Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-19-2014, 10:47 AM   #16
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I should have taken a photo !

It looked to me like a corrupt video card display, there was a frozen screen saver picture on the top part of the screen but with a lot of short angled lines running through part of it, like someone has taken a stanley knife to a photo and made some small cuts. Then there's a perfectly clear, normal lower section but the border between that & the frozen zone starts out as a horizontal border coming in from left hand side then flows upwards like a spreading pool from about half way across.

the T3 was posted monday, Sony should be getting it today or tomorrow so hopefully I will hear something by end of the week.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:48 AM   #17
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quite often part of the screen does still work even if the glass substrate is broken. They don't usually break/crack in a completely straight line though.....

Again, good luck, hope you get it replaced, and please keep us posted.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2014, 01:05 PM   #18
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

sony just me sent this:

Your Sony PRST3 with serial number xxxxxx has been received for repair.
Your registration code is xxxxxx
Our job number is xxxxxxx.
We estimate its return in 5 working days.

no clues there, I guess everyone gets that message - does not mean they've actually looked at it yet ?
Old 02-19-2014, 02:34 PM   #19
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
sony just me sent this:

Your Sony PRST3 with serial number xxxxxx has been received for repair.
Your registration code is xxxxxx
Our job number is xxxxxxx.
We estimate its return in 5 working days.

no clues there, I guess everyone gets that message - does not mean they've actually looked at it yet ?
No. It's a canned email that simply says they've received it. Nothing more than that.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:01 PM   #20
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
I should have taken a photo !

It looked to me like a corrupt video card display, there was a frozen screen saver picture on the top part of the screen but with a lot of short angled lines running through part of it, like someone has taken a stanley knife to a photo and made some small cuts.
If there were angled lines, that's broken glass, as said above.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2014, 10:03 PM   #21
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
That sounds like a broken screen unfortunately.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:31 AM   #22
cybmole
Wizard

I contacted my card issuer and asked for a transaction dispute form to be posted to me, just in in case. no more news from Sony, yet. Credit card issuer has joint liability.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:16 AM   #23
cybmole
Wizard

letter from sony today
"we are in receipt of your product and estimate its return in five working days , provided our engineers do not find damage,liquid or sand ingress"

strange sentence

then there is a section called condition of unit on receipt:
front: cracked screen
rear: slightly marked
general: cosmetic OK, screen looks cracked

job type: UK Warranty PCD

If the T3 does come back fixed I will probably sell it ( once bitten twice shy) as I now have a Kobo aura HD.

so if anyone in UK wants to make me an offer, PM me
Old 02-21-2014, 05:42 AM   #24
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:

If the T3 does come back fixed I will probably sell it ( once bitten twice shy) as I now have a Kobo aura HD.
Which will break just as easily. Get a good quality rigid case, and treat it with the care due to a glass-screened device.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:00 PM   #25
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Which will break just as easily. Get a good quality rigid case, and treat it with the care due to a glass-screened device.
It is not so thin, I think Sony's quest for lightest, thinnest e-reader led them astray. The old metal framed 650s would probably survive a game of frisbee !

I am getting a Kobo cover. I find it hard to gently lay it face down after reading, ,as there's nothing to really grip as you lower it down the final inch or so . & I don't want to store it face up
Old 02-21-2014, 12:43 PM   #26
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
It is not so thin,
The glass substrate is, yes. See the teardown pics in the thread below. Remember for scale that the green is the circuit board.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=teardown

Quote:
I am getting a Kobo cover. I find it hard to gently lay it face down after reading, ,as there's nothing to really grip as you lower it down the final inch or so . & I don't want to store it face up
As long as there is nothing sticking up under it when you set it down and you're not slamming it down, I won't be too worried about setting it down gently. I have dropped a couple of mine on hardwood floor and deformed the plastic corner and not broke the screen. IMHO twisting of the device is the real screen killer.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:17 PM   #27
cybmole
Wizard

Sony T3 blurb:
A slimmer, lighter Reader™ ...With a comfortable protective snap cover..

...Slip it in and out of your jacket... This is the Reader that’s as thin, light and versatile as your everyday paperback.....

..Ultra lightweight 200g (including cover)...

my italics - did not do a very good job of protecting mine

and the suggestion that you walk about with it slipped inside your jacket noes not equate to treat it like a very fragile piece of glass!

if your top design aim is ultra lightweight then robustness has to be less important.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:08 PM   #28
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Sony T3 blurb:
A slimmer, lighter Reader™ ...With a comfortable protective snap cover..

...Slip it in and out of your jacket... This is the Reader that’s as thin, light and versatile as your everyday paperback.....

..Ultra lightweight 200g (including cover)...

my italics - did not do a very good job of protecting mine

and the suggestion that you walk about with it slipped inside your jacket noes not equate to treat it like a very fragile piece of glass!

if your top design aim is ultra lightweight then robustness has to be less important.
I'm not arguing that that's deceptive marketing (yes the cover may protect the screen from direct impact, but not so much from twisting) and none of the e-reader companies do a very good job (OK, none of them even try) of telling people to treat their devices carefully. In fact, most of them talk about throwing it into pocket etc. Reality is that they are more fragile than that, and the companies won't stand behind it even though they suggest you can just toss it in your pocket and go.

I will argue that ultra lightweight and poor robustness HAVE to go together, but obviously there is a $$$ tradeoff in maintaining robustness and getting to ultra lightweight.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #29
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
It is not so thin, I think Sony's quest for lightest, thinnest e-reader led them astray. The old metal framed 650s would probably survive a game of frisbee !
LOL That's funny! I dare you to try that! You're kidding yourself if you think any of them can survive you chucking it across a room. They're not meant for that and they will not survive regardless of the outer material being plastic or anodized metal.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:26 PM   #30
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
You put it FACE DOWN without a cover? OMG
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote