Notices

Old 11-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
li2boca
li2boca began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
failed to send mail

All of a sudden I'm getting this when I try to send a book to free.kindle.com:

Family Ties: A Novel

Failed to send mail: SMTPServerDisconnected('Connection unexpectedly closed',)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 646, in _send_mails
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 87, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 79, in sendmail_direct
IOError: Failed to send mail: SMTPServerDisconnected('Connection unexpectedly closed',)

My internet is working fine......any help appreciated
li2boca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
setup a free gmail account and use that to send your mail.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
li2boca

I've notice I'm not the only one with this problem, however, there doesn't seem to be a fix for it except to use Gmail. For Calibre to suddenly start issuing this error message is bizzare...I can't believe there is no fix for it. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Most likely the problem arose because your ISP changed their mail server and no longer accepts SSL or TLS connections on the port you are using. Another option is that they changed to pop-authenticate-before-send. Or introduced a mail proxy. Or any number of other options.

As for whether there is a fix: of course there is. All you need to do is figure out what protocol your ISP wants, then change calibre's code to use it. Voila!
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #5
li2boca

Geez..is that all? LOL. Easy for you to say, but I wouldn't know where to begin. Thanks.
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

which is why I said, use a free gmail account.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
sussexsue
sussexsue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have been using my Gmail address and the news has been happily sending for a couple of weeks. Then over the last couple of days I am getting the "Failed to send e-mail message". As far as I know nothing has changed, and I have checked the settings in Calibre and they look OK???
sussexsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:49 AM   #8
tjk
tjk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I'm getting a similar problem, but only when sending one specific news feed, the Wall Street Journal (subscription) and only in the past couple of days.

Calibre downloads the feed fine, packages it into mobi format, but then I get an error when sending (automatically or manually) via gmail:

ERROR: Failed to email books: Failed to email the following books:

The Wall Street Journal

Connection unexpectedly closed
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 646, in _send_mails
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 104, in sendmail
File "smtplib.py", line 712, in sendmail
File "smtplib.py", line 438, in rset
File "smtplib.py", line 363, in docmd
File "smtplib.py", line 340, in getreply
SMTPServerDisconnected: Connection unexpectedly closed

Two things about this really puzzle me (and I will freely admit that I am far better at identifying a problem than diagnosing it, let alone solving it). First, this only happens with WSJ, not with any of my other feeds. Second, when I go to the gmail account used to send the feed to my Kindle it appears to have been sent without a problem. I can click on the mobi file and Kindle for PC opens it without a problem, the whole feed is there.

So it appears calibre is telling me it wasn't sent, gmail says it was and has the file to prove it, and my Kindle is unaware any of this is going on. I strongly suspect the problem is at my end (i.e., between my ears) but I don't have a clue what it might be. The only thing I can think of is that the WSJ file is much bigger than the other feeds, almost 10mb and never less than 7mb. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

BTW, I absolutely love what calibre does for me. It made my Kindle ten times more useful than I thought it would be when I bought it.

P.S. - This problem still occurs after updating from version 0.7.27 to 0.7.28

Last edited by tjk; 11-13-2010 at 08:52 AM.
tjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:06 AM   #9
tjk

Further update on the issue I just mentioned.

I can use the web browser feature of my Kindle 3 to log onto my gmail account and download the WSJ mobi file. It's fine as a workaround, but I'd prefer to get it working the old fashioned way as I am completely lazy.

Thanks.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:10 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm, it's most likely something to do with the download size. It may be that Amazon has limited the size of email attachments recently to be less than the size of that file.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:34 PM   #11
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Hmm, it's most likely something to do with the download size. It may be that Amazon has limited the size of email attachments recently to be less than the size of that file.
I don't think so--I've been getting this problem lately with auto-send of WSJ and other newspapers. Repeating the send from the Calibre UI has always succeeded.

I actually think the problem is with Gmail--Google may be having some connectivity or bandwidth issues that causes it to sporadically terminate the mail server connection.
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:41 PM   #12
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk View Post
... when I go to the gmail account used to send the feed to my Kindle it appears to have been sent without a problem. I can click on the mobi file and Kindle for PC opens it without a problem, the whole feed is there.

So it appears calibre is telling me it wasn't sent, gmail says it was and has the file to prove it, and my Kindle is unaware any of this is going on.
I've seen this too--seems that Gmail puts the email in the "Sent Mail" folder before it tries to send it on to its destination. Hmmm...perhaps it's the Amazon mail server that's sporadically terminating connections and not Gmail at all (as I speculated in my previous post). If Amazon dumps the connection before message transmission is complete, that would cause Gmail to report failure even though the message is sitting in the Sent Mail folder.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:45 PM   #13
tjk

Thanks, guys, that's what struck me as weird. gmail's premature placement of items as "sent" is misleading, if that's in fact what it does. Good to hear nickredding had success resending these failed items, I have not. Still not clear how calibre knows it failed if gmail didn't. Is the program psychic?

Will update if the situation resolves itself, as in the case that gmail or Amazon has had glitches.

Last edited by tjk; 11-13-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:56 AM   #14
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net

An update on this problem--I'm now convinced it's a Gmail issue. I had two news feeds fail this morning, the 1MB Victoria Times Colonist and the 7MB NY Times. Four other feeds succeeded. The Victoria paper successfully went after I did a manual send, but the NYT would not. However, sending the NYT from my Cox email account worked first time.

BTW Amazon says its document size limit is 50MB, so that's not the issue.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:05 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

try using your ISP's mail server and see if that works.