Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
When you get the error what do you see if you use a file manager to examine the mounted USB drive(s).

I have a long-standing problem where the USB connection is lost when Calibre tries to synch with the Glo - the drive is still showing as mounted under Windows but is empty (Volume type: unknown, Staus : unreadable) and wonder if your problem is the same as mine.
I had that issue with my original Kobo until I updated the AMD USB filter driver. That seems to have fixed the problem under Windows XP. After wiping and updating to Windows 7, the problem has not shown up again.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #17
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I had that issue with my original Kobo until I updated the AMD USB filter driver. That seems to have fixed the problem under Windows XP. After wiping and updating to Windows 7, the problem has not shown up again.
I'm running WinXP and I'm going to try updating the AMD USB filter driver as you said. Hopefully that will stop this issue.

Edit: Actually I can't find the driver for my particular motherboard and not sure if the driver for a similar but not identical motherboard will work or not. My motherboard is Asus M4A78 PLUS.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 07-05-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #18
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
Like Riplinger I can't find an updated driver for my MoBo. The problem only started when the Glo updated from 2.40 - since then I hit the issue with varying degrees of regularity.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:26 AM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I'm running WinXP and I'm going to try updating the AMD USB filter driver as you said. Hopefully that will stop this issue.

Edit: Actually I can't find the driver for my particular motherboard and not sure if the driver for a similar but not identical motherboard will work or not. My motherboard is Asus M4A78 PLUS.
The driver I used from downloaded from a third party site. It's dated from 2011 so a bit old by now. Near as I can tell from some old notes about the issue, it was dated 2011-Jul-14, version 2.0.1.137. From what I read on AMD's site, it worked with quite a few chipsets. The readme.rtf file in the link below gives more information on what chipsets it works with.

ftp://abook.dk/ADesk%20Drivers/nt-a3550/AMD/USBFilter/

Good luck!

David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #20
ryuji35
Zealot
ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PPW5 Signature, Kobo Libra 2, Samsung Tab S6 Lite
Okay. will get ahold of a Mac with Calibre tomorrow. Lemme check first if it'll do something good. Thanks Guys, I will update you as soon as possible.
ryuji35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #21
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I will admit that for items like chipset drivers, I normally go with those available from the chipset manufacturer; so for the AMD 770 / SB770 I'd go to http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...d_windows.aspx
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #22
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The driver I used from downloaded from a third party site. It's dated from 2011 so a bit old by now. Near as I can tell from some old notes about the issue, it was dated 2011-Jul-14, version 2.0.1.137. From what I read on AMD's site, it worked with quite a few chipsets. The readme.rtf file in the link below gives more information on what chipsets it works with.

ftp://abook.dk/ADesk%20Drivers/nt-a3550/AMD/USBFilter/

Good luck!

David
Got those drivers installed, hopefully it will stop the errors communicating with the Glo.

It's odd that this never happens with the Sony 350s, only with the Glo.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #23
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Well the different drivers didn't help at all. Plugged in the Glo and went to remove a book, first thing I did once connected and got:

Quote:
calibre, version 0.9.38
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

unable to open database file

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 85, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 581, in _delete_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 453, in delete_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1851, in delete_via_sql
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 365, in delete_via_sql
OperationalError: unable to open database file
Old 07-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #24
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Have you tried to reboot your computer? It may sound silly but a reboot may solve your problem. I use debian linux on my computer and sometimes the operating system does not recognize the kobo. When this happens...calibre won't sync.
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #25
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Rebooting the PC doesn't change anything. The next time I restart Calibre and plug in the Glo, it may not happen even though I don't reset the device and start with a new database. I may be able to add a few books next time, and then if I want to add a few more or delete something within that same session, the error will then pop up.

Actually now that I think about it, doing multiple transfers or deletes during the same session will just about always trigger the error.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #26
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
That error is different. "OperationalError: unable to open database file" makes me think it is with the connection to the device. It sounds like it is being dropped or changed to readonly.

Something else to try is to see if Windows can still see the device and write to it between each calibre action. So, after calibre finishes its initial sync, check Windows can see it. Then try sending a book or deleting one and check again. And if you get an error like above, check again.

The other thing to try is another PC. Any chance of that?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:41 AM   #27
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
It sounds a bit similar to the problem I have with my Aura. It seems to drop off the USB bus randomly. It connects fine, Calibre sees it, and I can send books to it. And then when I try to send another, Calibre errors out with 'The system can't find the file specified'.

At that point Windows (XP Pro 32bit) has lost the drive as well; the drive letter is still there, but I can't do anything with it anymore. Ejecting the device and reconnecting it fixes it most of the time. For a while.

The funny thing is that it never, as yet, has damaged either the file system or the Kobo database (both chkdsk and the Kobo Utilities plugin give it a clean bill of health afterwards).

Changing the USB port or cable doesn't make a difference, and neither has a factory reset. I haven't tried another PC yet.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:11 AM   #28
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

I tried swapping a different cable (but I still want to dig out the one that came with the Kobo, and I can't find the box atm). I first tried to send a book to the reader to copy over the one there and got this message:
Quote:
calibre, version 0.9.38

(2, 'GetDiskFreeSpace', 'The system cannot find the file specified.')

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 557, in _upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1812, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 256, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 986, in _sanity_check
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 177, in free_space
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 134, in _windows_space
error: (2, 'GetDiskFreeSpace', 'The system cannot find the file specified.')
Then I tried to delete the book first from the Glo, and then got this error:
Quote:
calibre, version 0.9.38

unable to open database file

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 581, in _delete_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 453, in delete_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1851, in delete_via_sql
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 365, in delete_via_sql
OperationalError: unable to open database file
As mbovenka said, once the first error happens, then I can no longer access the files on the Glo through explorer. The drive letter for the Glo is still shown and usually all the directories, but they're all blank and you can't see any files in the directories.

I have another PC I can try it on (just give me a day or 2, need to update Calibre on that one), but I really don't think there will be any difference. In over 2.5 years I don't have any issues like this with the Sony 350s on this PC with the same USB cable and same versions of Calibre.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #29
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
As mbovenka said, once the first error happens, then I can no longer access the files on the Glo through explorer. The drive letter for the Glo is still shown and usually all the directories, but they're all blank and you can't see any files in the directories.
Yep, that error is the one I get. Looks like a Kobo firmware issue then, unless it's common hardware between the Glo and the Aura (USB controller?). Like you, I have had no issues with that PC and cable with other readers (2 Kindle DXes and a Bebook One) at all.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #30
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@Ripplinger and mbovenka: How big is the database file on the device? Similar reports in the past have suggested that writing small files to the device was OK. But, when larger files were changed, the connection drops. Unfortunately, the database tends to be the largest file on the device. And it can be updated when calibre first sees the device. Setting metadata management to manual on the Sending books to devices page of the preferences might solve this. But then shelves and series info won't get updated.

Also, from memory, the previous reports have always been XP machines. I don't know why. It could be older machines or less efficient drivers. Or maybe some weird interaction between the drivers and the device. But, I am also sure that moving to another PC fixed the problem. That is probably not a practical solution, unless you are looking for an excuse to upgrade
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote