Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 02-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #451
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
I am taking a break from the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon (enjoyed the first one a lot) and I am now listening to The Magicians by Lev Grossman. At the moment, I am only about two hours in but I am enjoying it so far.

I am also listening to Cro-Magnon by Brian Fagan. One of my goals this year is to read/listen to more non-fiction, something I have neglected a bit last year. I used to enjoy reading popular science books a lot, and I think I might be getting into them again. My favorite subjects are natural history and astrophysics and I have some great-looking stuff on my TBR. Cro-Magnon is about the ascent of modern man and the decline of the Neanderthals. So far it is very good.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #452
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
Listening to "Cold City" by F. Paul Wilson. Early back story about Repairman Jack.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #453
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
The Good House, a novel by Ann Leary, brilliantly narrated by actress Mary Beth Hurt. It's a library download, but would have made a great use for an Audible credit otherwise!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:05 AM   #454
sgoldin
SF/Fantasy Author
sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
I recently finished The Galactic Gourmet by James White. It's one of his Sector General novels, and a perfectly fine example of that series. White's one of my favorite sf writers, and always gives you a great story.
sgoldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #455
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I am listening to this, and it's great. I'm really enjoying the story, and the narrator is one of the best I've ever listened to:

pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #456
sgoldin
SF/Fantasy Author
sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just finished James H. Schmitz's The Witches of Karres, which I remembered fondly from many years ago. It holds up very well, and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a light-hearted, exciting science fiction romp. Plenty of fun for all.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #457
DuaneAA
Connoisseur
DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Kindle Fire HDX
Wow. Where did you find an audiobook version of The Witches of Karres? It has been one of my favorite books since the 1970s and I reread it every few years. Mostly I get audiobooks from audible or from the Fort Worth library and neither of them have it. Does it have a decent narrator?

Okay, to give something back. It seems like I went through a long drought where I couldn't find any audiobooks that I liked well enough to stick with them to the end. But I have just finished two books in a row.

The one I just finished yesterday was Himmler's War by Robert Conroy. It is one of those 'what if' books. In this case the premise was - what if Hitler had died in an allied bombing in June 1944 and Himmler took charge and let the Generals fight the war as they saw fit without Hitler's 'Never retreat an inch' edict. I enjoyed it and found myself looking forward to my daily commute to listen to it.

The book before that was something completely different - Oh. My. Gods. by Tera Lynn Childs. The book had sat in my wishlist for a long time as I had earlier tried a novel about mermaids by this author, but it was so bad I couldn't listen to the whole thing. But for some reason this book worked a lot better. It is a young adult book about descendents of Greek Gods with powers going to a private school on a remote Greek Island. The premise was pretty lame, but the story and the narrator sucked me in. I will admit with written books my tastes run mostly to sci-fi, but I have found I generally prefer lighter books like things in the YA category for listening to in the car.

Duane
DuaneAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #458
sgoldin
SF/Fantasy Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneAA View Post
Wow. Where did you find an audiobook version of The Witches of Karres? It has been one of my favorite books since the 1970s and I reread it every few years. Mostly I get audiobooks from audible or from the Fort Worth library and neither of them have it. Does it have a decent narrator?Duane
You're right, it wasn't a commercial copy. Since my ophthalmologist has ruled me legally blind (less than 20/200 in each eye due to macular degeneration), I'm eligible to get audiobooks from the Braille Library, which does its own recordings. They have a vast collection, though their sf selection isn't quite as vast as I'd like. (Witches is their only Schmitz title, for instance.) They've got tons of mysteries and romances. But they do have a lot of stuff that isn't on the market commercially. And it's free for those who qualify, which is a definite plus!
Old 02-17-2013, 04:55 AM   #459
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Finished Cro-Magnon by Brian Fagan, narrated by James Langton. A very good popular science book dealing with the early history of mankind. While it is more about the history of modern man, it also dedicates some time to the Neanderthals. I really enjoyed it, and James Langton, to whom I had never listened before, was perfect for the material.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #460
DuaneAA
Connoisseur
DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Kindle Fire HDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldin View Post
You're right, it wasn't a commercial copy. Since my ophthalmologist has ruled me legally blind (less than 20/200 in each eye due to macular degeneration), I'm eligible to get audiobooks from the Braille Library, which does its own recordings. They have a vast collection, though their sf selection isn't quite as vast as I'd like. (Witches is their only Schmitz title, for instance.) They've got tons of mysteries and romances. But they do have a lot of stuff that isn't on the market commercially. And it's free for those who qualify, which is a definite plus!
Thanks for the info. I guess if my choice is to be legally blind or stick to reading the ebook version, I'll happily keep reading. I have noticed that audible.com has been adding a lot of older SF books recently, so perhaps they will eventually get to Witches and some of his other works.

Duane
DuaneAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #461
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrella View Post
Finished Cro-Magnon by Brian Fagan, narrated by James Langton. A very good popular science book dealing with the early history of mankind. While it is more about the history of modern man, it also dedicates some time to the Neanderthals. I really enjoyed it, and James Langton, to whom I had never listened before, was perfect for the material.
Ooooh. That would interest me. Have you listened to or read Before the Dawn, an engaging non-fiction about genetics and human history? I loved that one.

I'm listening to The Devil in Silver by Victor LaValle. It is a novel about a middle-aged, working-class guy from Brooklyn who gets committed to a mental institution. There may be something paranormal going on. Anyway, I'm really glad I chose this one to check out from the library!
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #462
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldin View Post

I am very grateful to have the blind talking library. But like you said, the scifi is lacking. Very few complete series, and way too much Star Trek and Star Wars. I am listening to a collection of Frederick Pohl's old short stories right now. It is very enjoyable, and I love the old classics. I think it is called "Platinum Pohl" or something like that.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #463
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Hi Covington Cat!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:15 PM   #464
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Hi, Dixie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Hi Covington Cat!
I hope you are doing okay. I'm still recovering from Mardi Gras.

Hey, does your public library have eAudiobooks? Mine does. They have a good many. I don't think they are too great on the Sci-Fi, though.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #465
sgoldin
SF/Fantasy Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I am very grateful to have the blind talking library. But like you said, the scifi is lacking. Very few complete series, and way too much Star Trek and Star Wars. I am listening to a collection of Frederick Pohl's old short stories right now. It is very enjoyable, and I love the old classics. I think it is called "Platinum Pohl" or something like that.
Hi, DixieGal. I'm still able to find some great stuff there. They seem to have all the Discworld books, and some good Jack McDevitt. I just started Greg Bear's Eternity (sequel to Eon). Have you discovered Jasper Fforde yet? Funniest stuff I've read since Pratchett.

Now if only they'd incorporate some of my books...

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations