Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-30-2009, 05:36 PM   #46
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted-san View Post
I've tested the straight, K2 versions. But I don't have a K2i or DX, so I have no idea if those versions work.
They all run the same code now ; so any software now is pretty much guaranteed to work on all version.

So, what prevented the packager to run OpenSSL for you?
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:10 PM   #47
ted-san
ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyavenard View Post
They all run the same code now ; so any software now is pretty much guaranteed to work on all version.

So, what prevented the packager to run OpenSSL for you?
That turned out to be a red herring. Actually, I hadn't copied the .sh files into the directory, so it was choking at that stage. For some reason, it then indicated a failure to run OpenSSL.
ted-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 06:16 PM   #48
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted-san View Post
That turned out to be a red herring. Actually, I hadn't copied the .sh files into the directory, so it was choking at that stage. For some reason, it then indicated a failure to run OpenSSL.
Ok, thanks... I'm assuming you were giving the .sh name as an argument...

I can think what the problem would be.
I first calculate the signature of each file, without first checking if the file do exist to start with... I guess I should be adding an extra test so people like you aren't confused with meaningless error messages.
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:52 PM   #49
ted-san
ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

It was a dumb mistake on my part. I had just cloned my previous font install directory and forgot to transfer those files over.
ted-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:55 AM   #50
mimibel
mimibel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Screensaver Hack

Thanks so much for the program and instructions. I've had my K2i for less than 3 weeks and was very hesitant to change the screensavers. It took two nights of poking around to find this forum and finally the directions to apply the right update to the Ki2.3. How amazing! My Kindle didn't blow up! And now I have the nicest screensavers. Grandkids, kids, dogs, everyone!

Thanks again. I'm one happy Kindle lover. Life doesn't get any better than this (if only I can get a version of "Atlas Shrugged" for my Kindle)!

mimibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 07:15 AM   #51
floridabrits
floridabrits began at the beginning.

Perfect! Many thanks for the info jyavendard....
floridabrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:27 PM   #52
PS Kindle
PS Kindle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
jyavendard, please help with the screensaver hack

First of all, thank you, jyavendard, for all the hard works.

I have the Kindle 2 with v2.3 firmware. I downloaded the "screensaverhack-0.1.tar.gz" file and unzipped it. I copy the "update_screensaverhack-install-k2.bin" to the root directory of K2 (not the system folder). I created the "screen_saver" directory in the system folder with a 600x800 jpeg picture in it. Unplugged the Kindle and do the "home" - "menu" - select settings - "menu" sequence, but "update your kindle" is still greyed out. What else do I need to do? Thank you for any help for a newbie.

Last edited by PS Kindle; 12-05-2009 at 12:58 PM.
PS Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:31 PM   #53
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS Kindle View Post
First of all, thank you, jyavendard, for all the hardworks.

I have the Kindle 2 with v2.3 firmware. I downloaded the "screensaverhack-0.1.tar.gz" file and unzipped it. I copy the "update_screensaverhack-install-k2.bin" to the root directory of K2 (not the system folder). I created the "screen_saver" directory in the system folder with a 600x800 jpeg picture in it. Unplugged the Kindle and do the "home" - "menu" - select settings - "menu" sequence, but "update your kindle" is still greyed out. What else do I need to do? Thank you for any help for a newbie.
Is your Kindle a Kindle 2 U.S. version or Kindle 2 International. If it is a K2 International you need to install the "update_screensaverhack-install-k2i.bin" in your root folder.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:38 PM   #54
PS Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Is your Kindle a Kindle 2 U.S. version or Kindle 2 International. If it is a K2 International you need to install the "update_screensaverhack-install-k2i.bin" in your root folder.
I assume it is a Kindle 2 U.S. I bought it in US a couple weeks ago. It does have 3G "global coverage".

Last edited by PS Kindle; 12-05-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:11 PM   #55
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I assume it is a Kindle 2 U.S. I bought it in US a couple weeks ago. It does have 3G "global coverage".
You have the International Kindle. You can confirm by looking at the serial number on the back. The U.S. (Sprint) version starts with "B002" and the International (AT&T) version starts with "B003".
Old 12-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #56
PS Kindle

YES!!! Thank you, it worked! A big thank you to jyavenard and daffy4u for your help. How neat is that I can have my grandchildren pictures as the screensavers. You guys are wonderful!
Old 12-05-2009, 01:55 PM   #57
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
YES!!! Thank you, it worked! A big thank you to jyavenard and daffy4u for your help. How neat is that I can have my grandchildren pictures as the screensavers. You guys are wonderful!

Congratulations! I'm glad it worked for you.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:07 AM   #58
PS Kindle

Please be patient with a newbie...

What are the "packages"? What will they do? Please help with a newbie, thank you.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:22 AM   #59
SalvaG
Enthusiast
SalvaG is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
Thank you very much

Could someone make an update for this hack:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=66
(screensaver is the last page, DX.)
SalvaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:47 PM   #60
PS Kindle

Quote:
What are the "packages"? What will they do? Please help with a newbie, thank you.
Any help in answering these questions?