Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Will you be upgrading to the Paperwhite II proposed below?
Yes. Upgrading from Paperwhite. 17 22.67%
Yes. Upgrading from and old reader, or different brand. 7 9.33%
No. Have Paperwhite already. Not enough improvement. 44 58.67%
No. I haven't got a PW, but will wait until my reader breaks. 7 9.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #16
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The Kobo Aura screen is closer to 7". If Amazon can squeeze that into the current KPW form factor, I'd be interested.

But otherwise it is difficult for me to imagine feeling a need to upgrade. Now if they come out with a Liquivista Kindle that might change my mind.

Most of my problems with Kindle have to do with software features I would like to see, not hardware.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #17
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I haven't voted as its a maybe from me, depends what I think when I see it, I don't NEED to upgrade but I may.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #18
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I haven't voted as its a maybe from me, depends what I think when I see it, I don't NEED to upgrade but I may.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #19
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by discopig View Post
Shouldn't we wait for the new kindle specs before having this kind of poll?

For all we know they might surprise us and re-add some features from kindle touch, although I doubt it.

One thing I can say is I am keeping my PW, as it does everything I need (and more).
Exactly what I'm thinking! We have no idea what any new Kindles might have as far as specs.

I damn sure won't pre-order any more Kindles with built in lighting. The PW was a big fail for me and after trying several replacements I sent them all back and kept my Touch. Any lighted model will have to prove itself before I will even consider ordering it. If I see trusted friends here sending back multiple replacements of any new model with lighted screen, like we did with the PW, then I will wait until the model is available in local stores so I can assess it in person.

I personally fear Amazon will not make any major improvements on eInk devices as they no longer have any major competitors in that market. I hope I'm wrong. But since an estimated 2/3 of all eBooks sold in the USA market are sold by Amazon, they can turn out lackluster eInk readers and get away with it. Sadly, I think Amazon will place more focus on new Fire models and less focus on eInk readers in the future.

And let us be honest, the major players have always turned out lackluster eInk readers. Not one eInk reader from Amazon, Sony, B&N, etc. ever really satisfied us. They never give us the formatting we have cried for for all these years. Instead they give us new hardware with a few improvements and usually with a few deletions from the previous model. (Like memory size, sound, etc.) I would be much happier to see firmware changes that bring real personalized formatting capabilities to existing models than I would for new lackluster hardware.

Last edited by jswinden; 06-30-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #20
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I'm still using a Kindle Keyboard that is 2 years old. Just got my daughter a Paperwhite for her birthday, and have to say, it has got me wanting a new device. Not sure if I should get one now or wait for the new model.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:14 PM   #21
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpider View Post
Yeah, well, if it does have a home button I will NOT be buying one. I really don't like home buttons and wish Apple would stop adding them (which they probably will, since iOS 6.x supports gestures for some time now). The LESS buttons there are, the better. Heck, why don't they make it completely water-proof/air-tight? No USB connection either; just Wifi, Bluetooth, email and a browser, and you'll never need a cable ever again (charging could be done with a wireless charging pad).

Less buttons = less chances for the buttons to WEAR OUT, accumulate dirt or lint, break out of their plastic casings, etc. I'm thinking of starting a buttonless campaign.
Agreed - The less buttons the better - I'd go for that if it included sync over wi-fi! But you'd have to be able to add your own content and not be limited to the Amazon store...
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:30 AM   #22
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I'm personally very happy with my PW, I also still have a Keyboard and a Touch, but I read on my PW 99% of the time. The Keyboard and Touch are more back ups than anything else.

I keep thinking I should get rid of the Touch but I just can't.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:51 AM   #23
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I haven't upgraded because I know I would really, really miss the page turn buttons and the ability to jump to next/last chapter.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #24
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpider View Post
Yeah, well, if it does have a home button I will NOT be buying one. I really don't like home buttons and wish Apple would stop adding them (which they probably will, since iOS 6.x supports gestures for some time now). The LESS buttons there are, the better. Heck, why don't they make it completely water-proof/air-tight? No USB connection either; just Wifi, Bluetooth, email and a browser, and you'll never need a cable ever again (charging could be done with a wireless charging pad).

Less buttons = less chances for the buttons to WEAR OUT, accumulate dirt or lint, break out of their plastic casings, etc. I'm thinking of starting a buttonless campaign.
My reason for wanting the home button back has to do with ease of use. Your objection appears to be directed only at physical buttons, because they may break, am I right? The current home button on the Paperwhite is, for me, more annoying than a breakable physical button -- which for the record, has not broken in all the years I have had it. (Everyone whose buttons have "WEAR OUT, accumulate dirt or lint, break out of their plastic casings, etc." please raise your hand, I'm guessing it is the minority.)

I am not sure we should be comparing Kindles to iPhones... and I would point out that Android also has buttons. But if Google took away the USB connection to their devices, I think a lot of people would be upset. No one cares about that for Apple, because THEY'VE NEVER GIVEN ONE TO BEGIN WITH. I think before you suggest such major changes to the future of handheld device development (purely for the sake of waterproofing, which shouldn't be your main focus, frankly,) you need to make sure you don't break all the current functionality.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #25
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
My reason for wanting the home button back has to do with ease of use. Your objection appears to be directed only at physical buttons, because they may break, am I right? The current home button on the Paperwhite is, for me, more annoying than a breakable physical button -- which for the record, has not broken in all the years I have had it. (Everyone whose buttons have "WEAR OUT, accumulate dirt or lint, break out of their plastic casings, etc." please raise your hand, I'm guessing it is the minority.)

I am not sure we should be comparing Kindles to iPhones... and I would point out that Android also has buttons. But if Google took away the USB connection to their devices, I think a lot of people would be upset. No one cares about that for Apple, because THEY'VE NEVER GIVEN ONE TO BEGIN WITH. I think before you suggest such major changes to the future of handheld device development (purely for the sake of waterproofing, which shouldn't be your main focus, frankly,) you need to make sure you don't break all the current functionality.
Yep, people would be upset about no USB connection. And charging while on the go would be a nightmare without a USB port. However, your second statement is false as you can definitely connect an iOS device to your PC/Mac with a USB cable. You won't see the file system though unless you buy a file explorer app for your computer that can work with the iOS file system, but it is certainly possible.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
And let us be honest, the major players have always turned out lackluster eInk readers. Not one eInk reader from Amazon, Sony, B&N, etc. ever really satisfied us.
Speak for yourself. I'm entirely satisfied with the PW.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #27
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool satisfied with the PW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #28
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Totally agree. In fact I've been happy with all my kindles in their respective eras.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #29
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
While the Paperwhite is good, I can readily point to any number of functions or features that other readers have. One major one would be all the font options the Kobo readers support. If they would fix their buggy firmware and stop wasting screen space by the square foot, I'd seriously consider one of their readers in the future.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #30
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
So you are honestly happy that the PW has such a few selectable fonts, few margin choices, few line spacing choices, and basically little control of the text? I seriously doubt it.