Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #76
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
  1. I didn't write any review as I clearly stated. If you think that one cannot make any idea of e-eink devices by seeing pics and reading reports, I don't understand -for example-: why did you spend your time for taking a lot of pictures of it? I compare what I see and read with my experience and knowledge about readers, which MAY be deeper than yours.
  2. You may want to answer to these owners', then:

And there's this question unanswered:

Oh yes, I will spend 500 dollars to test a unit that 99,9% I'd return. Sharing knowledge and discuss information is what forums are about. If you are not ok with this, it's your problem.
Hence, all these people have the device and can actually write something useful about it.

You just reiterate and put things in a negative light. Shame, shame, shame...

And no need to act like you know more about the device just be reading about it rather than using it, you're just pushing the 'price of everything, value of nothing' idea. Booooooo
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #77
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I'm very sorry to disapoint you, but NEARLY ALL ereaders have NO annotation!
My gosh.
There are two type of annotations: the ones you make with a stylus or a touch, and the ones you make with keyboard or phisical buttons. The name is universally the same. Nearly ALL ereaders HAVE annotations.

Quote:
Those 2 and the kindle DX are basically the only ones on the market; the other ones you got to do a hel of a lot of effort to get your hands on one.
US is not the world. The fact that on your market you can't easily find some devices, it does not mean it's the same in the rest of the world. Plus, Ectaco is nearly unkown in Europe.

Quote:
SDK
You better try to learn what an SDK is, and what you can do with it. there's no need to be a programmer to do it.

Quote:
Believe it or not, but Ectaco is still leading the pack of ebook readers!
Not only with their multi format compatibility, and color e-ink, but also with an sd card reader, high resolution display, fast Cortex A8 processor (it's about 4x faster than most ebook readers); TTS, dictionary, and perhaps in the future wifi and a browser.

Those are all feats, that combined you won't find in any other device on the market out there!
In fact,most ebook readers have one (like a large display), but not the other (no compatibility with the wide variety of file formats).
Or can read multiple file formats, but have a small screen...
These are mere daydreams. Facts, objective facts, are different. Poor color and speech recognition are the only unique feature, at present.

On every other feature, the device performs under the average. Software-wise, reality is clear: the device was not ready for the market, we're saying AT PRESENT it's not worth 500 bucks, but in future, it may even be: so let's talk again about this when the first solid updates will be ready, improvements then could be very noticeable.

But heck no: in every post you feel this foolish urge to deny reality. Dont' you see you're making a bad service to 'your' eBook reader? I don't care if there's your cousin working there, or you just like being a troll: reality doesn't change.

Unfortunately (because I'd like having colours too) the screen's awful (with indoor standard lighting) readibility cannot be improved, and being this a reader, it's a major fail in the main purpose: reading. We know, you got eagle eyes so you can read it even by night, but FACT is that standard Pearl screens outperform Triton BY FAR, and this is a matter of hardware.

Personally I hope for the current owners that updates will be so good that the device don't dies in 4 months but will have a nice future.

Now ProDigit, can we please avoid starting over again repeating the same things? I won't comment on you anymore, let's just wait some more reviews from owners.

Last edited by lorenzoens; 02-28-2012 at 11:13 PM.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #78
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuBiB View Post
Hence, all these people have the device and can actually write something useful about it.
Yeah, answer to their observations, instead of skipping them again. And don't forget Dulin's first report.

Last edited by lorenzoens; 02-28-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:47 AM   #79
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Yeah, answer to their observations, instead of skipping them again. And don't forget Dulin's first report.
You sound like a troll
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:58 AM   #80
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Jetbook Color, OnyxM92, PB903/912 - are people actually reading on these devices?
Judging from all the discusions, posters seem to engage mainly in using miroscopes to check the display, making endless suggestion to improve the software, fiddling around to find out how to operate the devices.
Despite of all this, people can't seem to wait to get their hands on these experimental devices - and as a conseqence fiercely defending their purchases.
Are these products for customers or, I beg for forgiveness: NERDS?

Last edited by Beryll Snyder; 02-29-2012 at 03:59 AM. Reason: spelling error
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:19 AM   #81
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
Jetbook Color, OnyxM92, PB903/912 - are people actually reading on these devices?
Judging from all the discusions, posters seem to engage mainly in using miroscopes to check the display, making endless suggestion to improve the software, fiddling around to find out how to operate the devices.
Despite of all this, people can't seem to wait to get their hands on these experimental devices - and as a conseqence fiercely defending their purchases.
Yes to the nerd charge, and yes to the fiddling with a microscope, but yes I'm also reading comics on mine. Despite the lowish contrast screen and poor lighting in my house it's definitely good for colour or greyscale comics.

By the way, who is fiercely defending their purchase? Maybe LuBiB and ProDigit, but I don't think the latter has actually got one yet...

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:25 AM   #82
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
i use my M90 to read all the time(in fact I just recharged it today) and despite the bad press it received I am quite fond of reading on it. i even use the optical mouse/button for page turning

i am in the middle of reading some stories in epub format using the Jetbook. as I mentioned in my earlier post its okay to read on even if the background is gray but it doesnt have the options id like and the dang page numbers get in the way. I couldnt see paying this much for just reading epubs.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:17 AM   #83
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
It's not that I'm 'defending' anything!
I merely think a good review is balanced, to the point, and bringing weaknesses to the surface for intellectual purposes, not for bashing the device nor users.

When I get the impression that either good devices are bashed without good and thorough and sound reason, I will not accept that!
For not any device out there!
Just like I will not stand anyone speaking bad of someone else behind their back!

I'm the type of person who would defend the party that's not there;and that's perhaps what you perceive! I'm not like most people, agreeing. I just think this mentality is plainly wrong, and thus don't agree with it!

The moment you can come up with a good and valid point, and can bring it in a mature way into the debate, it WILL be heard, discussed, and opinionated by all!
Meaning, if it really turns out it has some issues, it will benefit the user to know them.

But plainly calling something a lousy and bad device is an invalid argument!

And in truth, I personally do not wish to go over the same old details again!
Seemingly some of you disagree with some things in the device. There's a majority who disagree with you on many issues, but some of you haven't even looked once at what the device DOES excel into!

Almost as if your 'hatred for' or 'dislike of' the reader blinded you from seeing anything else!

Have you not noticed anything good about this device?

Unfortunately, The day you become overly good about some device, you may find me disagreeing with you again!

I believe in a 'golden middle-way',following a road neither falling in the ditch left nor right; meaning being neither too overly positive, nor too overly negative.

But the best I can describe the situation is, that the Jetbook Color is tipped in favor on my balance, on yours perhaps in disfavor.

But unless you are prejudged against a certain device for personal reasons,I see no reason to bash the jetbook at all.
Doing so, will probably turn many people's attention away from the conversation; and you'll not reach anything by that anyway.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:38 AM   #84
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad, PRS-T3, Kobo GLO HD, Paperwhite 2, PB Ultra, Ony Boox Max
Quote:
well, like lorenzoens I have no JBC yet.
Though considering the reviews and the "Mirasol VS Triton" video Jetbook Color give me an experience as paper. Maybe the colors look a bit pale, but I see many newspaper, magazine and even books with the same quality and even I appreciate these.

Also, basing on my personal eink's experience, I think photo and video can't reproduce the felling a device based on reflected light can give you in real life.
I hope more devices like JBC will be in common shops or big bookstore so people can see from live the triton's performance.

Lastly I know people like Andyh2000 or ebookLuke are a valuable resource for who (like me) is just curious. Want to know how a technology works is a "nerd" matter? There is no traslation in my language for this word but if be "nerd" means to deepen the things around you, then the traslation should be "intelligente" ("clever" in english)
mod186k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:42 AM   #85
lorenzoens
ex se ens

Since I AM an early adopter, I like to understand whether a product is ready or not to be bought, if it will likely have a nice future of development or not.

So I collect, discuss and share information, so that my money (and maybe the ones of some other reader) go to the companies which deserve them more for proving they do a good job.

People have different needs and judgement methods, but there are some data where they can inter-subjectively (objectively) agree. If one pretends they do not exist, he better leaves the discussion.

An example? For me readibility on a sipix screen (I had it) is unusable for long reading sessions, but someone disagrees. It's fine like this. What it's not fine, is if he pretends that a Sipix is no less good than a Pearl screen. This would be plain bullshit, against objectivity

Plus, if someone denies the value of sharing information for the metaphisical assumption that "you MUST try it personally before you judge", he better not use the internet and forums, he better does not study anything, he better does not use any language to communicate his thoughts. But then he'd be no sapiens sapiens anymore. You just have to discriminate from knowledge and doxa. It's not easy but it's possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod186k1 View Post
Also, basing on my personal eink's experience, I think photo and video can't reproduce the felling a device based on reflected light can give you in real life.
I agree if you're talking about a couple, or even ten pics, made by the same person with the same lighting and camera. But after you've seen a bunch of them, plus vids, and yourself did take pictures of other readers that you know/own personally (so you know how they render), then yes: you can have a good idea of how the screen will perform on readibility. You can agree not with me, it's fine. Until you don't say this Triton is no less good than a Pearl on readibility. There are 3 owners of JBC who report they're very far. Some of the others just don't have any Pearl to compare with.

Other comparations can be easily done about performances, with objectivity. But as we said, software-wise we must wait for updates. UNTIL then, this device -by my opinion- is not worth it's price.

If these colours are a must for you, then it may be worth it nonetheless. But for the vast majority of people, a device like Boox M92 wins hands down.
Note that I would not buy this either 'til I haven't seen it completely ready, since what happened to previous 9,7" models (1 year ago I would have bought a M90, luckily I didn't). Early adopter is not necessarily a spendthrift. I also consider a steal the 379 dollars for the Kindle DX, since it's limited capabilities on pdf. It's not that JBC is the new evil.

Last edited by lorenzoens; 02-29-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:09 AM   #86
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

SiPiX has some advantages and eink also has its own. You cannot simply say eink always is the best. Often there is no technology better than other in all fields and situations.
Same consideration is for Triton and Mirasol.
I tried say it to you before but maybe one day you will discover it by yourself :-)

Edit: I also collect, discuss and share information etc. etc. etc.
You are not alone :-P

Last edited by mod186k1; 02-29-2012 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:34 AM   #87
lorenzoens
ex se ens

Never seen a good implementation of a Sipix in my life (I've tried 3 of them, and owned one), readibility-wise. Intense gray always ruined the sharper edges of the letters, and black isn't intense enough.

On the opposite, pearl displays are the only ones that I can read with the light of the bedroom.

Only outdoors, I appreciate some Sipix, when the sunlight is strong their intense gray background can be good for eyes. Even Tritons will perform nicely in similar conditions.
But usually I don't read in outdoors, especially 9,7" devices.

Last edited by lorenzoens; 02-29-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #88
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
You do know the answer.
You know that I use M92 pretty much
How else could I discover the bugs that I posted.
Are they for nerds??? Yes they are.
Common people read on 6" ... they would be happy just with reading no highlighting no annotations... don't need PDFs CHM or good knows wht other format. They would need color instead :-) but they won't spend 500$ for it.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:07 AM   #89
mod186k1
Addict

Quote:
...I can read with the light of the bedroom.
I planned some test about this point. See you when I'll be ready with the review I promised you...
Old 02-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #90
lorenzoens
ex se ens

Here's what I mean by "SiPix is heavy on eyes" for indoor reading:

This was a standard 60W bulb right over my head.
-
With bedlight, my eyes tell me it's unreadable for more than 10-15 minutes:

At present I think the background is as dark as the Triton. Luckily, Triton has got far more intense black than this.

Same 60W bulb as lighting, on the PE's Vizplex: the result is clearly more readable than the SiPix. Note that in the reader I'm zooming (reflowing) the text column I'm touching from the tablet side.

Not the same bulb, but this shows the comparison between Pearl & Vizplex. Pearl has more intense black, and a a bit lighter background.

Note the shameful lacking of reflow in DXG

Last edited by lorenzoens; 02-29-2012 at 09:31 AM.