Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-16-2007, 09:51 AM   #16
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Eh? I'm not sure what you mean by a "flash based data slave," yvanleterrible.

I've got a plain old flash drive (just like this one) that I'm quite happy with. I like the retracting connector (no cap to lose), and it's set up so I can run some programs directly from it, which is convenient. FireFox and OpenOffice variants are both available for it, for instance.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:12 AM   #17
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I bet you could store 10,000 e-books on a couple of 4gig SD cards! We definitely have the advantage over music and video storage requirements!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2007, 11:26 AM   #18
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
What I mean is one mean data machine. Just like a Life drive in appearance, screen and all, meant only to feed a media device in replacement of a computer.

The thing would be flash based 100GB store at least,with a USB and SD port. The tiny eink screen shows whatever files are in to choose what you slip to and from an SD or any media device connected.

Right now I have a portable SD card reader that is the same size and looks just like that Cruzer thing for $19.99CAD.You just swap cards and plug in a USB. It works great for what it does. What I'd wish is to forego the computer for extended times and gather and share data without it. An iPod will not work with anything but a computer. The reader is SD but you need a computer to feed it. My video camera is SD but I need a computer to feed it. My digital cameras are SD and CF but I need a computer to feed it. It would be nice to have an intermediate device, hence 'data slave'.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 12:02 PM   #19
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Ah, I understand what you mean now. It does sound like an intriguing idea, but in the short term some sort of UMPC might be the closest you'd get.

I was looking at an OQO in a store recently (the original one, not the new model they just released), and was struck by how much it looked like a Palm LifeDrive, it's just a little larger in all dimensions (and has only slightly worse battery life). That might get you what you need, functionally, but the price tag is kinda high just for that purpose $1.5k~$2k
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 12:07 PM   #20
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, I see Yvan. I believe I've seen devices like that before, but I guess they never caught on very big, even though it sounds like a neat idea. I'll try to provide a link if I run across one again.
Advert
Old 02-16-2007, 12:54 PM   #21
sea2stars
Zealot
sea2stars is on a distinguished road

Device: eb1150, Sony Reader
Hrmm.. something more like this?

Or Maybe one of these with a flash drive attached using this kind of adapter? I would think that a 100GB solid state drive would be prohibitively expensive and quite large. I think I've seen SD adapters for 2.5" drives too. Of course a small 2.5" drive would probably be cheaper.

Last edited by sea2stars; 02-16-2007 at 01:22 PM.
sea2stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:17 PM   #22
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's a good one but not quite. You need storage on board and to see the files you wish to transfer on screen. Both of which this one does not do.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:52 PM   #23
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Is this more like what you are thinking about?
http://www.vistek.ca/details/details...StorageDevices

I guess there are still a lot of these kinds of devices around with usb connection to computer, internal hard drive storage, screens to show files and status (screen contents vary from nothing to media viewing), and built-in storage card readers. The one I picked is not at all meant to be a good one, just indicative of the class of device.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:03 PM   #24
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Well, I just (finally) ordered my NewerTech drive adapter. Thanks to everyone for the feedback and reminders!
Old 02-20-2007, 04:15 PM   #25
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
Is this more like what you are thinking about?
http://www.vistek.ca/details/details...StorageDevices

I guess there are still a lot of these kinds of devices around with usb connection to computer, internal hard drive storage, screens to show files and status (screen contents vary from nothing to media viewing), and built-in storage card readers. The one I picked is not at all meant to be a good one, just indicative of the class of device.
Thanks for the search Bob! That looks pretty much like it, it will do pretty well until they make flash drive ones.