Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #16
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking
Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post

Set one of the sky routers to wifi channel 1 and the other to channel 6 (or google for alternative non-overlapping channels, especially if you have neighbours also using wifi).

Set the wifi SSID on both routers to the same name and the same encryption settings and key (ideally WPA2 only). Also make sure you disable "use router as DHCP server" for the 2nd router (the one not connected to your phone line).

With that setup, devices will connect to whichever router has the strongest wifi connection.

Now I have set the two sky routers together however I'm stumped on the bit I've highlighted. I've managed to get the routers to run through each other but under different keys so I have to switch connection when I enter the room

Do you have any clear instruction on this? If no not an issue I'll try the good old fashioned Google
Villordsutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:53 PM   #17
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking
Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4
Ignore my last request. Based on your info I went into my router setup (carefully) and straight away I noticed what you where talking about.

A few clicks later and YAYAYAYYY!

Fantastic connection in both rooms.

Thanks for that info
Villordsutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #18
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
include a camera tripod for aiming, which wouldn't have enhanced their bedroom
I knew a couple who had a camera tripod in their bedroom-complete with video camera. Not friends, fortunately-they were busted after they started selling their videos.

Anyway, one thing to remember about 802.11n is that it comes in various 'flavors' but you usually only get one. I upgraded to a dual-band 802.11n 300Mbps router-and saw no improvement except on one laptop. Investigation revealed that that laptop had 802.11a/b/g/n WiFi. The others have the much more common 802.11b/g/n.

Right now my thought is that the 2.4GHz band is congested in my neighborhood-but it'll take buying a $100US gadget to prove it. Apps don't do the job because WiFi cards ignore non-WiFi signals. There are loads of non-WiFi signals congesting the 2.4GHz bandwidth from garage door openers, cordless phones, wireless thermometers, etc. Even, supposedly, microwaves. (Microwaves do operate at 2.4GHz but they're supposed to be shielded to keep all that inside. Note the 'supposed to be' qualification there.)

Anyway, I'm not sure what good that'll do on a tablet. It's probably like my laptops but worse-all I can do is make sure that when I replace them I get one with the a/b/g/n WiFi.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:50 AM   #19
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Extend Wi Fi

I use a an extender:

I live in a bungalow and my bedroom being 3 brick walls away from my router is in a wifi fi cold spot.

I use a Netgear extender which does the job nicely:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-Univ...6518575&sr=1-2

You can team it up with any make of router, mine just happens to be a BT Home Hub but before that I had a Belkin.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You may also get some improvements by disabling the unused WiFi modes and only use a single mode: a, b, g or n. Obviously, ALL your devices must support your choice
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert