Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-15-2015, 01:55 PM   #1
yefi
yefi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Cannot view html files in firefox that are opened from calibre

I have a question about viewing html files opened from calibre in the firefox browser (and being a newbie this is probably an oversight by me). HTML files are packaged into zip files when imported into calibre. But when I try to view them in firefox, firefox treats them as zip files rather than the html files they really are and only gives me the option of downloading the zip file I just opened.

I can edit calibre's preferences to open zip files in calibre's internal viewer, and this works, but I'd much much rather prefer to open them in firefox (it's more a requirement since they are chinese language html files and I want to use a dictionary popup addon with them). I've also tried fooling around with firefox's preferences on how to handle zip files, but to no avail.

Is there something I'm missing here so that I can view html (zip) files in firefox from calibre?
yefi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:15 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If you mess with Firefox handling of Zip/RAR's you will probably dig yourself into a big hole.

I don't have a language specific solution. Maybe someone else has an idea for viewing Chinese Character based documents
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2015, 02:48 PM   #3
yefi

Ignoring the chinese language requirement I mentioned, is no one able to view any of their html files they have stored in calibre in their web browser?
Old 04-15-2015, 03:12 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The problem is, they aren't HTML files. Fix that and it will work.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:33 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by yefi View Post
Ignoring the chinese language requirement I mentioned, is no one able to view any of their html files they have stored in calibre in their web browser?
They are no longer a simple HTML file <note: singular
They are a package of: HTML,CSS,Images

The Calibre viewer knows how to deal with a 'HTML package'
Some devices also deal nicely

Convert to EPUB and your viewing options open up
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2015, 05:01 PM   #6
yefi

The problem with converting to epub for these html books is that I want to take advantage of firefox addons (such as perapera chinese popup dictionary) since I'm using these books to help with language learning. I tried using epubreader but the other addons do not play nicely wih it.

Anyway my roundabout solution is that I've converted them to txt files and I'm using the fineBook addon to bookmark my progress. It would be nice to have the fancy styling that html files bring, but using txt isn't the end of the world.

My use case is pretty limited so I don't expect much developer interest I guess. It'd be nice if there was a firefox addon to handle htmlz. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:01 PM   #7
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
use the firefox epub reader...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:13 PM   #8
yefi

Quote:
I tried using epubreader but the other addons do not play nicely wih it.
I just explained that I tried that and it doesn't work. The popup dictionaries do not work correctly inside of epubreader.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:39 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Combine it into a single html file, then -- and open that.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:22 PM   #10
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I just take the HTMLZ file, rename it to .ZIP, and extract the files to a folder.

Double-clicking the index.html file in the folder opens the entire book in a browser
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:40 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

That works, although the index.html wouldn't be in calibre -- which I suspect might be a requirement.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:19 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
An HTML file is not a standalone entity. It references other resources such as images, stylesheets etc. Which is why calibre imports HTML as a zip file including all referenced resources. If you dont want that behavior you can simply go to Preferences->Plugins and disable the html2zip plugin. Though if I were you I would look into getting the epubreader and dictionary extensions to work well together instead, as a much more robust long term solution.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:40 PM   #13
readx
Connoisseur
readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Why not use the Mozilla Archive Format(.maff)?

The only difference between a .htmlz-File and a .maff-file is that the root directory of the .maff-archive must be empty. So all you have to do is,
- move the files manually up to a first-level directory and change the file extension to .maff
- install the "Mozilla Archive Format, with MHT and Faithful Save" Add-On and associate the file extension .maff with firefox
It works for me
readx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:59 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Excellent idea.

I haven't thought about MAFF in quite some time...

Karma to you.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:29 AM   #15
Bigo2
Zealot
Bigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Excellent idea.

I haven't thought about MAFF in quite some time...

Karma to you.
Yes, .maff files are great for saving entire pages when browsing in Firefox… How nice it would be to be able to use those pages, interesting articles etc., in Calibre, e.g. to be able to convert them to epub…

And since the .maff files are so similar to .htmlz, I think it should not be very difficult for a programmer to create a plugin to add this format to Calibre, which would enable us to convert files to and from .maff.

I was trying this already before but there was no enthusiasm to do something with it… Nice little project. Please, would somebody pay any attention

Last edited by Bigo2; 02-10-2017 at 03:35 AM.
Bigo2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, html, zip