Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 10-01-2009, 09:29 PM   #46
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Mines just arrived home. At 8PM. >_<
I'm so mad. I'm mid shift and can't go home. Meaning I can't start charging it until 12:30am. Meaning I'll have to wait until 1PM to give a go.

Thanks a lot UPS. Is it common to go out in the truck 7am until 8pm? Seems fishy.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:37 PM   #47
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
I'm so mad. I'm mid shift and can't go home. Meaning I can't start charging it until 12:30am. Meaning I'll have to wait until 1PM to give a go.

Thanks a lot UPS. Is it common to go out in the truck 7am until 8pm? Seems fishy.
It's happened here as well. I know they say to charge for 12 hours, but I really don't think that is necessary or makes a difference. I did not do that with mine.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 09:41 PM   #48
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post

Very common in Metro areas these days. I guess they found a high rate of no one at home for required signatures during the day.
3 attempts and the package goes back. A few years back, the "day" was 07:30 to 17:30 for most drivers
You CAN arrange for the package to be held at the UPS Center counter if home delivery is not possible. Bring ID
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:58 PM   #49
Xerxes
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
It's happened here as well. I know they say to charge for 12 hours, but I really don't think that is necessary or makes a difference. I did not do that with mine.
Funny thing is I got that from the forums. I don't see the 12 hours rule anywhere. FAQ said fully charged. O_o
Old 10-01-2009, 10:15 PM   #50
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The 12 hours is in the (skimpy) manual.
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 10:40 PM   #51
Xerxes
Addict

Quote:
The 12 hours is in the (skimpy) manual.
This is me questioning it...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=139
Old 10-02-2009, 01:06 AM   #52
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
While you can certainly question the 12 hour number it will not do any harm to leave it on that long. (You could leave it plugged in all the time and it would not overcharge or damage the battery.) I do not believe that it is needed but what is needed is to make sure it is fully charged (which may take an hour or so past the indicator) and then discharge quite a bit to calibrate the gauge. This won't change the battery but will make the battery indicator more accurate.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:23 AM   #53
Xerxes
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
While you can certainly question the 12 hour number it will not do any harm to leave it on that long. (You could leave it plugged in all the time and it would not overcharge or damage the battery.) I do not believe that it is needed but what is needed is to make sure it is fully charged (which may take an hour or so past the indicator) and then discharge quite a bit to calibrate the gauge. This won't change the battery but will make the battery indicator more accurate.

Dale
Exactly, I mean it just seems like the normal 5-7 hours on the website for a full charge would be just as viable.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:28 AM   #54
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
I usually use the "shipped" amount of energy left in the devices to really empty it out, then charge it for at least 12h. That's how you calibrate a LiPoly battery, subsequent charges need not be like that. Every once in a while one should let the battery run down completely and do the calibration again - says so in my MacBook Pro manual.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:05 AM   #55
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
I usually use the "shipped" amount of energy left in the devices to really empty it out, then charge it for at least 12h. That's how you calibrate a LiPoly battery, subsequent charges need not be like that. Every once in a while one should let the battery run down completely and do the calibration again - says so in my MacBook Pro manual.
The way these Legends-Myths-Rules get perpetuated, is someone writes it in their manual because they saw it in someone else s manual .
Then there is "Sales Hype" or "Wishful thinking" that predicts optimistic life (page turns) or claims problems (cycle memory) no longer exist
Reading the "Battery University" article led me to believe that it was a balanced study, that was not "pushing" any particular technology.
The problem with using a "As Shipped", discharge to the end plan, is...The End Gauge is not or poorly calibrated (Why not ship with a typical number for a "fresh from stock" battery?) and let User recharges adjust for battery wear down.
I am *assuming* that disconnecting the battery, resets the gauge because of the admonition to not disconnect frequently.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:53 AM   #56
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
I'm sorry, I fail to understand what you are telling me.
Please circle the correct answer:

*) No need to run the battery down
*) No need to run the battery down on the first charge only
*) Whatever you do, it won't matter, all batteries die.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:02 AM   #57
kennyc

None of the above.

If you want the battery gauge to be accurate you need to follow the procedures of

1) FULLY CHARGING the battery the first time. (this is why 12 hours -- just to be certain)
2) LET IT FULLY DISCHARGE before charging for several cycles. (this is to let the software learn where the discharge level is at)

If you plug in your reader every day or two anyway NONE of THIS Matters. The only reason for following this process is so the battery gauge reasonably matches the actual state of charge of the battery. It will not cause your battery to fail sooner or later and will not affect its capacity or duration.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:07 AM   #58
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
I'm sorry, I fail to understand what you are telling me.
Please circle the correct answer:

*) No need to run the battery down
*) No need to run the battery down on the first charge only
*) Whatever you do, it won't matter, all batteries die.
ALL of the above,
Except that I would say "Batteries run down".
"Die" is when they can not be recharged,
which can be caused by cycles (age) and OVER DISCHARGE << this is very bad, which is why I do NOT recommend discharging until it stops with an un-calibrated gauge.

80% of normal voltage is considered DISCHARGED. Below that may result in permanent damage to the battery pack. Do not leave a discharged battery this way. Self discharge will drop the voltage more and any further discharge may cause a internal cell (out of 3) to "flip polarity".
Old 10-02-2009, 07:35 AM   #59
kennyc

Quote:
None of the above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
ALL of the above,

Old 10-02-2009, 08:50 AM   #60
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
Well after much running about (sorting office, Main post office) with a print out of the UPS tracking details, I was told that they couldn't tell me anything without their (Royle Mail) tracking details So I get home to find a letter from (Parcel Force Worldwide) telling me their holding a parcel for me with duty on it So I phoned them and asked why their was an attempt at delivery and how did I miss it with 3 people in the house ?.
He told me that theres a glitch in the system that says attempted delivery but really there wasn't one (Nice system)
So I paid the duty on my card and my friend is going to pick the parcel up after he finishes work I hope it all works ok after paying duty and parcel forces handling fee of £29.19
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote