Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
Greenhat
Enthusiast
Greenhat began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Why Astak website is too slow ?

Why Astak website is too slow ? i get stuck all time in this white page that tells me to wait, and I wait I wait.
This really an amateur site ! disgusting site.
Greenhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhat View Post
Why Astak website is too slow ? i get stuck all time in this white page that tells me to wait, and I wait I wait.
This really an amateur site ! disgusting site.
It is Flash
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
Greenhat
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It is Flash
By they put flash in the first page??
Do they want to sell or not ?
Old 12-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
By they put flash in the first page??
Do they want to sell or not ?
Well, actually it seems they don't. All of the ereaders have been listed as "out of stock" for months now.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
Greenhat
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Well, actually it seems they don't. All of the ereaders have been listed as "out of stock" for months now.
Out of stock for months ??
may they are not selling at all.
Advert
Old 12-22-2010, 07:31 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Out of stock for months ??
may they are not selling at all.
Not just Them, but the other V5 based OEM's also.

Something/someone stopped shipments.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:21 AM   #7
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Not just Them, but the other V5 based OEM's also.

Something/someone stopped shipments.
Which is kind of sad, I personally think the V5 is the best 5" reader out there (ignoring the peeling paint issue which could be fixed as a simple....don't paint it and keep it like the V3).

It still makes me wonder why Astak have not got on board with another OEM manufacturer so they can continue to sell ereaders. Now it is looking like 4 months without a sale....pretty hard to come back from. On the LBook website they are saying that the A6 and V60s are in production from January 2011, and Jinke have those models up for sale now on their site, so perhaps things will sort themselves out early next year.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:33 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Which is kind of sad, I personally think the V5 is the best 5" reader out there (ignoring the peeling paint issue which could be fixed as a simple....don't paint it and keep it like the V3).

It still makes me wonder why Astak have not got on board with another OEM manufacturer so they can continue to sell ereaders. Now it is looking like 4 months without a sale....pretty hard to come back from. On the LBook website they are saying that the A6 and V60s are in production from January 2011, and Jinke have those models up for sale now on their site, so perhaps things will sort themselves out early next year.
They did have the Mentor line. Not one mention of that,either, on the Astak site
Old 12-27-2010, 06:00 PM   #9
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
So any educated guess as to why Jinke was forced to stop distributing their eReaders?
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:49 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
So any educated guess as to why Jinke was forced to stop distributing their eReaders?
Do you have easy access to the Source code for the 'Open" source programs that were used on the device?
(not all programs used are Open Source. Those don't need to provide sources)
Didn't think so.

A direct violation of the usage license terms.

Last edited by theducks; 12-28-2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 12-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #11
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Do you have easy access to the Source code for the 'Open" source programs that were used on the device?
(not all programs used are Open Source. Those don't need to provide sources)
Didn't think so.

A direct violation of the usage license terms.
http://www.jinke.com.cn/Compagesql/E...sourcecode.asp Not sure how up to date it is. When the EZ series were listed on Astak.com there was a link to download the source code directly from Astak. Not having readily accessible access to source code is not a violation, what would be a violation is if someone requested the source code and Jinke denied it to them.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:52 PM   #12
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Thanks ducks and Solicitous... seems a likely reason....however, i am surprised at the delay. Too bad... they have good products.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:49 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
http://www.jinke.com.cn/Compagesql/E...sourcecode.asp Not sure how up to date it is. When the EZ series were listed on Astak.com there was a link to download the source code directly from Astak. Not having readily accessible access to source code is not a violation, what would be a violation is if someone requested the source code and Jinke denied it to them.
Thanks for the link.

I still stand on my 'easy' wording. Jinke is Not Astak, whose label is on the device. The link was not obvious, if it was on the EZReader site or the Astak site.
(And I did find the tools to set the startup and shutdown image. )
Old 12-30-2010, 08:31 AM   #14
Solicitous
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Well lots of possibilities;
- Pretty hard to sell an ereader nowdays for $179US that is just an ereader when looking at the competition, Amazon, B&N, Kobo are all cheaper have an ebookstore integration and ease of buying (and the Nook and Kobo the option to use ADE is one so chooses).
- Perhaps contractual issues are arising through the resellers and terms of geographic sales ie: BeBook and Astak ship worldwide yet readers like the LBook and Eco Reader appear to be more localised.
- Chinese market may be bigger or more profitable for Jinke than the western market so they have redirected their efforts.
- Ceased production of the V3/V3+/V5 for the new line of readers on their website (according to LBook are released in January, coincide I guess with CES 2011).
- With increased demand for e-ink screens perhaps right now they can't buy the number they want at a reasonable price.

But this is one manufacturer and a good company would recognise a downfall in goods coming from that manufacturer and look elsewhere for a similar product to fill the demand, and as theducks pointed out, no mention of the Mentor range anywhere anymore.

Interestingly though here in Australia a new ereader started selling a week or so ago (http://dicksmith.com.au/product/A345...i-eink-ereader). I went and had a look at one (none were open) but the photo here shows a different logo to what was on the box (and subsequent pics on the box) which looks (other than the colours) identical to the EZReader logo on theezreader.com (same as on the top of the PP). If I happen to stumble by one that is open I'll take a few snaps and post them.

Quote:
Thanks for the link.

I still stand on my 'easy' wording. Jinke is Not Astak, whose label is on the device. The link was not obvious, if it was on the EZReader site or the Astak site.
(And I did find the tools to set the startup and shutdown image. )
Yeah no worries. The link is from Jinke, Astak had their own locally hosted copy WHEN they had the ereader link on Astak.com. I believe the Astak copy was more up-to-date.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:48 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
We've told them about flash left and right./ They ignore the users and they have nothing to sell. Won't be long till they no longer exist.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote