Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #91
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mngharry View Post
Just received my 4th replacement. It's not really better than the best of the three I've had before. The screen has a pinkish hue, and the text less sharp than some screens I have seen.

The one I got as a new order last week (as a gift to someone else, sadly for me), however, has a simply amazing screen. I was hoping Amazon had improved the quality on the later Kindles and that a replacement would have improved too.

I'm considering returning my original Kindle for good and then try ordering a brand new one, instead of getting replacements, in case they are recycling old returned Kindles for returns.
That is so sad! Return and start over in case, if they are recycling old ones. I hope you finally get a good one.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:05 AM   #92
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
So did you read with it yet? I hope you love yours too. I really do love the ease of reading in a dark room.
Work. Too busy. But I did get to read some. Love the texture of the screen. Time left in chapter is such a silly gimmick, that I don't know how I did without it before

Not sure about my light - I think mine is a bit dark. Was trying out in a fairly dark room, and was still using light around 12. If I turn it down the page ceases to appear white. So have to see how it works during a longer reading session in the dark. In good lit rooms it is an improvement - never be dependend on enough light
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2012, 07:57 AM   #93
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I don't know if my paperwhite is considered to be good, bad or inbetween but I'm happy with it. I use it on level 3 at night and above 15 in the daylight. This is comfortable for me and I don't see any screen imperfections when I use it.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #94
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
I don't know if my paperwhite is considered to be good, bad or inbetween but I'm happy with it. I use it on level 3 at night and above 15 in the daylight. This is comfortable for me and I don't see any screen imperfections when I use it.

3 in a dark room? I am now up to 10 in a dark room. I think they are all different. As long as you can see it and read that is all that matters.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #95
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
3 in a dark room? I am now up to 10 in a dark room. I think they are all different. As long as you can see it and read that is all that matters.
I could read comfortably on it on 2 or even less but I put it on 3 as I worry about eye strain. If I put it on more than 5 I find the light too harsh in the dark.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #96
Katmandu
Katmandu began at the beginning.

Device: none
Got my PW from Tsco Direct yesterday- quality is excellent! There is some darkening around 1cm from the bottom of the screen, the rest is perfect. Both in daylight and in the dark. Very happy with the device - it was a competition between PW and KoboGLo, but PW won by a mile - thanks to vastly superior dictionaries for the most part
Katmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:59 AM   #97
fauxpas
Connoisseur
fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW
So, my replacement arrived today, this is what it looks like (on the left):
http://imgur.com/a/HF78S

Initially the screen looked darker and more greenish than the old one but they seem to be somewhat more similar in terms of brightness now. All in all, they actually don't look that different. Both certainly aren't perfect and both are definitely usable, but I'll wait and see if I'm going to notice the discoloration with the new one as I did with the old one.
fauxpas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #98
mngharry
Enthusiast
mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PRS-505
So after a couple of days using my replacement, it feels better. I don't know whether I got used to it, or it somehow improved.
mngharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #99
oldbook
Enthusiast
oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
The latest batch are the PW with "503" in the serial number.
A 501 replacement could be refurbished.
oldbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #100
fauxpas
Connoisseur
fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My replacement has a 501 in the SN, the old one is a 502 one. The replacement shipped with the old 5.2.0 firmware and even the original one came with 5.3.0 so I don't really think it's refurbished but rather just a bunch of "backup" units they kept in store for replacements.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #101
oldbook
Enthusiast
oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Was the box marked with an R (above the barcode)?
Old 12-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #102
fauxpas
Connoisseur

Yeah, it was, but there is no confirmation that the "R" stands for "refurbished" as far as I'm aware, so it's difficult to be sure.

But if they'd refurbish it, wouldn't they also at least install the most recent firmware?
Old 12-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #103
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Not sure. But both mine came with 5.3.0 and both got 503 in the serial number. And both don't have hue problems.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #104
oldbook
Enthusiast

If you request an replacement you will get an 501 in most cases.

The only way is to return and order a new one.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:13 PM   #105
mikeschr
Connoisseur
mikeschr is on a distinguished road

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara
I just got a new PW today and it looks great. However, I saw one in Best Buy around launch time and it also looked great, so I might be one of the people who doesn't tend to see colors on all the screens. My SN has a 502 in the second segment, if that's where you're looking.
mikeschr is offline   Reply With Quote