Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 04-24-2003, 10:34 PM   #1
Unregistered
Nameless Being

Need a web clip

Hi.

Simple request. If the HandStory people were willing to provide a web clip tool for MacOS9.x, I'd gladly buy the package and do this myself. But they don't. I simply want to be able to read my local city newspaper on my Visor, and it isn't available on AvantGo. Is there some kind soul here who'd be willing to create the script for me, please?

The URL is http://www.theage.com.au/handheld/index.html

My address is: lancel@minister.com

Thanks!
Lance
Old 04-25-2003, 08:18 AM   #2
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
Sure Lance. Go to the Clips & Scripts section where I've loaded a HandStory clip file for The Age.

To return the favor, all you have to do is register here in the forum and join in the fun!

Cheers,
Gary
gvtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2003, 02:19 AM   #3
Lance
Lance began at the beginning.

Device: Visor Neo
Thanks very much, Gary. I've tried downloading it but haven't had much success beyond that. All I get is file with the right name, but it seems to be a file that "belongs" to my browser (iCab, which is a mac-specific browser). According to these notes http://www.handstory.com/product/upg...son_palm.html, it's supposed to be possible to update clips manually using HS basic, which I've just downloaded. But I can't find anything either in the help docs or the HS app itself that seems to do that. I tried running the "convert" function on the clip file that you posted, and it produced a fairly large file of gobbledygook, so not much help.
Sorry to bore you with something that's probably rather basic. I'm wondering whether I need the full suite to update the clip (even though the comparison page (above) says I don't? Help!!
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 10:31 AM   #4
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
Lance:

Since I don't have a Mac to play with, I'm running in the dark here...

On a PC, clicking on a clip like the one I left in the message, results in the HS converter to pop up so you can set the category, etc. of the clip. It basically installs into HS when you click on the link.

Can you determine on the Mac whether you use clips ending in .hsc? Or do file extensions have no bearing on the Mac? Also, try putting the .hsc file in the same place you have other clips that work for you and see if HS can work it that way. I'm not sure from your messages that you have yet to load any clips, so that may/may not be helpful!

Lastly, try emailing HS support about how you can use a PC-created clip, an .hsc file provided by someone else. Hopefully they have a workaround.

Cheers,
Gary
gvtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 05:28 PM   #5
Lance
Lance began at the beginning.

Device: Visor Neo
Gary,

Sad to say, I've heard from Handstory support that it's no go in any way, shape or form with web clipping on the mac platform (except on OSX). I had imagined you could get the clip script done somewhere, and then update it on mac. But apparently you can't even do that Thanks anyway. Maybe someone else will benefit from the clip you posted for me.
I'm wondering whether I might get away with an equivalent strategy on MobiPocket. Do you happen to know anywhere I could visit to find out? (Or any other similar software? Not iSilo as yet, or at least not for automatic update.) Thanks.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2003, 05:09 PM   #6
KevinAnLipscomb
KevinAnLipscomb began at the beginning.

Device: Kyocera Smartphone 7135
What kind of clip is required to read a plain text (TXT) file that is served up by an HTTP server? See http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/for.../pa/paz021.txt . When I set this up as a Custom Direct Clip, it would Preview and Test fine, but it will not convert during the automatic once-daily routine.

Can someone post a clip for this (if appropriate)?

*** UPDATE ***
I figured it out for myself. The clip is posted in the Clips & Scripts section, here:
http://www.turcic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1181

Last edited by KevinAnLipscomb; 11-23-2003 at 08:27 AM.
KevinAnLipscomb is offline   Reply With Quote