Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 03-24-2017, 04:34 AM   #1
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
TOC creation tool wishlist

A couple of things I'd love to see in future versions of the TOC editing tool:

1) the ability to undo a change (e.g. accidentally deleting a TOC entry). At the moment the only option seems to be to quit, and then start all over again. (Or of course use the editor to fiddle with the toc.ncx directly, but I don't count that as a solution)

2) the ability to select multiple items and change all their levels at once (e.g. make them sub-items of another item). At the moment this has to be done one by one: select, change level, move down, select, change level... which gets quite tedious after a while. Again, I sometimes find it easier to edit the raw toc.ncx, but I don't like doing it.

Thanks!
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:17 PM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phssthpok View Post
A couple of things I'd love to see in future versions of the TOC editing tool:

1) the ability to undo a change (e.g. accidentally deleting a TOC entry). At the moment the only option seems to be to quit, and then start all over again. (Or of course use the editor to fiddle with the toc.ncx directly, but I don't count that as a solution)

2) the ability to select multiple items and change all their levels at once (e.g. make them sub-items of another item). At the moment this has to be done one by one: select, change level, move down, select, change level... which gets quite tedious after a while. Again, I sometimes find it easier to edit the raw toc.ncx, but I don't like doing it.

Thanks!
For # 2 just select items then drag and drop them on the level you want them to be a sub-item. I.e select all the chapters between Part 1 and Part 2 then drag and drop the on Part 1, they are now a sub level of Part 1.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2017, 08:28 AM   #3
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
For # 2 just select items then drag and drop them on the level you want them to be a sub-item. I.e select all the chapters between Part 1 and Part 2 then drag and drop the on Part 1, they are now a sub level of Part 1.

bernie
OK, thanks, I hadn't realised. The error message you get when you try to use the arrow buttons to change level on multiple items made me think it wasn't possible. In fact, I still don't understand why you get that error message if it's possible to do it using D&D.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:32 AM   #4
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post

bernie
Hmm, I was just dealing with something where I needed to do this, and I thought, Aha! I can use drag & drop!

But I discovered why I had never figured out that this was possible: I tried selecting a bunch of icons (select first, shift-click on last) and then just dragging, but if you do this it gives a "no entry -- not allowed" cursor. What you have to do is, having selected all the items, you let go, go back to the first item, and then drag THE FIRST ITEM (no other will do). Then it works!

Kind of non-obvious, IMHO!

And of course an undo facility is still on my wishlist... especially since I often make mistakes dragging & dropping, and I drop things in the wrong place, and then have to quit and start over in order to fix the resulting mess...

Last edited by Phssthpok; 04-03-2017 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:55 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The steps you described work for me. As for undo -- not wortht he effort for me, but patches are welcome!
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2017, 11:10 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The steps you described work for me. As for undo -- not wortht he effort for me, but patches are welcome!
Kovid
All the items seem to have to be at the same level for it to work (which is what you normally expect them to be).
If 1 item is at a different Logical level (visually, it appears the same, but in fact it may have been indented twice underneath), it pop the Not Allowed cursor.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:35 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I remember participating in a discussion a couple of years ago about drag-drop problems in the TOC editor.

I have a vague memory that it may have been only Windows users (i.e. me) who were seeing the problem. Windows users can drag-drop but you need to work on your 'drag technique' As long as I drag completely vertically everything works fine. As soon as I drag diagonally the results are unreliable.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:37 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I remember participating in a discussion a couple of years ago about drag-drop problems in the TOC editor.

I have a vague memory that it may have been only Windows users (i.e. me) who were seeing the problem. Windows users can drag-drop but you need to work on your 'drag technique' As long as I drag completely vertically everything works fine. As soon as I drag diagonally the results are unreliable.
That too
Old 04-03-2017, 06:18 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Drag/drop to small targets, especially within lists and trees, can be a challenge to anyone with less than perfect fine hand/eye motor coordination.

There are places where I would gladly disable it. FX, I'm forever 'losing' bookmarks (or folders) in my browser's sidebar, invariably it's because at some time I unwittingly dragged a bookmark item or folder to another location.

In calibre I don't use the drag/drop feature of the CSV catalogue column selection. I find it easier to select all columns in default order, and then remove/hide and reorder the columns in CSVFileView or Excel.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:35 AM   #10
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Kovid
All the items seem to have to be at the same level for it to work (which is what you normally expect them to be).
If 1 item is at a different Logical level (visually, it appears the same, but in fact it may have been indented twice underneath), it pop the Not Allowed cursor.
No, this is a case where I have several items at the top level (I have since checked a similar case in the toc.ncx, and everything is at the same level, the top level):
Part One
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 12
So I click on Chapter 1, then scroll down to Chapter 12 and shift-click there. If I then drag while the cursor is still on Chapter 12, it's not allowed. Only if I scroll back up to Chapter 1 and drag Chapter 1 does it work.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:40 AM   #11
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Drag/drop to small targets, especially within lists and trees, can be a challenge to anyone with less than perfect fine hand/eye motor coordination.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:35 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I cannot replicate that either. The only time a not allow cursor pops up is when you try to drop on a selected item, regardless of how many levels are selected.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:42 PM   #13
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
I cannot replicate that either. The only time a not allow cursor pops up is when you try to drop on a selected item, regardless of how many levels are selected.
Here are two photos of the screen: one dragging the last item in the selection, the other dragging the first item. I did it using photos because none of my screen capture tools would show the "not allowed" cursor!

I'm using Calibre 2.81 (32-bit) on Windows 10.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0335.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	156069   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0336.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	156070  
Old 04-08-2017, 02:21 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That's something peculiar to your machine -- dragging by the first, last or any random element in the middle works the same on my win 10 machine
Old 04-08-2017, 04:36 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
That's something peculiar to your machine -- dragging by the first, last or any random element in the middle works the same on my win 10 machine
Kovid
I have had it Flip the group order on me . (more than oncetrying to Nest Chpters with in a Part.. It is a PITA to reorder )

Now I am careful to always select Top Down, and drag the top.

Can I give specific steps to make it fail: No