Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 12-16-2014, 08:32 AM   #1
shimmering
shimmering can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametershimmering can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametershimmering can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametershimmering can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametershimmering can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametershimmering can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametershimmering can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametershimmering can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametershimmering can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametershimmering can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametershimmering can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: none
LaTeX and page sizes

I used LaTeX to create the pdf files for the print editions of my books. They are short and illustrated with lots of verse in, and I thought A5 would be a fine format for those. I still think it's fine.

But shortly I will have to format some books (for paperback fiction) in non-A5 format. Worse, it will be some custom paper format that might seem normal for a paperback book but that LaTeX will not recognise as a standard paper size.

Does anyone know how to get around this to define custom paper sizes for book formatting in LaTeX? Or should I give up already and try a different approach to typesetting? Thanks.
shimmering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Use the "geometry" package (and read its documentation)
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2014, 08:58 AM   #3
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Or memoir, or komascript's book package, &c.

Here's an answer I worked up on tex.stackexchange a while back:

\documentclass[showtrims]{memoir}

\setstocksize{846bp}{648bp}
\settrimmedsize{10.75in}{8in}{*}
\settrims{36bp}{36bp}
\settypeblocksize{600bp}{480bp}{*}
\setcolsepandrule{18bp}{0pt}
\setulmargins{111bp}{*}{*}
\setlrmargins{36bp}{*}{*}
\setheaderspaces{*}{54bp}{*}
\setheadfoot{18bp}{21bp}
\setmarginnotes{1bp}{1bp}{1bp}
\checkandfixthelayout

\quarkmarks

\usepackage{atbegshi}
\AtBeginShipout{\special{pdf: put @thispage <</TrimBox [36.0 36.0 612 810]>>}}
\special{pdf: put @thispage <</TrimBox [36.0 36.0 612 810]>>}

\begin{document}
Test\clearpage Test
\end{document}

It actually applies the pdf bounding boxes prepress applications expect --- verify by turning on the option under Acrobat | Preferences | General | Page Display:

Show art, trim, & bleed boxes

Memoir is an excellent package and you should read the documentation if nothing else.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:25 AM   #4
shimmering
shimmering can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametershimmering can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametershimmering can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametershimmering can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametershimmering can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametershimmering can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametershimmering can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametershimmering can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametershimmering can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametershimmering can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametershimmering can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: none
Many thanks for these replies. I have used geometry to some extent (but missed that it could do what I wanted), been daunted by the capabilities and size of the manual of memoir, and never heard of komascript book....

And thanks for that code which I will try out.

I'd better do some reading!
shimmering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:21 PM   #5
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Also, the LaTeX Wiki is always a good place to start:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Page_Layout
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert