Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-17-2017, 11:09 AM   #1
anjulis
anjulis began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Kobo Aura is frozen, reset button is broken

My Aura is frozen with "connected and charging" screen on. Reset button didn't work so I physically opened the reader and saw that the button is physically broken. I tried to disconnect battery (disconnected the small white rectangle with red and black wires going from the battery) and reconnected it. No effect. I expected the screen to go black without battery but the picture stayed on. Should it be like that?
What else I can do? Holding the light button and moving the power button doesn't work either - the light is either on of off but is never blinking even after a full minute.
anjulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:30 AM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Whatever is on an e-ink screen when it dies, will be there permanently.
Can't help with the rest.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2017, 11:31 AM   #3
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Is the LED flash when you reconnected the battery or turn the power switch for 30 sec twice, charge the devuce first for half an hour.
Post a pic of the screen.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:55 AM   #4
anjulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
Is the LED flash when you reconnected the battery or turn the power switch for 30 sec twice, charge the devuce first for half an hour.
Post a pic of the screen.
LED goes on for about 10 sec when I connect the external power cable, otherwise it is OFF, no matter what I press.

screen photo is attached. Charging it for over an hour, no effect
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo screen.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	155702  
Old 03-17-2017, 12:07 PM   #5
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't see any damage to screen.
One more test, reconnected the battery wait 20 sec until the LED stop flash, and check light button, if light is turn on/off the problem is with the screen.

Last edited by oren64; 03-17-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Advert
Old 03-17-2017, 12:24 PM   #6
anjulis

Quote:
I don't see any damage to screen.
One more test, reconnected the battery wait 20 sec until the LED stop flash, and check light button, if light is turn on/off the problem is with the screen.
disconnected from the wall
disconnected the battery
reconnected the battery, LED does not flash nor light
waited
pressing light button does not do anything, light is not on
Old 03-17-2017, 12:42 PM   #7
oren64
I need a chapter break

Check if you connected the the battery connector properly, it should work if it worked before.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:46 PM   #8
anjulis

Quote:
Check if you connected the the battery connector properly, it should work if it worked before.
There is only one way to connect the battery. It is snug in place. I took it out and back in several times. The LED doesn't come on. I am not sure if it should.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo bat.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	155707  
Old 03-17-2017, 01:54 PM   #9
oren64
I need a chapter break

It could be that the battery flat, charge it for two hours and try again, if LED come on and the light is turn on.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:13 PM   #10
anjulis

Quote:
It could be that the battery flat, charge it for two hours and try again, if LED come on and the light is turn on.
When should the LED be on? When it is charging? When it is being turned on?
I don't know what to expect
Old 03-17-2017, 02:26 PM   #11
oren64
I need a chapter break

After you charge the device fore few hours try to turn it on by power switch or reconnecting the USB cable.
The LED is come on when the device is boot up fore 5-10 sec.

When the last time you used the eReader?

Last edited by oren64; 03-17-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:33 PM   #12
anjulis

Quote:
After you charge the device fore few hours try to turn it on by power switch or reconnecting the USB cable.
The LED is come on when the device is boot up fore 5-10 sec.

When the last time you used the eReader?
I used it yesterday, the battery was not empty. Even on the frozen screen it is shown as not empty. I do not see any physical problems with the battery or wires.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:26 PM   #13
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Do you suppose the reset button is still pushed in (even though its' broken) and is still affecting the reader?
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:01 PM   #14
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Have you tried holding the power button ON for 20-30 seconds, then trying to power the device on? I wouldn't think it could be caught in a loop that disconnecting the battery wouldn't kill, but holding the power button for an extended period would normally kill any running processes so it's worth a shot.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:58 PM   #15
anjulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks View Post
Do you suppose the reset button is still pushed in (even though its' broken) and is still affecting the reader?
The reset button is completely fallen off, I don't see how it could be pushed. In its place I see three contacts. I tried to connect them to simulate the button push but no effect