Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-20-2009, 09:50 AM   #1
duckbill
Enthusiast
duckbill began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Where is the stripping of DRM legal?

Background: When possible I prefer to buy titles in a format from which I can remove the DRM as I find the formatting very poor on a PRS-505. I then reformat and publish in LRF to retain full justification using the excellent Caibre.

I was wondering whether such a practice is legal in the UK, Germany and New Zealand (ie I am from the UK, posted in Germany and emigrating to NZ)?

I would not bother with the whole process if the 505 could display justified text in ePub files.

Last edited by duckbill; 04-20-2009 at 10:46 AM.
duckbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:44 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckbill View Post
Background: When possible I prefer to buy titles in a format from which I can remove the DRM as I find the formatting very poor on a PRS-505. I then reformat and publish in LRF to retain full justification using the excellent Caibre.

I was wondering whether such a practice is legal in the UK, Germany and New Zealand (ie I am from the UK, posted in Germany and emigrating to NZ)?

I would not bother with the whole process if the 505 could display justified text.
Stripping DRM is not legal in the UK. I do not know about NZ.

As for the 505 and justified text, BBeB (LRF/LRX) does display with justified text. It is currently ePub that does not. We need Sony & Adobe to update ADE to support justified text.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Stripping DRM is not legal in the UK.
But it's not a "crime", but merely a civil offence. The police wouldn't be interested in it - the copyright holder would have to personally sue you in a civil court, and, if you did it for personal use, it's difficult to see why they would wish to or what they would gain from doing so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
and, if you did it for personal use, it's difficult to see why they would wish to or what they would gain from doing so.
or how they would find out (being for personal use they would have no way of tracing you since they would never know about the files existence in the first place!)

I strip the DRM from everything I can, mainly so that I can move it between devices (as I am sure that I will be getting a new device at some point in the future!) and so that I can fix the formatting (only in a few cases have I really needed to - epub being the main one since some of the books I have had have a line which seems to get pushed off the page so I need to change the font size to see it!)

I do not share any of these books although I would possibly consider letting a friend/family have a copy if they so desired (not that any of my friends like gadgets enough to have a book reader!)
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Stripping DRM (for personal use only) may or may not be a crime (or a civil offense) in the US -- no one really knows. (And there you thought that certainty under the law was an important legal principle... HAH!)

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2009, 11:41 AM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The root of the thing is this: If you do it, don't tell the world via the WWW.

Some things are better left unsaid. I'm just saying.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:59 PM   #7
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Stripping DRM (for personal use only) may or may not be a crime (or a civil offense) in the US -- no one really knows. (And there you thought that certainty under the law was an important legal principle... HAH!)

Xenophon
That's true (or not), but I'm pretty sure that the contents of my eReader are protected under the Fifth Amendment. Unless I sell said DRM stripped copyrighted works for profit nobody’s going to bust me over it!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:37 PM   #8
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
That's true (or not), but I'm pretty sure that the contents of my eReader are protected under the Fifth Amendment. Unless I sell said DRM stripped copyrighted works for profit nobody’s going to bust me over it!
Only if it's not a Kindle on Whispernet.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:02 PM   #9
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Only if it's not a Kindle on Whispernet.
I heard Amazon is training a special-ops, rapid-response team, to be dispatched anywhere around the globe, whenever files with stripped DRM are detected via Wispernet. Apparently, they are all secretly cloned from Jeff Bezos, and have his super-human abilities.

And of course, it's common knowledge, that for the past three years, Amazon has been testing nuclear missiles in the woods outside Seattle.

So, just be careful....
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:16 PM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
... must not glibly respond in a serious thread that the only legal place is floating on a small raft in international waters ....
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:18 PM   #11
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
... must not glibly respond in a serious thread that the only legal place is floating on a small raft in international waters ....
I'd think it would depend on who's flag said raft was registered under.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:04 AM   #12
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
I thought I read something...somewhere...that said border police are confiscating these to look for deDRM'd content.

Was that hyperbole?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:14 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I thought I read something...somewhere...that said border police are confiscating these to look for deDRM'd content.

Was that hyperbole?
No. Merely a completely fictitious rumour.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:18 AM   #14
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
If you want to be picky, a search warrant could be obtained for your eReader with probably cause. But, if it's password protected you may be safe - from what I understand you can't be forced to enter your password. The Fifth Amendment protection from self-incrimination apply in that case.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:05 AM   #15
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
The ship must be unflagged: piracy!!!!

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote