow automated and I don't think I can do that...
Old 03-02-2011, 05:54 AM   #25
Beda
Beda began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by otichy View Post
After adding the "fast_reauth=0" to wpa_supplicant.conf it stays on and wpa_cli status says:
I have tried to connect with wpa enterprise hack to eduroam with firmware 3.1. With 3.0 it worked.
Even when I add "fast_reauth=0" to wpa_supplicant.conf it connects and immediately disconnects and also deletes eduroam from list wpa_cli list_networks. I have to start kindle with disabled wifi, because when it's on all this happen during boot. Don't you know what I have to do to prevent it from disconnect?

Last edited by Beda; 03-02-2011 at 06:13 AM.
Beda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:35 AM   #26
otichy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beda View Post
I have tried to connect with wpa enterprise hack to eduroam with firmware 3.1. With 3.0 it worked.
Even when I add "fast_reauth=0" to wpa_supplicant.conf it connects and immediately disconnects and also deletes eduroam from list wpa_cli list_networks. I have to start kindle with disabled wifi, because when it's on all this happen during boot. Don't you know what I have to do to prevent it from disconnect?
I had the same experience. The only way I could connect and stay connected was to restart wpa_supplicant. Or better, restart the /etc/init.d/pre-wifid
But then it does not automatically get the IP through DHCP, so I had to manually restart udhcpc. Which works, but does not change the DNS records automatically. Again, you can do this manually and get working connection from shell, but the Kindle browser stays offline. I may have more time by the end of the week to look into it, but I fear I don't have enough experience with linux to solve this properly.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:45 AM   #27
Caster

tl;dr:
It works if you trick the kindle wifi settings daemon to think eduroam is a 'known' network. You'll need a wifi AP/router where you can change the network SSID to 'eduroam' temporarily (I recommend doing it outside of the actual eduroam coverage, e.g. at home) and connect Kindle to it via the GUI. I used a WPA2/PSK configuration (not sure it matters). Then the instructions from e.g. http://frakira.fi.muni.cz/~antos/201...e-and-eduroam/ work again (and you don't need to set fast_reauth=0 or anything), but it might still be improved, because the current result is that wpa_supplicant has configuration for two networks of the same SSID and I am not sure it can cause reconnection problems. In my school connection usually fails after about a minute, and I have to turn wifi off/on from the menu. But it wasn't stable even on previous firmware, the signal here is really weak due to paranoid admins... It's good enough to sync downloaded items, which is ok for me now, and I will see tomorrow if changing the script to remove duplicated entries helps. I can however confirm that the eduroam network added by the script is no longer removed from the network list, so the trick works!

The details: thanks to the extensive trial-and-error by otichy and our icq sessions I got rough idea how the whole network thing most probably works. There is a wifi daemon called wifid that listens to wpa_supplicant's control socket (it has the /tmp/wpa_ctrl_<PID> file opened) which a) populates the network list from the content of the encrypted wifid.conf file mentioned above, and b) when it hears that the supplicant sucessfully associates with a network, it starts dhcp, sets routing, nameservers and probably other stuff.
Now I guess (from the behavior) the problem in 3.1 is that the daemon also started to check if the associated network is one of the 'known' networks (in wifid.conf), and if not, it reconnects and resets the supplicant's settings. If your restart the wpa_supplicant service, it will get a new control socket and the wifid daemon can no longer check and reset, but it also won't start the dhcp and other stuff...
So my idea was to trick the wifid daemon to think eduroam is known network, by connecting the Kindle via the UI to a WPA2 personal network of the same SSID (set up temporarily on my home wifi router), which stores it in wifi.conf, and then use the wpa_cli script to change its settings to the eduroam enterprise networks. If the check is done only against the SSID and nothing more, it should work.
As it turns out, it seems that it indeed does work... (until the checks are restricted again in the next firmware...)
Old 03-03-2011, 08:14 AM   #28
otichy
Connoisseur

After some more ICQ sessions with Caster, this seems to be a stable solution:

1. connect to your own network with the same ssid as the enterprise network you want to connect to (e.g. "eduroam")
2. do all the stuff described at: http://frakira.fi.muni.cz/~antos/201...e-and-eduroam/
3. replace the wpa_config.sh from the previous step with this code
Code:
#!/bin/sh

sleep 6

id="`wpa_cli list_networks | grep SSID | cut -f1 | sed -n '1p'`"

exec="`wpa_cli << EOF
set_network $id ssid \"SSID\"
set_network $id key_mgmt WPA-EAP
set_network $id pairwise TKIP
set_network $id group TKIP
set_network $id eap PEAP
set_network $id identity \"LOGIN\"
set_network $id password \"PASSWORD\"
set_network $id phase1 \"peaplabel=0\"
set_network $id phase2 \"auth=MSCHAPV2\"
set_network $id ca_cert \"CERTIFICATE\"
enable_network $id
quit
EOF
`"
echo $exec
#!/usr/bin/perl
Don't forget to change the LOGIN, PASSWORD and SSID (twice in the script).

Last edited by otichy; 03-03-2011 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:04 AM   #29
wengang
wengang began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
My enterprise network does not seem to work with this solution

Hi, I have been following this thread since I wanted to get my kindle 3 to work with my company's enterprise network with its firmware 3.1.

This is what I did (I think I did everything here):

1. I configured my home network with the same SSID as my company's enterprise network. Then I connected to my network with kindle 3 with WPA2/PSK, and entered my password. I made sure that this wireless network is saved in my kindle 3 by restarting it. Yes, after restart, it reconnects to my home network automatically.
2. I then did all the stuffs stated above, like how you mentioned described in http://frakira.fi.muni.cz/~antos/201...e-and-eduroam/, without using their wpa_config.sh.
3. I replaced the wpa_config.sh with yours code, changing 4 things: 2 places with SSID, one with username, and another one with password. Not too sure if it matters, but my username has "@" in it.
4. Then I restarted my kindle 3 to rid of usbNetwork. It now cannot connect to my home network with the same ssid, which I think is normal because it now needs a username/password to connect to that ssid.
5. I then go to my company the next working day, and my kindle 3 refused to connect automatically.

Are there any steps I missed? Please let me know. Thanks!
wengang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:12 AM   #30
Caster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wengang View Post
Hi, I have been following this thread since I wanted to get my kindle 3 to work with my company's enterprise network with its firmware 3.1.

Are there any steps I missed? Please let me know. Thanks!
The problem might be that your company's network has different authentication method than PEAP/MSCHAPV2, or other settings. The ones in script are specific for eduroam networks, so you should change them according to your company's manual or the settings used in your laptop or something.

Or are you saying that it already worked with 3.0 firmware and now it doesn't?