Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-11-2010, 06:25 PM   #1
tiniree
Zealot
tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Nook 1st Gen
Has anyone ordered/read a DIY ebook?

I just noticed a crochet book I was thinking of buying is available for my Nook. I don't necessarily need the color photos, but am wondering about the detailed pics (stitches shown and stuff). Would the Nook screen show the detail enough to see clearly?

Marie
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
Enraptured
Connoisseur
Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Touch
Pictures can be iffy in ebooks; depending on the book, they can show up fine, or they can be really small or not show up at all. For a book like that, I'd probably buy the paper version. You could also download a sample to your Nook and see if any pictures appear in the sample, and if so, how good the quality is.
Enraptured is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
tiniree
Zealot
tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Yeah I thought about the picture aspect too. I did download the sample, but of course, the only thing that is included in the sample is the introduction.......no pics
Old 11-11-2010, 09:54 PM   #4
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Yes, the pictures can be problematic. Your best bet is to look for a PDF. I've purchased many PDF patterns but not for use on a reading device unless I take the time to hand convert the PDF to rtf and then to mobi or epub. If the directions are text not charts then it's not as much a problem.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:17 PM   #5
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Are you on Ravelry? I know there is a general eReader group there and I believe there is a Nook-specific one. There may be somebody there who has tried the book you are looking at?

In general, photographs that require color-contrast to see stuff don't do too well on e-ink, but pen-and-ink type diagrams are very nice.
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #6
tiniree
Zealot

Cool! I am on Ravelry. I will go check that out.

Marie