Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-04-2011, 11:22 PM   #1
krispy_original
krispy_original began at the beginning.

Device: none
kindle pc app not retrieving books

Calibre Library is selected as the content file under Options > Content on the Kindle pc app, but the application isn't bringing those books into the app. The only books that show up (in the Archived Items tab) are the freebies I downloaded when I first installed the app. My other books used to show up in the Home tab, but now it's empty.

All my other books that I imported into Calibre and converted are in author folders in the Calibre Library folder, just like they're supposed to be.

I thought the app automatically fetched the Kindle content from the author folders. Is there something else I need to do to bring the books into the pc app? Nothing but the archived items shows up in phone app, either. Thanks!
krispy_original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I thought the app automatically fetched the Kindle content from the author folders. Is there something else I need to do to bring the books into the pc app? Nothing but the archived items shows up in phone app, either. Thanks!
No, Kindle for PC will not automatically drill down through an author-based directory structure to find ebooks. You have to have all of your ebooks in one (no subfolders) folder for it to find them all.

Also, no amount of tweaking is going to make all of your ebooks automatically appear on the iPhone (or Android) App, they must be downloaded from the archive individually. Synchronizing doesn't load all of your ebooks on multiple devices... it only synchronizes your archive -- plus furthest read points, and notes/highlights/bookmarks for books the devices already have in common.

Nothing will make your calibre library magically appear on your phone's Kindle app... you'll have to manually sideload those.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-05-2011 at 12:06 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2011, 12:09 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by krispy_original View Post
Is there something else I need to do to bring the books into the pc app?
DiapDealer answered the key questions. Why not use calibre to open the book in Kindle for PC? I unchecked using calibre's internal viewer to open mobi files and clicking view in calibre opens the mobi book in Kindle for PC (the current program associated with mobi files on my computer).
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:17 AM   #4
krispy_original

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
No, Kindle for PC will not automatically drill down through an author-based directory structure to find ebooks. You have to have all of your ebooks in one (no subfolders) folder for it to find them all.
Thank you for responding. If I understand you correctly, I should leave my Calibre Library folder alone so that my Kindle reads from there, but I can make a separate folder and copy the Kindle content into the new folder and make that the "fetch from" directory for the app?
Old 02-05-2011, 12:19 AM   #5
krispy_original

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Why not use calibre to open the book in Kindle for PC? I unchecked using calibre's internal viewer to open mobi files and clicking view in calibre opens the mobi book in Kindle for PC (the current program associated with mobi files on my computer).
Appreciate the suggestion, Walt. I'll try that.
Advert
Old 02-05-2011, 07:06 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If you want to read your mobi's with Kindle for PC, then dwanthny's suggestion is your best bet.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote