Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-27-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
New Opus

Well, the new Opus arrived today - after being delayed a day in customs.

I chose the "orange" one. It looks more copper than orange. The finish is metallic-looking.

I backed it up, then copied over my current Opus eBooks. I deleted all the .bin and .thn files. I can say that the metadata bug has been fixed in this version. It seemed to have picked up all the metadata from my eBooks.

I don't notice any speed difference, though.
Both old and new report a ARM920T 400Mhz processor.

Boo reader: old = v 2.0 build 1094, new = v 2.0 build 1166
Adobe Reader Mobile: old = version 2.0 build 26696, new = v 9.1 build 28890

I attached a picture of the old next to the new one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0313.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	997.0 KB
ID:	52359  
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

The new Opus is currently powered off and charging. So I notice that Bookeen has added a "shutdown" page that displays when the device shuts off. It's kinda neat, showing off the fact that eInk doesn't need power to maintain the screen image.

The page says:
books in the palm of your hand
<the above line repeated in many different languages>

I am concerned about taking this on a plane, though, since something displaying on the screen may make the mental midgets "securing" the airport/airplane think that the device is still on.
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Nice color!
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:57 AM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
I am concerned about taking this on a plane, though, since something displaying on the screen may make the mental midgets "securing" the airport/airplane think that the device is still on.
You have to fully switch it off in that case.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:08 AM   #5
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
You have to fully switch it off in that case.
It is fully switched off.
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 04:12 AM   #6
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Ah, i though that this page was only for "sleep mode". That would be anoying (nice to be able to make a differance between "sleep mode" or "off" in one glance.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:00 AM   #7
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
It is fully switch off when it display a white screen. If not you are in the "instant read" as they called deepsleep
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:18 AM   #8
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
It is fully switch off when it display a white screen. If not you are in the "instant read" as they called deepsleep
OK. That would make sence. I hit the power button and it came right back up.

Which now begs the question of "how to I turn it completely off?" I see the option now to do the shutdown - which does shut it completely down, blanking the screen.

It would have been nice it they updated their documentation to show this

I'm assuming that the auto-power-off option puts the device in deep sleep instead of completely powering it off.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:39 AM   #9
Godzil
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

If I'm correct, there should either an option in the menu, or long press the power button
Old 05-28-2010, 06:02 AM   #10
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
If I'm correct, there should either an option in the menu, or long press the power button
Yes, the long press brings up a pop up asking if I want to do a shutdown.

And I verified that the auto-power off puts it into deep sleep mode.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:41 AM   #11
Godzil

You don't have a "shutdown" function into the menu ? (may be advanced, I can't remember) I pretty sure this was present on the Paris Bookfair version I saw.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:50 AM   #12
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
You don't have a "shutdown" function into the menu ? (may be advanced, I can't remember) I pretty sure this was present on the Paris Bookfair version I saw.
Yes, it's there. But I expected it to be fairly high up in the menus instead of inside the "Advanced..." options. Where they put it makes sence, but the whole on/off vs. deep sleep is sort of confusing - especially when there's nothing in their documentation about "deep sleep" or about the shutdown.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:53 AM   #13
rlauzon
Wizard

So, to power on, a quick press to the power button.

To go into deep sleep mode, hold the power button down for a moment (like you want to shut down the old Opus).

To completely shut down, hold the power button for a long press.
Or Menu, Advanced..., Shutdown.
In either case, a message box will pop up asking if you want it to really shut down.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:24 PM   #14
rlauzon
Wizard

I deleted a couple of eBooks on my new Opus. When I went to back it up this afternoon, I discovered that the residual files that the Opus creates (.thn, .bin, .dat) had also been deleted.

Another old bug fixed in the new firmware.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:18 AM   #15
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
new = v 2.0 build 1166
Interesting. My new one is build 1170...https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=554
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote