Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-15-2017, 08:22 AM   #1
Biffta
Biffta began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Book not appearing in Calibre

Hi there, hope I'm in the correct section. I successfully downloaded a book from Amazon to my Kindle Paperwhite. All went fine and the book appeared which I have read. However for the first time in a very long time using my device and Calibre, when I plugged my device into my PC and opened Calibre, all the books on my device were shown except for this newest one.
Any help as to why please?
Thanks.
Biffta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:51 AM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Were you looking at your Calibre library? That won't show a book on your device downloaded from Amazon. Did you check the menu under Device which shows the content on the device itself?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2017, 03:21 AM   #3
Biffta

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Were you looking at your Calibre library? That won't show a book on your device downloaded from Amazon. Did you check the menu under Device which shows the content on the device itself?
Yes, I looked under device when I plugged it in and all books were there except the most recent one I had download from the Amazon store. Never happened before so maybe alone-off glitch. Wanted to transfer the book to my wife's Kindle, so went on the Amazon site and managed to do it on there. Never done it that way before, so at least I learned something!
Thanks for your response, appreciated.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:26 PM   #4
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Calibre does not see the new format, KFX.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:25 AM   #5
jwilker
Connoisseur
jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Libra H2O
It actually does as long as you're up to date. I had a similar issue, something in the package of the KFX file changed. Kovid released an update about 2 weeks back.

My install of calibre sees books on my Kindle purchased yesterday.
jwilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2017, 03:55 AM   #6
Biffta

For some reason my device wasn't recognising my normal epub format. Converted it to another and bingo, on my device! Never had to convert to achieve this before. At least I found a solution!
Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:40 PM   #7
bj1947
Bayfia
bj1947 began at the beginning.

Device: Book Designer
I have the new Calibre Version 2.80, which indicates that it can read the Kindle format (and I was asssuming, could convert that to EPUB format for my Calibre. But it cannot convert it. I'm seeing here in the forum that Calibre can "see" the latest Kindle formats. Well, I can drag my Kindle book from Kindlle for PC app to Calibre app, but Calibre can't convert it. Here on the forum, I see msgs about reading the Kindle book in Calibre (without converting it to EPUB first?). Is there something I need to do to enable calibre to read my Kindle books in Kindle for PC? I don't plug my Kindle Fire into my PC to read from it there too often.
bj1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:38 AM   #8
jwilker
Connoisseur
jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Libra H2O
I can't speak to the dragging from the kindle pc app, but if you download from amazon (The my content and devices section), Calibre can accept that file that is downloaded

Last edited by jwilker; 03-14-2017 at 12:20 PM.
jwilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:30 PM   #9
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Read up on KFX format. Kindle books downloaded for recent devices and apps (including KIndle for PC) are delivered in this format, which is fairly solidly encrypted.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:13 PM   #10
bj1947
Bayfia

Kindle KFX encryption is NOT convertable by Calibre

HOWEVER, after reading some very good advice in the forum discussion about this, I was able to resolve the problem for myself. I REMOVED the latest Calibre update and re-installed Calibre version 1.71. Then I opened the Settings page and unchecked a box in the "Automatic Updates" section so that my Calibre does NOT automatically update to the newest version.

I can bring Kindle ebooks over from the "My Kindle Content" folder to Calibre, and it does convert them to EPUB & AZW3 formats (the newer version of Mobi format), and I'm satisfied with that. I don't read books in my Kindle Fire (regardless of how "convenient" Amazon.com says that is). I read epubs on my PC ... but what is important to me is that I can use Calibre to catalogue my books by content area, by author, and by other descriptors I use. I prefer to maintain control over my books this way. I resent the interference of any commercial service that presumes to hold ownership and control over products that I purchase. Amazon is one of those. They are not a publishing house, they are a warehouse distributor. I understand the copyright infringement laws. I'm not selling, copying or giving out unauthorized copies of my books. I'm just managing my content, and this solution works for me. Thanks for all your suggestions. Yes, the KFX DRM incription mechanism is formidable, but where there is a will, there is always some way to prevail.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:50 PM   #11
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj1947 View Post
HOWEVER, after reading some very good advice in the forum discussion about this, I was able to resolve the problem for myself. I REMOVED the latest Calibre update and re-installed Calibre version 1.71. Then I opened the Settings page and unchecked a box in the "Automatic Updates" section so that my Calibre does NOT automatically update to the newest version.
Surely you mean you downgraded Kindle for PC to version 1.17 and set it not to auto-upgrade??? BTW, it might buy you extra time but it's unlikely to be a permanent solution.

Downgrading calibre to version 1.71 (which doesn't exist), or any other earlier version for that matter, won't solve any KFX problems.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:04 PM   #12
bj1947
Bayfia

My apologies for my error. You are correct. I downloaded and replaced my Kindle for PC 1.20 version with the older 1.71 version to make it possible to read my Kindle retail books in Calibre. I also "unchecked" the Automatic Updates option in my Kindle for PC app to ensure that I would not be saddled with the same problem with Kindle PC in the near future. I agree that this is a short-term solution, as I am certain Amazon will do everything in their power to prevent anyone from reading their books in any reader app that is not their Kindle app. However, as I am paying for their books, not snatching them bootleg style, I intend to read them in the format that I prefer as long as possible ... which would be on my PC, and NOT in my Kindle Fire (although I have that annoying little beastie)... and NOT in Kindle for PC either!!! (Which is cute to look at but NOT "cute" to manage. (In Calibre, I can sort books by author, or by Content Type, or by Series Title.) Also, I can list my books in Calibre by line item... in a handy database style format...much easier than scanning down thru 100s of book faces trying to find a book - notwithstanding typing in book titles or authors and "maybe" getting the book I'm looking for.) Perhaps this sounds like just an excuse to avoid using the Kindle app... but frankly, I don't like being told what book reader format I am allowed to use to read my books, after buying the dang things. Of course, this is all about the copyright protection laws, and the commercial efforts to prevent customers from taking control of the books they buy.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:23 PM   #13
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
I am having the same issue. How did you go back to version 1.71 of kindle for pc?
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:15 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There is no version 1.71 of K4PC. Perhaps you meant 1.17?

Just uninstall the later version, download 1.17, and install it. Make sure you uncheck the "Update automatically" box in its preferences.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:47 AM   #15
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Also see the related subject in a parallel thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...89#post3504689
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote