Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
emt
Nameless Being

Unhappy ADE - Why Is Adobe So Messed Up?

I have reached my "limit" on authorizing readers due to some issues with ADE. After much research on the web, I see that Adobe is totally brain-dead on resetting/increasing activations irrespective of the cause.

Does anyone else have this issue?
Is anyone interested in petitioning Adobe?

If any Adobe people are reading this, do you realize that this type of behavior will just push people to strip the DRM or move to non-Adobe products (e.g., Kindle)
Old 01-17-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
According to the ADE FAQ's: "You can activate up to six computers and six devices. If you reach the limit, contact Customer Service to increase your allowable activations."

Before you go all "Online Petition" on their a$$... have you tried contacting customer service? Just a suggestion.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post
I have reached my "limit" on authorizing readers due to some issues with ADE. After much research on the web, I see that Adobe is totally brain-dead on resetting/increasing activations irrespective of the cause.

If any Adobe people are reading this, do you realize that this type of behavior will just push people to strip the DRM or move to non-Adobe products (e.g., Kindle)
Once again I'm reminded why I got a Kindle...
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
emt
Nameless Being

Have been trying CS for days - they're not home! Seriously, they have no idea how to increase/reset activations. One jerk told me to go to the support site and "submit a case" - yet on the site there's no way to do this. Another jerk told me to open a new account (while reminding me that my computer/current account would no longer be able to read my current books.

I believe that Adobe is brain-dead at the top - fortunately I'll bet that in less than 5 years they'll be irrelevant because both HTML5 and newer ebook reading systems will displace the older technology.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #5
LaurieGator
Crazy Cat Lady
LaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 2i, Nook Color (Rooted)
I only use ADE for borrowing library books. I use that POS software as little as possible. Hell, I already have to manually put the files into ADE, I am still trying to figure out what they are good for... I also only have 1 e-reader that reads e-pub files so I don't think I will be adding any extra devices in the near future, my Kindle 2i and Nook Color fit the bill very nicely :-)
LaurieGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:17 PM   #6
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
Once again I'm reminded why I got a Kindle...
Kindle DRM is even worse... Requires you to re download everything if you got a new reader.... And, there is that not so small problem with not being readable on an other e-reader that the kindle. When your kindle 1 dies, you'll be stick with losing all you book, or getting an other kindle... Too bad if you fell like changing.

It's not adobe you should petition at, it's the publishers insisting on crappy DRM !

Last edited by EowynCarter; 01-17-2011 at 02:21 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:24 PM   #7
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Perhaps a Sony user can answer this related question for me - Is the Sony Reader Library software just ADE with the Sony store attached to it? If so, does it pick up my existing Adobe authorization, or does it use the Sony account for authorization instead?

My "quest for full market access" is starting to look like a "quest to install as much software as possible".
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:40 PM   #8
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I've heard a few stories here and there on people having problems getting Adobe to reset their Device Count when they replace their digital readers.

Really - reason number 42 or whatever of why I blow away DRM within minutes of purchase. I'm just not willing to struggle with all that so I can access the books I own.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:43 PM   #9
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Really - reason number 42 or whatever of why I blow away DRM within minutes of purchase. I'm just not willing to struggle with all that so I can access the books I own
Ditto !

CWatkinsNash, i was surprised that the sony app would not ask my adobeId. But, I had no problem getting rid of the drm, hinting that the file was encrypted with the same key.

Beware, do NOT use the sony reader app to download books from shop other than sony's. Make sure to use ADE.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:52 PM   #10
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Ditto !

CWatkinsNash, i was surprised that the sony app would not ask my adobeId. But, I had no problem getting rid of the drm, hinting that the file was encrypted with the same key.

Beware, do NOT use the sony reader app to download books from shop other than sony's. Make sure to use ADE.
That's what I figured. I just installed it but made sure that ascm files opened externally still go to "vanilla" ADE because I use it for Harlequin books.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:58 PM   #11
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
That's what I figured. I just installed it but made sure that ascm files opened externally still go to "vanilla" ADE because I use it for Harlequin books.
You're welcome.
I realised the "no adobeID asked" after buying the book. So I held by breath until inept said "successfully decrypted". Never been so relived to see this message. Else, i would have been unable to read the books on my cybook.

With geo-restiction and drm, buying books can be such a pain !
Old 01-17-2011, 03:09 PM   #12
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Kindle DRM is even worse... Requires you to re download everything if you got a new reader.... And, there is that not so small problem with not being readable on an other e-reader that the kindle. When your kindle 1 dies, you'll be stick with losing all you book, or getting an other kindle... Too bad if you fell like changing.

It's not adobe you should petition at, it's the publishers insisting on crappy DRM !
Hmmmm.... I never keep all of my kindle books on my reader. I've got maybe 20 or so books on it. All the rest are in the Amazon cloud for me to get whenever I need to. Since you don't even own a Kindle, I can see how you can get confused.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:15 PM   #13
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
Hmmmm.... I never keep all of my kindle books on my reader. I've got maybe 20 or so books on it. All the rest are in the Amazon cloud for me to get whenever I need to. Since you don't even own a Kindle, I can see how you can get confused.
On the cloud. Exactly what I mean. You need to re-download. The only good place for my books is my own hard drive. And My e-reader's SD card.

Quote:
All the rest are in the Amazon cloud for me to get whenever I need to.
Until the day they aren't anymore. Or the publisher decided to put a geo-restiction on the book in the meantime, preventing you from re-downloading. That goes with the "un-drm" part. I'm not much for the "in the cloud" for stuff I paid for. Amazon sound like the safest option for this kind of things, but I wouldn’t trust even them.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 01-17-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:21 PM   #14
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
i agree its no the easiest to find

to open a web case go here http://www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions/ and click "submit a web case" on the right side

Under 'Get Support', in the 'Techinical Support' tab

For "Choose issue type" select "Using a product or service"

For "Choose product", first select "Additional Products"

Then select "Adobe Digital Editions"

they should fix you up in a day or two. if not start a thread in the help forums

http://forums.adobe.com/community/ad...gital_editions

Jim Lester should get you squared away

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 01-17-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #15
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader

Quote:
On the cloud. Exactly what I mean. You need to re-download. The only good place for my books is my own hard drive. And My e-reader's SD card.

Until the day they aren't anymore. Or the publisher decided to put a geo-restiction on the book in the meantime, preventing you from re-downloading. That goes with the "un-drm" part. I'm not much for the "in the cloud" for stuff I paid for. Amazon sound like the safest option for this kind of things, but I wouldn’t trust even them.
Actually, every single ebook I've ever bought is sitting right now in Calibre, sans drm, LOL.