Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
kapierce65
kapierce65 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Rearranging order of books stored in Calibre

Is there a way I can rearrange the order of which my books appear after I have put them on Calibre? For example, I have an author of which I have 20 of her books. The books that are part of a series are not in order and I want to move them up or down my list. Is this possible?
kapierce65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapierce65 View Post
Is there a way I can rearrange the order of which my books appear after I have put them on Calibre? For example, I have an author of which I have 20 of her books. The books that are part of a series are not in order and I want to move them up or down my list. Is this possible?
Click on any column heading to sort by that column. Click again to reverse the direction.

When you sort on another column, the (tied) results will be biased by the prior sort
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
kapierce65

Ok...so I did that. But what if I don't want to just reverse the order but change the order within?
Old 06-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@kapierce65 - calibre has to sort them by "something". Whether that is title, author, series, publication date, a custom column (or any combination thereof) - there has to be some piece of information which it can use to sort the books you see on screen.

Tell us exactly what it is you want to do and someone will have a suggestion. For instance if you are wanting to keep them in an order that you want to read them in, there are a couple of options - you could manually maintain a custom column that you type a number into, or you could use the Reading List plugin which allows you to create ad hoc lists and drag/drop them around in a special dialog. If you say they should be in a series but just don't have the numbers in the order you want, perhaps the Manage Series plugin is the solution. It really does depend exactly what you are trying to achieve.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
kapierce65

OK...It's kind of hard to explain when writing it down But here goes, This author is my Calibre looks like this:

Title Author Series
A Fire in the Blood Henke, Shirl
Moon Flower Henke, Shirl Gone to Texas (2)
The Endless Sky Henke, Shirl
Terms of Love Henke, Shirl Colorado Couplet (1)
Sundancer Henke, Shirl
Love Lessons at Midnight Henke, Shirl House of Dreams (1)
Terms of Surrender Henke, Shirl Colorado Couplet (2)

So, what I want to do is move "Terms of Surrender" Colorado Couplet (2) up next to the first book in the series "Terms of Love". I've already got them stored in Calibre and now I want to change the order in which they appear.
Can I do that? Or does it have to be before I transfer them to Calibre?

I hope I explained that better!
Advert
Old 06-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
...The books that are part of a series are not in order and I want to move them up or down my list. Is this possible?
You can't manually sort the list.

You can either:

Add a series name and number to the Series field for each of the books in a series and then sort by that column

or:

Add the series name and number to the books' titles and sort by Title.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
OK...It's kind of hard to explain when writing it down But here goes, This author is my Calibre looks like this:

Title Author Series
A Fire in the Blood Henke, Shirl
Moon Flower Henke, Shirl Gone to Texas (2)
The Endless Sky Henke, Shirl
Terms of Love Henke, Shirl Colorado Couplet (1)
Sundancer Henke, Shirl
Love Lessons at Midnight Henke, Shirl House of Dreams (1)
Terms of Surrender Henke, Shirl Colorado Couplet (2)

So, what I want to do is move "Terms of Surrender" Colorado Couplet (2) up next to the first book in the series "Terms of Love". I've already got them stored in Calibre and now I want to change the order in which they appear.
Can I do that? Or does it have to be before I transfer them to Calibre?

I hope I explained that better!
sort on series should put them together if you put the series name and index in the correct place
TheTitle, Author, Series columns should look like:
Code:
Terms of Love                    Henke, Shirl             Colorado Couplet[1]
Terms of Surrender           Henke, Shirl              Colorado Couplet[2]

Last edited by theducks; 06-10-2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: wong placement
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #8
kapierce65

Thank You so much theducks!! That is exactly what I wanted it to do! Thanks again...
Old 06-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #9
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
There is information you can add to tweaks which ensure the title/series/author sort will allows be restored when calibre opens.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #10
A$h X
A$h X began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard
Is there way to order the books in the same on the kindle as they are on calibre? I've got them ordered how I want, but when exporting them to my kindle, they seem to be in a semi-random order.
A$h X is offline   Reply With Quote