Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
cbweb
cbweb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G
Kindle Touch won´t jailbreak, keeps reviving deleted data

I hope the gurus in this board have an idea whether my Kindle Touch is somehow posessed by Gremlins or just very creatively broken.

Hardware: Kindle Touch 3G (special offers) Firmware 5.1.2

Today I received a replacement unit for said Kindle, becaus eit kept developing problems in relation to going online etc. so Amazon kindly sent a replacement unit and told me to scrap this one. I figured, since it´s bound for the scrap heap anyway, I might as well use it to try out the jailobreak and some modifications, using it just offline (since Amazon deactivated and blocked the unit, of course).

I followed the instructions in the Wiki, both the simple method and the universal method. In both instances, noting happend when I restarted the device, other than that
  1. it restarted (and without going into diagnostic mode in case of the universal method)
  2. suddenly it showed my name again and the documents I had previously deleted from the homescreen were back

I deactivated my account again, deleted all the documents from the homescreen till it was empty save for the dictionaries. Tried the universal method again, deleted the two Calibre metafiles from the root that had suddenly re-appeared as well, restarted and again, there was the device registered to my account again and the previously deleted documents were back as were the two calibre metafiles deleted previously via Windows File Explorer.

It completely blows me how a deregistered device can suddenly have my account data back on it and how the deleted documents suddenly become undead and re-appear.
  1. Would anyone have an idea how I could proceed to try the jailbreak?
  2. Would anyone have an idea how I can safely and permanently delete my account data and all information from the device without it coming back after a restart? Maybe to use as a offline-only backup reader?

Thanks for any helpful hints,

Chris
cbweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbweb View Post
I hope the gurus in this board have an idea whether my Kindle Touch is somehow posessed by Gremlins or just very creatively broken.

Hardware: Kindle Touch 3G (special offers) Firmware 5.1.2

Today I received a replacement unit for said Kindle, becaus eit kept developing problems in relation to going online etc. so Amazon kindly sent a replacement unit and told me to scrap this one. I figured, since it´s bound for the scrap heap anyway, I might as well use it to try out the jailobreak and some modifications, using it just offline (since Amazon deactivated and blocked the unit, of course).

I followed the instructions in the Wiki, both the simple method and the universal method. In both instances, noting happend when I restarted the device, other than that
  1. it restarted (and without going into diagnostic mode in case of the universal method)
  2. suddenly it showed my name again and the documents I had previously deleted from the homescreen were back

I deactivated my account again, deleted all the documents from the homescreen till it was empty save for the dictionaries. Tried the universal method again, deleted the two Calibre metafiles from the root that had suddenly re-appeared as well, restarted and again, there was the device registered to my account again and the previously deleted documents were back as were the two calibre metafiles deleted previously via Windows File Explorer.

It completely blows me how a deregistered device can suddenly have my account data back on it and how the deleted documents suddenly become undead and re-appear.
  1. Would anyone have an idea how I could proceed to try the jailbreak?
  2. Would anyone have an idea how I can safely and permanently delete my account data and all information from the device without it coming back after a restart? Maybe to use as a offline-only backup reader?

Thanks for any helpful hints,

Chris
The "Jailbreak" is unlikely to affect that behavior.

Try a full re-boot rather than just a re-start.

Still have problems? Try the more recent 5.3.2 firmware just released for the Kindle Touch.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
cbweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The "Jailbreak" is unlikely to affect that behavior.

Try a full re-boot rather than just a re-start.
You mean the one from the menu (don´t know the english name of the menu entry, but tried that already, same behavour. My data was still teher even though the warning said all data would be deleted) or the "holding down the powerbutton for 20 seconds" version?

Quote:
Still have problems? Try the more recent 5.3.2 firmware just released for the Kindle Touch.
According to the Wiki, the Jailbreak is only for firmwares up to 5.2.* ?
Old 01-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
It seems that either both your kindles are registered, or perhaps they both have the same serial number and mac address (which could be a problem).

The "revived data" would be synced from your amazon account.

Login to amazon and see if your account still has both kindles on it...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
cbweb

Wireless was turned off when I did the re-start, so it couldn´t really have synched the info from Amazon.
In the account, only the replacement device is registered (and Amazon blocked the old one).

Last edited by cbweb; 01-09-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #6
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Wireless was turned off when I did the re-start, so it couldn´t really have synched the infor from Amazon.
So are you really sure that you deleted that stuff in the first place? It seems unlikely that it would automatically undelete itself, with no wifi...
Old 01-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
cbweb

Yes, positive. As I wrote, the homescreen was empty save for the two dictionaries.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #8
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
You never stated that you actually went through the normal procedure to deregister your Kindle - did you? To get there, use the "Menu > Settings" command, then press the "Registration" (or something to that effect) entry. The Kindle should present you with a dialog box stating something similar to "If you deregister, you won't be able to do this and that. But you can still register again. Are you sure?"

The more radical approach is the "reset to defaults" (or so) entry in the settings menu.

Please post what *exactly* you did.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #9
cbweb

Well, if I posted what I did *exactly*, that would be in German. Would that be more helpful than saying I originally de-activated the Kindle through the Kindle Devices overview on amazon.de, then when after bo re-start and reset the files and registration suddenly were back, I de-activated it again through the Kindle's settings dialogue?

The two-restart options are called "Neustart" and "Gerät zurücksetzen" in German (the latter being the one that warns you all your stored books and registration data would be deleted off the device) and I used both trying to clear the device.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #10
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you tried both of these options, and your device is still behaving in weird ways, then I don't know. Either send it back to Amazon (if you know that you did "nothing wrong"), or try to apply the standard debrick procedure that you can find in this forum.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #11
cbweb

Since Amazon told me I could scrap the unit and didn´t have to send it back in return for the replacement, I guess there´s no harm in giving the debricking a shot.
Will give it a try when I have some time on my hand.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #12
cbweb

Wow, shoot, debricking also requires Jailbreak, so I´m in a Catch-22 scenario? BTW I even filmed (with my webcam) how the books and registration were suddenly back after the "Gerät zurücksetzen".
Nur falls Du es nicht glaubst
Old 01-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #13
geekmaster

Quote:
Wow, shoot, debricking also requires Jailbreak, so I´m in a Catch-22 scenario? BTW I even filmed (with my webcam) how the books and registration were suddenly back after the "Gerät zurücksetzen".
Nur falls Du es nicht glaubst
Where in the simple debricking guide does it say that you can only debrick a jailbroken kindle? What gave you the idea to jump to that conclusion? However, it is (luckily) not true. Go read the debricking sticky thread again...

Now, if it had been a PW instead of a K5, that would be a problem. But for your K5, no problem.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-10-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:48 AM   #14
cbweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Where in the simple debricking guide does it say that you can only debrick a jailbroken kindle? What gave you the idea to jump to that conclusion? However, it is (luckily) not true. Go read the debricking sticky thread again...
In the README to ixtab´s debricking package, that I was pointed to via PM and which is also referenced here, from the debricking guide, it says (my emphasis added)
Quote:
THE EASIEST WAY TO USE THESE FILES
==================================

1. While your Kindle is *STILL WORKING*, make sure that you install the diags partition
with SSH. This is as simple as installing the jailbreak, then installing the update_*.bin
package mentioned above (using the Settings -> Update your Kindle menu entry).
Old 01-11-2013, 04:43 AM   #15
ixtab
(offline)

Yes. This is the easiest way, but not the only one. Read the debricking guide.