Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 07:27 AM   #31
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Robins777,

I'm wondering about samples - we've put a 20 chapter sample up as ePub and PDF for the latest book, however I'm actually starting to wonder if that's in fact too much (it's a 41 chapter Part-I book) if only because maybe it will take too long to reach 20 chapters and get distracted before considering buying the book. Of course, it depends a lot on the reader I guess. Don't want to give them only 2 or 3 chapters because they might not really get a good feel for it at that point.

Paul.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:36 AM   #32
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I think that's too much. Use Amazon samples as a guide. A couple of chapters at most should give the feel/tone/style (unless of course it varies wildly throughout the book).

in fact the first paragraph better be representative of the rest of the book.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 07:43 AM   #33
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It was a dark stormy night...

It's a bit of a tough call as well because this is the debut novel, so the strategy at the moment is to lay down some foundations on which the successive books will follow. In our case Part II will be shared around a little less liberally.

Paul.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:52 AM   #34
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
Robins777,

I'm wondering about samples - we've put a 20 chapter sample up as ePub and PDF for the latest book, however I'm actually starting to wonder if that's in fact too much (it's a 41 chapter Part-I book) if only because maybe it will take too long to reach 20 chapters and get distracted before considering buying the book. Of course, it depends a lot on the reader I guess. Don't want to give them only 2 or 3 chapters because they might not really get a good feel for it at that point.

Paul.
If I were you, I'd start a new thread in Writers' Corner to ask about samples - see what works for other authors.

I've bought e-books where the first 20%, 25% and 50% was offered as a sample. I didn't get anywhere near the end of the sample before buying the books. I probably didn't read more than the first 10% before deciding to buy them.

I wouldn't have thought offering 20 chapters of a 41 chapter book would be a problem, though. Surely if the reader gets distracted, they weren't really that interested and wouldn't have bought it anyway?
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:54 AM   #35
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

Russ,

I suppose it depends on how you envisage someone's life-schedule. For some people, knowing they've got 20-chapters and they've only read 5, they can think "It's okay, got 15 more left... I don't need to get it yet..." (then something happens).

There's a lot of scenarios that could come up, the above was what I was thinking of as opposed to the reader losing interest (in which case that's something else to worry about ).

I'll go over to the writer's corner - thanks for the tip.

Regards,
Paul.
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 07:57 AM   #36
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
I wrote this in a thread in the "News" section . I feel like quote it in it's full here (incl spelling errors):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridr View Post
Actually, I do not see why you even should have the slightes possible reasons to complain.
A standard fiction book via (US International +$2) Amazon costs ~8 - ~12 U.S $.
UK Amazon prices ~3 - ~7 UK £.

Here's (the so far only) Norwegian eBook store: Digital Bok
I know it's all in Norwegian, with Norwegian prices, but here's a quick conversion:
£ - devide by 9
$ - devide by 6
€ - devide by 8

And, on top of it, the books ar DRM'ed beyond recognition and barely allows CyBook.
Prices here

As y'all see, the reades come out US$ ~500 the cheapest one and the books ("bestsellers" and new) starts at US$ ~13 and averages (on front page) US$ ~34

Last edited by Bikeridr; 09-21-2010 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Hiccups in the copied urls
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #37
[Ahmed]
[Ahmed] began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle³
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacina View Post
You'll have to admit that pirated copies can have some serious variations in quality. There's some that are nice to read, and others that are unreadable. (not that I'd know... *cough*)

This is mostly due to how much time the pirate actually took to fix and layout his scan

So she has a point, however, once you have a digitized book that has all the text problems fixed, its easy to convert it to different formats.
Same is true for legally acquired e-books. I've had some horrible typos and even layout problems in amazon ebooks.

She really doesn't have a point. At least for new books. They all are available digitally; and typesetting systems (I only know some TeX-derivates) make it fairly easy to convert a book into any form you want. Making an e-book is infact easier than making a print. As long as you have the source material with properly marked indents, paragraphs and other formatting. That's a problem for older books which have to be scanned and proof-read first. But really, that's it.
[Ahmed] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:25 AM   #38
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

[Ahmed],

We converted ours from a LaTeX system, though it had to be exported as HTML first. Sadly (as I've moaned about in the past around here) the on-fly formatting tends to still lose a lot A shame to many of us who really appreciate the finer details of typesetting and why it matters.

Paul.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #39
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
Oh, and they should be written in pig latin.
Ethay ellhay ouyay aysay!
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does anyone know how much DRM adds to the cost of an eBook?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:46 AM   #41
karthwyne
Connoisseur
karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Wifi, Kindle US
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does anyone know how much DRM adds to the cost of an eBook?
100% ? I think it costs MANY lost sales, including mine.
karthwyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:47 AM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by karthwyne View Post
100% ? I think it costs MANY lost sales, including mine.
I'm asking how much does it cost per eBook to add DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:08 PM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It probably doesn't cost anything. Amazon own their own DRM technology, so it's not costing any more for them to deliver a book to a customer via a DRM server than not.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:49 PM   #44
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It probably doesn't cost anything. Amazon own their own DRM technology, so it's not costing any more for them to deliver a book to a customer via a DRM server than not.
Other than the time to apply, process, track, etc.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:25 PM   #45
karthwyne
Connoisseur
karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Wifi, Kindle US
I agree with HarryT - the only real cost is the development of the DRM in the first place. The implementation of it would be fractions of a penny in CPU time and electricity. It may add a few clock cycles when the file is added to the serving library and delivered to the purchaser, but these costs are already accounted for in the hosting anyway.
karthwyne is offline   Reply With Quote