Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
angeratdawn
angeratdawn began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Setting up new Kobo

Hi: I just bought a new Kobo HD Aura and am having a bit of trouble. I followed all the steps to set up my new Kobo and now it is sitting on the restarting screen and going no where. Is this a normal issue and do I just sit and wait. Any advice would be appreciated. I have a Kobo Touch that I am upgrading from that has never given me this type of issue.

Thanks for your help in advance !!:
angeratdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
theonna
One
theonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony, Kindle,Pocketbook, Nook...
Quote:
Originally Posted by angeratdawn View Post

Hi: I just bought a new Kobo HD Aura and am having a bit of trouble. I followed all the steps to set up my new Kobo and now it is sitting on the restarting screen and going no where. Is this a normal issue and do I just sit and wait. Any advice would be appreciated. I have a Kobo Touch that I am upgrading from that has never given me this type of issue.

Thanks for your help in advance !!:
I hope it is just slow. Did it finally start?
theonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
It took mine quite some time (perhaps 20 minutes) to start up out of the box, as it updated the system software not once, but twice.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Has happened to me several times. You can wait, or reset it again by pulling the slider for about 10 seconds. might take a couple of times.

Mine seems to restart better if it is plugged into the computer and not connected when doing this. But might be coincidence.

Also will probably finish restarting eventually by just waiting.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
angeratdawn

It did not start. I phoned customer service and was told to let it charge for 3 hours. I did and still nothing...I tried the reset and the paper clip went it and touched nothing. I tried to turn it on and no response. I even went so far as to try another cord. I give up!! This is the 2nd Kobo Aura I have tried today. Both bought at Chapters and both the ivory colour. Were they made on a Monday??

I wonder if I would have had better luck with the Glo or the Arc?
Advert
Old 05-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
theonna
One
theonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony, Kindle,Pocketbook, Nook...
How do you charge your Aura? Could it be that your computer jack does not give it enough power to charge? It could happen if you are using laptop. Also I noticed that I get better results when I use slider, then count to 5 and use it again, I can verify then that Aura is turning on by flashing led light by the power slider(it flashes twice, I think)
Good luck.
theonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:27 PM   #7
angeratdawn

I have never had any trouble charging my Kobo Touch. I tried the slider several times and no lights came on at all. I will take it back tomorrow the maybe will go over to Best Buy and ask them for help with it.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:35 AM   #8
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
The Kobo Desktop software can take a very long time to download new firmware and transfer it to the device, and it gives no indication of what it's doing - it just appears to be stuck. Make sure you leave the Kobo plugged into the computer with the desktop software running for a good long time, like at least 30 minutes.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #9
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I had the same problem with my first Aura. Whatever I did, I couldn't make it work and had to return it to the store. The second one worked well.

But with the second, I was more careful. I connected it, let it charge for several hours before I opened the Kobo Desktop and synced. Then I disconnected, let it update, and only after that reconnected and transfered some books onto my Aura.

Anyway I contacted Sameer before that and maybe what he told me will help you. This is what Sameer adviced me to do:

"1. Hold down the power button for about 30 seconds. This executes a hardware shut down and kills anything in the system that might be plugging things up.
2. Plug the device into a computer for about 1 hour to make sure the battery has charge. (The device might turn on by itself once it has enough charge).
3. Unplug the device.
4. Try turning it on. If it turns on great, If it doesn't turn on, and you don't see any light blinking, hold down the power button for 30 seconds again.
5. Now while holding the light button and keeping it pressed, turn the device on and continue to keep the light button pressed. This should execute a hardware factory reset.

If the screen starts flashing for any reason, that's a good sign, if it remains blank for a while, just leave it for about 10 minutes as it might be doing something."
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #10
angeratdawn

Customer service had no clue as to why this was happening. I took back the Aura to my local Chapters where I bought it. I explained the issue to the sales attendant and she offered me a new one and proceeded to set it up right then and there via wi-fi It works beautifully!!! I have brought it home connected it to the computer and it is charging and syncing properly. Coincidence that it happened twice and on the same colour Kobo(bad batch)?
Old 05-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Mine was Espresso, so I guess it doesn't have to do with the color.

Good that you have a working Aura now. Enjoy!
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #12
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
I had trouble setting my Aura up via wifi. I finally gave up and downloaded the desktop app to a laptop. The setup went smooth on the laptop.

A couple of weeks later my wife purchased an Aura. I was able to setup her Aura by wifi without a hitch.

Go figure.
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #13
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by geormes View Post
I had trouble setting my Aura up via wifi. I finally gave up and downloaded the desktop app to a laptop. The setup went smooth on the laptop.

A couple of weeks later my wife purchased an Aura. I was able to setup her Aura by wifi without a hitch.

Go figure.
Since the "setup" process requires a connection to Kobo's servers, it does
bring up the question of which end of the process might be having problems,
your end or Kobo's? Something tells me that we will never know if the
trouble is at their end. Perhaps, timing is everything.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #14
navderek
navderek began at the beginning.

Static IP configuration non-existant

Just posted about this in another thread for future FW feature requests....

The Kobo Aura HD does NOT allow you to setup static IP. In fact it just won't even connect to a WiFi network that is not running with DHCP. Very sad. My first eReader and I get this type of experience. I contacted support and they basically told me nothing they can do and that I need to use the desktop when I want to go online....BUYER BEWARE!
navderek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:30 PM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@Navderek: As far as I can remember NO Kobo device has supported this; the manuals have never described Static IP configuration.

I can't even remember in all the years of reading / discussing Kobo another person with the same need.

While yes, you might have some rationale based on a sense of security, I do feel that you are in minute group of users.

I have assigned my devices pseudo-static addresses through the simple means of an IP address assigned to a MAC address via my DHCP server.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote