Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
tamsanh
tamsanh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Remap a Ctrl key for WebBrowser-based SSH

Hello,

I was wondering if there was any possible way to remap the Kindle keyboard to make it send a CTRL key keycode over its web browser when the 'alt' key is pressed.

The reason I ask is that I've just recently installed shellinabox on my linux webserver, and have been lightly enjoying my Kindle's new psuedo-SSH powers (it's like Ajaxterm). However, a huge set back for me is the lack of a CTRL key on the Kindle. I use a screen/dvtm combination of CLI program management, and the CTRL key is an absolute necessity to use these programs.

So, is there a way to switch that rarely-used Alt key on the Kindle to emulate a CTRL key press? Or, some other alternative way to get that CTRL key?
tamsanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
tamsanh

Well, if anyone is following in my footsteps, I think I found a solution.

Instead of remapping the entire kindle3 keyboard, it's much easier to just change the mod keys associated with the screen and dvtm commands.

Thus:

Code:
screen -x -e\,a
Makes it so that when you press , you can then follow it with a screen command. To send a normal comma you type ,a

This is important because, by using
Code:
dvtm -m ,
within a screen window, you can control both screen and dvtm via the Kindle.
As one might guess, in order to control the dvtm, one must type ,a[command]; where [command] is whatever dvtm command you would like to use.

Also, in order to send a normal comma to the dvtm window, simply type a comma twice. Thus I'm pretty sure that ,a,a will get you a normal comma.

Comma is used simply because it is the first thing always selected by the Sym button on the K3.
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 07:43 AM   #3
Jophish
Jophish began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
If you are looking for a terminal for the kindle, I can highly recommend kiterm. There is no key that can't be reached!
Jophish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
tamsanh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophish View Post
If you are looking for a terminal for the kindle, I can highly recommend kiterm. There is no key that can't be reached!
Oh wow! This is great!
I can't believe I missed this (I regularly read hackaday).

I'm sorry, but could you explain how I run it on the kindle? I've gotten it jailbroken, but his instructions of "run the program" are vague.

Tags
kindle ssh