Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-24-2014, 06:29 AM   #1
A.T.E.
A.T.E. began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-300, FBReader
New reader on old computer

I am considering buying a new reader (Kobo Aura, Kobo H2O or Tolino Vision 2), however I see that the Calibre support for those new devices has been added only on recent verions, and I am running Calibre (*) on XP SP3 32 bit.

As it is pointless to upgrade the operating system on this hardware and as I am not planning to buy a new computer I am wondering what options I have.

Any suggestion? For example is there a compiled 32 bit version that just adds the support of the newer devices?

(*) I read that Calibre on 32 bit was stopped at version 1.48, however the one I am running reads version 2.0.0, which puzzles me.
A.T.E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:37 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Calibre was not stopped on the 32-bit version. Calibre was stopped for XP because a lot of XP system don't have a proper processor to run Qt5 properly. So in order to avoid issues with XP snd Calibre 2.x, Calibre was then made so it no longer runs on XP.

Go to Microsoft and find the Windows 8.1 upgrade adviser. If it says you are able to upgrade to Windows 8.1, then do so and you'll be able to run the latest versions of Calibre.

If your processor is too old, try to find a processor that would work that would fit in your motherboard and swap the processor and upgrade to Windows 8.1.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2014, 06:32 PM   #3
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T.E. View Post
I am considering buying a new reader (Kobo Aura, Kobo H2O or Tolino Vision 2), however I see that the Calibre support for those new devices has been added only on recent verions, and I am running Calibre (*) on XP SP3 32 bit.

As it is pointless to upgrade the operating system on this hardware and as I am not planning to buy a new computer I am wondering what options I have.

Any suggestion? For example is there a compiled 32 bit version that just adds the support of the newer devices?

(*) I read that Calibre on 32 bit was stopped at version 1.48, however the one I am running reads version 2.0.0, which puzzles me.
I suggest that you look into running Robolinux. It will use your current c: drive as the Windows XP VM. Then install and use the latest Linux calibre, do all your web browsing using Linux and then run all your windows programs in the VM.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkS6kuLcBQc

The LXDE version is the one you will that will probably work best.

bernie

Last edited by gbm; 12-24-2014 at 06:37 PM.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:41 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
I suggest that you look into running Robolinux. It will use your current c: drive as the Windows XP VM. Then install and use the latest Linux calibre, do all your web browsing using Linux and then run all your windows programs in the VM.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkS6kuLcBQc

The LXDE version is the one you will that will probably work best.

bernie
That is a very bad idea. A lot of XP boxes cannot run Qt5 because the processor is too old. And if that's the case, it's not just the OS, but the processor. The OP needs to do a Windows 8.1 comparability test to see if it passes. If it passes, then the OP can decide what to do. If not, the only solution is a hardware upgrade be it just a new processor or a new motherboard/processor/memory.

Running Linux will not change a thing if it is the processor. It would not have the needed instructions to run Qt5.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:16 PM   #5
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That is a very bad idea. A lot of XP boxes cannot run Qt5 because the processor is too old. And if that's the case, it's not just the OS, but the processor. The OP needs to do a Windows 8.1 comparability test to see if it passes. If it passes, then the OP can decide what to do. If not, the only solution is a hardware upgrade be it just a new processor or a new motherboard/processor/memory.

Running Linux will not change a thing if it is the processor. It would not have the needed instructions to run Qt5.
If you have a Socket 775 P4 or newer Pentium then you will have no trouble running QT5.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2014, 08:18 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
If you have a Socket 775 P4 or newer Pentium then you will have no trouble running QT5.

bernie
It's also possible it's an older AMD that doesn't have SSE2.

This is why I say to run the check to see if the system will handle Windows 8.1. If it will, it will run Qt5.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:32 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's also possible it's an older AMD that doesn't have SSE2.

This is why I say to run the check to see if the system will handle Windows 8.1. If it will, it will run Qt5.
32 bit Athelons do not have SSE2, only 64bit AMDs of the time
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:23 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
32 bit Athelons do not have SSE2, only 64bit AMDs of the time
The first dual-core AMD processors did not have SSE2. I do have an AMD Athlon XP dual-core processor and it's fully capable of running Qt5 and Windows 8.1.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:34 AM   #9
A.T.E.

Thanks to all for the feedback.
I am using an old laptop, so the proposed workarounds are either not possible or not convenient.
What I am thinking now is to manually add the driver of the newer device to the current version of Calibre: in fact the program "sees" them as plugins; so in theory it should be possible.
Is it doable?
Old 12-26-2014, 07:16 AM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Davidfor has mentioned in the past that he had an idea on how to add the USB ids for newer devices into version 1.48. Hopefully he chimes in soon...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:26 PM   #11
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T.E. View Post
Thanks to all for the feedback.
I am using an old laptop, so the proposed workarounds are either not possible or not convenient.
What I am thinking now is to manually add the driver of the newer device to the current version of Calibre: in fact the program "sees" them as plugins; so in theory it should be possible.
Is it doable?
If you don't mind running from source eschwartz has backported stuff like drivers etc for calibre 1.48 you can follow the instructions from the post below.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=197
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:01 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Indeed I did, and I am amenable to backporting other device drivers as well.

That is how backporting drivers would work anyway, you run from a source checkout and edit the code however you like, loading new device drivers for example... and I have already done some of that in my WinXP-backports branch.

Also, try something like CPU-Z to check your hardware for compatibility, specifically look to see if your processor supports the sse2 instruction set.

If it supports sse2 then you can most likely upgrade to a modern OS with minimal or no hardware upgrades -- though you can and maybe should get a cheap RAM upgrade. My current laptop (11 yrs. old) came with 256 MB, I requisitioned it from a family member and bought a 2GB upgrade for $15 and installed linux to it.

One option is to purchase Windows 8.x, alternatively look at the free Linux Mint or other linux distro.
Linux distros will tend to have lower system requirements than Windows 8.x.

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-05-2015 at 05:05 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:27 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
A.T.E.: You sent me a Visitor Message about this thread and helping you get newer devices working with calibre 1.48. What device? I have stated in several places, and PeterT mentioned it above, that as soon as someone who is stuck on 1.48 gets a Kobo H2O, I will do something. It won't take me long, but, until someone actually has the need, I'm not interested in doing it. There are a few reasons for this. Mostly, it is that I have other things to spend my time on. Until is is needed, I'll be doing those things. And as I won't be able to test it properly myself, there is no point in doing it until someone can.

For other devices, I can make suggestions, but I can't test them. I've read through some of the driver code looking for ideas, so I know what is happening in them. If you are thinking of doing it yourself and want some guidance, ask away.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:52 PM   #14
A.T.E.

davidfor: I was considering buying a Kobo H2O, but I first wanted to be sure that Calibre on my XP would work with it.
If it is to be the other way round (first buy it and then ask you to help make it work on Calibre), that's fine as well.
If I can help you, I am willing to do it. Actually, what is to be done? Recompile the whole Calibre 1.48 or just build the driver and add it to the existing compiled 1.48?

eschwartz: the reasons why I am not upgrading Windows are the hardware limitations and the compatibility with an older software that won't run on Vista and newer.
I would be more open to use Linux. The only problem is that it would complicate my IT life at home. I have tested it in these days on a dual boot from a secondary drive: Linux works like a charm, however making Calibre connect to the library on my NAS via Windows/Samba/CIFS share is already proving not so simple, as I need to tweak things so that the share is mounted, with the right permissions and so on... (*)
On the other hand my XP setup is already done and it is doing its job just fine.

(*) I'd rather relax and read an e-book, don't you think? :-)
Old 01-14-2015, 04:16 PM   #15
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I have a feeling that the Kobo H2O is a MTP type device (like most of the modern eReader devices). If I am right then it willnot work on XPwith Calibre as Calibre does not support MTP devices on XP.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, kobo, plugin, tolino, windows xp