Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-10-2022, 03:45 PM   #1
yaygya
yaygya began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
What is your favourite Kindle software version this past decade?

I recently downgraded to 5.6.5 on my PW3 and I am loving the nostalgia. The Futura font, simpler icons, and drastically reduced advertising in the UI is just wonderful. Only thing I want from newer versions is the "quick controls panel" that's existed since 5.7.2, as having to go to Settings to toggle Airplane Mode can get real annoying. Same goes for battery percentage, which is nice to see when I'm not in KOReader.
Also, 5.13.7 and later, for all their faults, do have lock screen cover support, which is nice (I do know you can use the screensaver hack, but having the functionality included is nice).

So, what are your thoughts? What Kindle software versions do you like? Has there even been a good Kindle software version since 5.6.5?
yaygya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 10:53 AM   #2
innocenat
Zealot
innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PPW5, Quaderno A4, Supernote A6X, Leaf 2
I am probably the absolute minority, but I love 5.14.2/3. List view with cover is something I wanted for a long time. I also prefer the scrollbar. If only the home tab could be hidden it would be grand.
innocenat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2022, 10:06 AM   #3
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
I'm with innocenat. I love how 5.14.2 looks, bugs aside. I went from the Kindle 4 non-touch to the 10th gen, and I very much prefer the modern UI. I like when things look pretty.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 10:56 AM   #4
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
I like it when my Kindle has a collection sort that works correctly And zero "recommendation".

(or I liked it when I still had a functional Kindle I've sold my PW3 and then next day managed to brick / bootloop my jailbreak-ed PW5 )
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:01 PM   #5
yaygya

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocenat View Post
I am probably the absolute minority, but I love 5.14.2/3. List view with cover is something I wanted for a long time. I also prefer the scrollbar. If only the home tab could be hidden it would be grand.
I do admit that list view with a cover is a really nice thing to have. I'm using it in KOReader right now. I haven't used Amazon's version of it though (I jailbroke my Kindle which had been uncharged & on 5.13.7 for months).
Advert
Old 05-12-2022, 08:03 PM   #6
yaygya

Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
I'm with innocenat. I love how 5.14.2 looks, bugs aside. I went from the Kindle 4 non-touch to the 10th gen, and I very much prefer the modern UI. I like when things look pretty.
I like the 5.6.5 UI for that same reason. It has its own nice and minimal aesthetic.
I'm not sure whether I'm going to choose a Kindle as my next e-reader, while the PW5 is nice, the Kobo Libra 2 is enticing.
Old 05-21-2022, 09:02 PM   #7
Freshmaker
Bookworm
Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle PW5, PW4
I prefer bypassing the Kindle UI altogether and just using Koreader exclusively.
Freshmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 07:17 AM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Anything prior to the latest version, which is horrible, is fine for me. I hate it so much I’m about to put all my Amazon books on a Kobo.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 09:31 AM   #9
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I am no having any issues with the latest firmware, I have the PW5 and really enjoy it. I would say the best firmware for me is the one I am using at the time I am reading on my Kindle. You see I just want and use the very basic functions needed to read nothing less nothing more.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 05:59 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I would never go back to a previous version. There are too many features I like that I’d have to abandon as compared to features I might miss in the latest version (such as TTS, which is way in the rear view mirror at this point).

I do not have any real issue with the Home/Library changes, I don’t spend much time there and overall I think it is improvement.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 08:10 PM   #11
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Not crazy about the latest changes, but don't spend much time thinking about it. As long as I can read my books, I really don't care.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 10:18 AM   #12
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Im not sure the version but I liked the old one that had various classic author images as wallpapers.
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discussion, paperwhite, software, user interface