Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 05:22 PM   #31
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie56 View Post
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum, having been brought here by my attempts to redeem myself -- and the Kindle gift I gave my husband for Christmas. He is a prolific reader, checking stacks of books from the library regularly. When he asked for an e-book reader for Christmas, I posted on my facebook: "Kindle or Nook?" and the Kindle responses outweighed the Nooks. I got him the version with 3G & wifi. I simply assumed (you know what they say about that word) that it would be compatible with the ebooks offered from our library.

When you asked the question, did you make clear library usage was important? If so, the majority of votes would probably not gone with the Kindle.

Also, have you checked your local library to see if they even have e-book selections that your husband would enjoy? If not, it wouldn't make any difference which reader you bought. If so, contact Amazon and see about a return. They are very liberal.

Too many people think that "reading library books on my ebook reader" means that there is an unlimited number of books out there.

There isn't. Each library has its own selection, some have none, some have few, and a very limited amount of libraries have great selections. Realize that not all books are available in ebook format. This will change, but for now that is the sad fact.

You can't just go to any library, you must be a resident of that city/county's system.

The exception is the Philidelphia Free Library, which offers non resident cards.

However, keep in mind, with so many readers being sold, the wait lists are long.

As for "stealing ebooks" by breaking the drm, if the book is deleted after reading, how is that different from borrowing the book with a reader that doesn't require you to do so?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #32
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The benefit of the Sony is that it's the only ePub device which currently has the same "Pearl" screen that the Kindle does. I suspect the OP would be disappointed going from a Pearl screen to an older 2nd-generation screen such as the nook has.
True.

If you can, go to Best Buy and compare the Nook and the Sony. That should help you make a decision.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #33
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Because the legalitiy of stripping the DRM from library books for personal use was in question, I went and did some checking.

The Digital Millennium Copyright Act allows for "fair use" with the following stipulation for the user:

“reasonably believe that circumvention is necessary to fulfill the purpose of the use.”

It wasn't specifically referring to library books, or even books. It applies to all digital media. It also didn't specify that it must be purchased media. I would, therefore, think it applies to any media that you have the right to use - including library media as long as you abide by the rules of borrowing.

Since I reasonably believe that circumvention of DRM is necessary to read library books on my Kindle, I am not breaking any laws.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
Because the legalitiy of stripping the DRM from library books for personal use was in question, I went and did some checking.

The Digital Millennium Copyright Act allows for "fair use" with the following stipulation for the user:

“reasonably believe that circumvention is necessary to fulfill the purpose of the use.”

It wasn't specifically referring to library books, or even books. It applies to all digital media. It also didn't specify that it must be purchased media. I would, therefore, think it applies to any media that you have the right to use - including library media as long as you abide by the rules of borrowing.

Since I reasonably believe that circumvention of DRM is necessary to read library books on my Kindle, I am not breaking any laws.
That's not the problem. The problem is that you then gain the ability to retain the book beyond its loan period. Can you put your hand on your heart and swear that you've never kept a library book 1 day beyond its expiration date? That there are no copies lurking on your PC (eg in the Windows Recycle Bin), or in backups anywhere?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #35
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
That's not the problem. The problem is that you then gain the ability to retain the book beyond its loan period. Can you put your hand on your heart and swear that you've never kept a library book 1 day beyond its expiration date? That there are no copies lurking on your PC (eg in the Windows Recycle Bin), or in backups anywhere?
Unequivocally YES.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
Unequivocally YES.
Good for you, but I suspect that not everyone is as careful as you. Some people probably think, for example, then deleting a file really does delete it, and don't realise that it simply goes into the Recycle Bin.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:41 PM   #37
wacomme
Enthusiast
wacomme began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 arriving 1/12
I've never had an issue returning my paper library books in the allotted time. I don't see the issue with e-books as being much different. Read the e-library book. Delete the e-library book.
wacomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #38
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Sure it can be done, but some people don't want to have the hassle of removing DRM, which may also be illegal in some places. And removing DRM from library books isn't like removing DRM from books you've bought for personal use - you're effectively stealing books from the library.
Let us suppose you remove the DRM, put the converted mobi on your Kindle (and read it within the loan period) -- is that "effectively stealing"? I'd say it's more like "effectively" borrowing.

"Hey, Joe ... this new one of so-and-so's is terrific! I'll send you (the library copy I stripped)." THERE'S stealing!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #39
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I fear that the OP is going to have to start a new topic.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:32 PM   #40
Newfie56
Newfie56 plays well with othersNewfie56 plays well with othersNewfie56 plays well with othersNewfie56 plays well with othersNewfie56 plays well with othersNewfie56 plays well with othersNewfie56 plays well with othersNewfie56 plays well with othersNewfie56 plays well with othersNewfie56 plays well with othersNewfie56 plays well with others

Device: Kindle 3
I appreciate everyone's input. Before my husband asked for an ebook reader, he researched and assured himself that our library had plenty of ebooks of the type he wanted. It's true that there appears to be a long waiting list for some of them (he requested them before Christmas... knowing only he was getting an ebook reader, not what kind). He pointed out that it's a shame people have an ebook for the entire time period... whereas he usually finishes a (standard) book in a couple of days and then returns it. I guess there's no way to turn an ebook in early, is there? And still, it's a moot point 'til we figure out the Kindle issue.

abookreader... we've now done steps 1,2 & 3 and Calibre is waiting to go on our PC (Windows 7)
Newfie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #41
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

I have read that you can turn in e-books early but doing so seems to screw up your ability to read the books that you downloaded at the same time. So you should only return an e-book early if you have finished all of the books you have borrowed at the same time.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I have read that you can turn in e-books early but doing so seems to screw up your ability to read the books that you downloaded at the same time. So you should only return an e-book early if you have finished all of the books you have borrowed at the same time.
That is of course referring to reading them on an ePub device.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #43
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
He pointed out that it's a shame people have an ebook for the entire time period... whereas he usually finishes a (standard) book in a couple of days and then returns it.
Sometimes they give you a choice of whether you want the book for 7, 14, or, maybe, 21 days. So you can choose 7 days to give another borrower more time.

The lease rate the library pays OverDrive, Inc. reflects how many people will likely use the book. If they let people take out books for even shorter periods, OverDrive probably would charge more in anticipation of there being a greater number of patrons. Similarly, if some day Amazon reaches agreements allowing some eBooks to be used on Kindle devices, you can be sure that OverDrive will charge libraries a higher lease rate to support that option. Or maybe they will make the Kindle library book an entirely different purchase for the library. That's why I do agree with Harry that reading a copyrighted library book on a Kindle is, in morality, stealing, albeit in a quite mild form.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:01 PM   #44
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
I guess there's no way to turn an ebook in early, is there?
Of course. If you download an epub book, after its finished, go back to your ADE , and click on the little arrow next to the book.

You'll be given an option to 'return book'. Just click on that and its done

mobipocket books cannot be returned early.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:06 PM   #45
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
You haven't noticed that I've already done so?
linked to the law that specifically states that stripping DRM is illegal? no
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote