Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-31-2013, 08:54 AM   #15496
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, not at all.
Thanks, Harry. I'll download a sample.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:00 AM   #15497
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Now, next cab off the rank is another indie effort. This time it's Taking the Highway by M. H. Mead. I've already read two novels from this writing duo and enjoyed them both. This one is set in the same future world so it should feel quite familiar and hopefully will be at least as enjoyable as those I have read before.
Loved this. Of the three novels, I enjoyed this one the most. I like the way these authors feed off ideas in one novel to spin a whole new and interesting story in another novel. The three novels are basically standalone, but in the same near future. In this case, the authors have taken a fairly innocuous part of the first novel and created a really interesting story. I even really liked the main character - which is always nice.

I was going to knock off half a star because I felt the logic slipping a little towards the end in a couple of places. However, I enjoyed it too much. And by that stage it was all go go go! 5 stars.

Now I'll be tackling another independent novel. This time by Tony Bertauski. It's called Halfskin. Genetic engineering gone awry?! I can do that. It sounds like it could be good, so we'll see how it goes.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 09:16 AM   #15498
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post

Oh well, I'm on to The First Confessor by Terry Goodkind. I always look forward to his books.

It would be interesting to read your take on it - I've seen mixed reviews.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:08 AM   #15499
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
How Firm a Foundation by David Weber. Continuing his Safehold series, and I hope this one moves a bit faster than the previous one!
I found this a bit slow, although I got back into the flow again by the end.

Next was another recent purchase, Asimov's SF, February 2013 by Dell Magazines. This was an average issue. Nothing outstanding, yet nothing terrible either.

Straight onto Asimov's SF, March 2013 by Dell Magazines
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:15 AM   #15500
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
It would be interesting to read your take on it - I've seen mixed reviews.
The First Confessor started out pretty slow, but 44% in it's kind of picking up speed. I guess we'll see how the rest goes!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 12:21 PM   #15501
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Once he'd got his LOTR clone (aka "The Sword of Shannara") out of his system, he became a much better writer. The other books are worth reading, to my mind.
Am I the only person that really enjoyed Sword Of Shannara?

That said, I agree they got better....

Voyage of Jerle Shannara series is very good.

High Druid of Shannara series is ok, but not as good as above... iirc... it's been a while since I read this.

I really liked the Landover series... but lighter, more YA like... although I never read the newest book cause I heard it wasn't all that great.

I'll have to add Word and the Void series to my to read list.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:36 PM   #15502
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Nope. I ain't apologizing for it either.

Certainly not when at the time I first read it, the only fantasy available in the book stores I haunted that wasn't a LotR clone, was LotR itself. Love it/Hate it/Make fun of it ... Terry Brooks, Lester Del Rey, and Stephen R Donaldson (and their readership) deserve a lot of the credit for fantasy even finding its way onto prominent book store shelves in the first place.

Now, having said that... I've moved on from enjoying Brooks' style of High|Epic|Whatever fantasy long ago. But I'll always be nostalgic about those first three books of his. Especially the second one.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:03 PM   #15503
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm currently about 20% into Winter Dragon by Henry Martin. I'm enjoying it, reminds me of Tom Clancy's early books
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:46 PM   #15504
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I need constant reminders that I need to read that this year.
Just received my used pbook copy of "The Short Novels of John Steinbeck" which includes Cannery Row -- is on my TBR list for the year.

Last edited by kennyc; 01-31-2013 at 04:06 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:24 PM   #15505
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I'm reading Guy Gavriel Kay's "Under Heaven". It's been on my TBR list for a long time, since it was published. I had begun to read it at an earlier point and stopped for reasons that I, quite frankly, can't recall anymore. I'm excited to give it another go!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:37 PM   #15506
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Next is 11/22/63 by Stephen King. Lots of you have said this is worth reading, so I am going to try it. It has been 20 years since I last read anything by SK.
That was excellent! I finished it on Monday and then haven't been able to read much since.

Now time for Shift Omnibus by Hugh Howey, Silo books 6-8. I wanted to wait for the omnibus before starting fearing that if all three weren't available I would drive myself nuts waiting for the next in the series. So far it has been very good.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:45 PM   #15507
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
My wife is almost finished reading 11/23/63. She was up until 4:00 AM reading it last night. Considering that she needed to get up at 7:30 AM............
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:35 PM   #15508
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I did enjoy it as well. I've not read most of the series. So I'm doing it in chronological order.

Spoiler:
Turns out our present is Shannara's past.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:36 PM   #15509
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
My wife is almost finished reading 11/23/63. She was up until 4:00 AM reading it last night. Considering that she needed to get up at 7:30 AM............
Apache
It is one heck of a good book. Don't start 11/23/63 if you don't have the time to read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #15510
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you read the Shannara series in chronological order, you will be pleasantly surprised. The Word & Void series actually comes first. I was surprised when I found out. I'm reading the 2nd book now and I like the series. Then I'll move on to the next in order. It's not all like LoTR. Just some of it is similar.
I prefer the publish order, because I don't want to miss the subtle references usually seen in later books in series.

Quote:
Once he'd got his LOTR clone (aka "The Sword of Shannara") out of his system, he became a much better writer. The other books are worth reading, to my mind.
Alright. I'll continue skimming Shannara to see if anything interesting comes up.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote