Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 07-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Book Club Selections List

This is a list of all the books read as part of the Mobileread Book Club so far, with links to the discussions. (Someone asked if we had a list, and we didn't, so I put one together.) I like the idea of "we don't have to stop discussing it when the month is over," but once the thread falls off the first page, it's hard to find again. This should make it easier to pick up the discussions later.

Categories are chosen by a combination of discussion and votes in the Book Clubs forum.

November: Fiction A Passage to India by E.M. Forster
December: MR Classic Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle

January: Science Fiction The Time Traders by Andre Norton
February: MR Contemporary Refuge by Richard Herley
March: Nonfiction Professor and the Mad Man by Whincester Simon
April: MR Author Neptune Crossing by Jeffrey A. Carver
May: Horror Dracula by Bram Stoker
June: MR Classic King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard
July: Humor Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome
August: Contemporary Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell
September: Mystery The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie
October: MR Author Flashforward by Robert J. Sawyer, Also: Verdant Skies by Steve Jordan
November: Classic The Trial by Frans Kafka
December: 2nd Chance: Runners-up Murder Must Advertise by Dorothy Sayers

January: Science Fiction The Machine Stops by E.M. Forster
February: Romance Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
March: Nonfiction (tie) The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson and Stiff by Mary Roach
April: Humor The Egg and I by Betty MacDonald
May: Classic The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne
June: Thriller/Suspense The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan
July: Fantasy (trees/magic) Sheepfarmer's Daugher by Elizabeth Moon
August: Free For All The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler
September: Mystery/Crime Killing Floor by Lee Child
October: Horror Risen by Jan Strnad
November: Science Fiction Old Man's War by John Scalzi
December: Classic The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

January: 2nd Chance: Runners-up The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
February: Romance A Room With A View by E.M. Forster
March: Nonfiction The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin by Benjamin Franklin
April: Humor Hal Spacejock 01 by Simon Haynes
May: Classic Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
June: Thriller/Suspense Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett
July: Fantasy (trees/magic) The Name of the Wind: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day One by Patrick Rothfuss
August: Free For All Slaughterhouse Five by Kurk Vonnegut
September: Mystery/Crime The Chinese Maze Murders by Robert van Gulik
October: Horror The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells
November: Science Fiction A Canticle For Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller
December: Classic A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

January*: Runner Up Black Rain by Masuji Ibuse
February: Romance Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald
March: Thriller/Suspense Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane
April*: Humour The Princess Bride by William Goldman
May: Fantasy Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
June: Classic Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott
July: Mystery/Crime Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters
August*: Free For All The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
September: Nonfiction A Thousand Miles Up the Nile by Amelia Edwards
October: Horror Carmilla by J. Sheridan LeFanu
November: Science Fiction Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
December*: Classic Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton

* The voting this month was visible.

January: Second Chance - Persuasion by Jane Austen
February: Romance - A Town Like Alice by Neville Shute
March: Travel/Adventure - Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne
April: Classics - A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
May: Mystery/Thriller - The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler
June: Award Winners - The Swerve: How the World Became Modern by Stephen Greenblatt
July: Non-fiction Fanny and Stella by Neil McKenna
August: Science Fiction Doomsday Book by Connie Willis
September: Banned/Challenged Books The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie
October: Patricia Clark Memorial Library Dr. Izard by Anna Katherine Green
November: Foreign (originally non-English) The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
December: Short Stories Dubliners by James Joyce

2014 (all voting visible)
January: 2nd Chance: Runners-up All Quite on the Western Front by Erich Maria Rema
February: Romance Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
March: Travel/Adventure On the Trail of Genghis Khan by Tim Cope
April: Classics The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
May: Mystery/Thriller The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith
June: Award Winners
July: Non-fiction
August: Science Fiction
September: Banned/Challenged Books
October: Patricia Clark Memorial Library
November: Foreign (originally non-English)
December: Short Stories

Last edited by Elfwreck; 05-29-2014 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Catch up.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Thank you for putting the work into making this list! This is a great resource.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Adding my thanks. This is terrific.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:15 PM   #4
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I will bookmark this post!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Adding great thanks. This is very interesting and I am sorry I was not around for a number of these. Maybe this could be moved up to the sticky section?
Old 07-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Adding great thanks. This is very interesting and I am sorry I was not around for a number of these. Maybe this could be moved up to the sticky section?
Great suggestion Hamlet!
Old 07-26-2011, 11:42 PM   #7
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Karma to you!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Groovy.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:03 AM   #9
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I'm not much of a participant , but I love to read the book club discussions. (One day I'll read and post, but so far I've just been reading the threads without reading the book, or I've read the book so long before that I don't remember the details.) Thanks for posting the titles and links!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #10
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vavapne View Post
I am reading "Sven the zombie slayer' by Guy James, and I enjoy it a lot.
Nominations for October's book won't be open for a while, and it'll get its own thread, like the September nominations thread. (Just letting you know that leaving a note here won't count toward the official selection process; this is just a list of past nominations & vote-winners.)
Old 09-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #11
nook2
nook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Does subscribing to this thread update me to your newly selected titles for future months?

I'll keep an eye on the selected books and if one catches my eye I'll join in that month. How do we start our own book clubs here?
nook2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:40 PM   #12
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nook2 View Post
Does subscribing to this thread update me to your newly selected titles for future months?
Not yet? Subscribing to a thread doesn't get you notified when the original post is edited. I could, however, post a reply when I update, which would let people know there's a new book listed. (That's a good idea, actually; I think I'll do that. Probably not for the voting thread, but once the discussion's actually started, I can add a comment so people who've subscribed to this list know when something new is up.)

Quote:
I'll keep an eye on the selected books and if one catches my eye I'll join in that month. How do we start our own book clubs here?
You make a post that says "New Book Club: [topic]," and if people think it's interesting, they reply and start talking about those books. The only "officialness" to the MR "official" book club is that the mods move the threads to the sticky part of the forum during the month when they're happening, and they'd be happy to do that with pretty much any relevant thread.

They're not going to sticky everything, but another active book club shouldn't be a problem. If we get three dozen active book clubs? They'll make a new forum for book clubs.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #13
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
nice work!
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:44 PM   #14
Nyssa
Series Addict

There were two books up for discussion in October '09?
Old 10-24-2011, 10:24 AM   #15
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^As well as March 2010. There was a tie in the voting and they just went with both before they've tried to come up with an actual winner now.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote