Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 09-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
jcromero
jcromero began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Backup/Restore with Linux (rupor-rescue.7z)

Hello.

I'm new to mobileread and new to e-book devices. I have got a Sony PRS-T1 some weeks ago, and I would like to root my device. I would like to do a backup prior to rooting. I have read the "rupor procedure" at this link.

I don't use any Windows machine, so I would like to know if there's some document that describes the backup/restore procedure using rupor rescue from a linux machine. I think I understand how to boot in "recovery mode" using an SD card and pressing HOME and MENU buttons. I can use minicom to access my T1, but how can I proceed to backup my device from a Linux machine (no win32diskimager or Roadkil's Disk Image applications)? And how can I restore the backup from the same linux machine?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jcromero; 09-20-2012 at 05:51 PM.
jcromero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:33 AM   #2
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
Linux also has GUI tools like gparted..., you just need the device node of the serial gadget drive...

You might also want to read https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=166789

But beware - we haven't found a way to restore the whole flash memory - if you damage the first sectors or the first partitions, you're lost.
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:41 AM   #3
jcromero

I don't need any GUI tool. CLI tools are fine for me.

I don't understand the sentence: "we haven't found a way to restore the whole flash memory". If that is the case, why the Windows applications (win32diskimager or Roadkil's Disk Image) let you restore a backup?. Or is that restore a non-whole restore?

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:14 AM   #4
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

you can backup everything, but in order to restore a partition, you have to enter recovery mode and access the reader via serial gadget connection. but this is impossible with a damaged boot manager / initrd / kernel

So, I would not only backup the whole flash disk, but each partition seperately because in case of a messed up device, you will more likely want to restore system or data partition

the thread I linked contains a list which explains the purpose of each partition (post #3)

there you'll also find a command line tool you can use: dd

but beware - dd can easily brick your reader without warning...

gparted also has a cli frontend btw...
Old 09-21-2012, 05:25 AM   #5
jcromero

But the windows applications I mentioned before do a full backup/restore?

By the way, if I root my device, what partitions are been modified? Restoring only the modified partitions I would not lose my garanty?
Old 09-21-2012, 07:58 AM   #6
uboot
Evangelist

restore restrictions apply to all operating systems / partitioning tools.

rooting modifies system partition, data partition, boot loader and recovery image, but there are packages that undo all of these changes. so in general you should not have to restore any partition manually, except if you try something like repartitioning...

btw - as you are from Spain - there is a very active spanish community around the prs-t1! if google doesn't point you to the website, ask j0534ng31: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/member.php?u=149726
Old 09-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
jcromero

I have read there are packages that undo rooting. I have read they apply as a rooting package. So rooting and un-rooting follow a similar procedure. But I don't understand then if I should do a backup prior to rooting (using the rupor's method I was talking about in my first post). I could avoid backup if there is an un-rooting procedure. Am I missing anything?
Old 09-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #8
uboot
Evangelist

you're right - rooting and unrooting are similar - it is basically the same procedure as installing an official firmware update.

the backup procedure is just another way to ensure that rooting / mods can be undone.

unrooting restores everything to stock. if you installed enableadb package or apps2sd package, you'll have to install the related uninstallpackage, too.

finally, I'd do a factory reset which wipes data and reader partition.

now your reader should be 100% stock, provided that you didn't alter partition table or touch other partitions than data, reader and system partition...
Old 09-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #9
jcromero

Final question (I hope): Is an unrooted device (previously rooted) undistinguishable from an no rooted one (never rooted)? If they are distinguishable, how does this affect to Sony guaranty?
Old 09-22-2012, 03:13 AM   #10
uboot
Evangelist

This cannot be generally answered. It depends on what changes have been made when rooted.

If you just rooted the device and installed some apps, but did not modify font, preload or dictionary partition, you should be able to unroot without trace via restoration of the system partition, boot loader, recovery partition and a factory reset.

If the device is obviously rooted, Sony will deny guaranty. If there are some hidden traces, they have to examine the device thoroughly, which I doubt they'll do.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #11
e-ink
partly refreshed
e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: It's a Sony :P prs-t1
Quote:
Originally Posted by uboot View Post
rooting modifies... boot loader...
Indeed? Do you know what changes are made? Is there any documentation about it?
I was thinking about setting up a dual boot environment, but playing with uboot looks very dangerous
e-ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #12
uboot
Evangelist

bootloader is modified by enable_adb package: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=27

you'd better ask porkupan for details...
Old 09-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #13
jcromero

I have applied rupor's rooting procedure. Is it suppose the rooting does only what do_update.sh script does? If that is the case, I see (reading that script) that the only partitions touched are data and system partition (and minimally SETTING partition). Can I suppose boot loader and recovery partition are untouched in that particular case?

Last edited by jcromero; 09-23-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:17 AM   #14
uboot
Evangelist

that's right! boot loader and recovery are touched by enableadb package and also by some sony firmware updates.