Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 02-12-2015, 03:02 AM   #1
drhipson
drhipson began at the beginning.

Device: none
howto rename content in pdf file?

Hi, how do i go about renaming content in a pdf file. Nitro allows you to rename files but in sequence 1,2,3,4...,whereas i would like to rename as 1,3,5,7... . I couldnt find to manually rename it .
I have scanned even pages of a book and odd pages , the scanner output it as a pdf file . So i have even and odd pages pdf and a few pages that were missed so might have to manually rename sequence that was off . Any idea about what software to use. Tried adobe acrobat xl .
When i try to extraxt image files the resolution is lowered considerably , any ideas how to extract image files , dont want to convert to different format, without losing resolution . My thought was to extract images , rename by file renaming programm , and make a pdf again. Any help or guidance in the right direction would be highly appreviated
drhipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:37 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
So you just want to reorder the pages?

Try pdftk.

Last edited by eschwartz; 02-12-2015 at 10:50 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:45 PM   #3
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I don't understand your topic because I don't know what "re-naming content in a PDF file" means to you. It might help if you explain in more detail exactly what you are doing. Start with what your goal is, e.g. "I have a physical book and I want to scan it to a PDF file." Then describe in detail what you have done so far: what you are starting with (e.g. a physical book?), what software you are using, how you are using it (e.g. are you scanning a book on a flatbed scanner or some other kind of scanner?), what kind of files you are creating (bitmapped single-page image files like JPEGs? Several single-page PDFs? Multi-page PDFs?), and what you desire for your final product (e.g. a correctly-ordered PDF of your scanned book?). How are you using your software and doing your scans that you are ending up with separate even and odd page groups? What are you trying to extract images from, and why? If you can give more detail and clarity, I think you'll get more helpful advice.

You may want to look through the E-book formats workshop forum.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:34 PM   #4
drhipson

I had physical books to start with . Had access to a proffessional cutter , got the spines cut out. Had an hp n601 i think , which has adf and lets you get a pdf file with scanned pages . I could only scan one side at once and not more than 50 sheets of paper at a time . So i have even and odd numbered pages pdf files . Sometimes i had missed pages and just scanned the missing pages instead of redoing the whole scan again . Because of missed scans i have to manually rename those scans.
I tried to convert pdf of scanned image file into sparate image files and try a file renamer utility to rename the different images as even pages and odd pages and place them together and make a pdf
When i convert them to tiff or jpeg with nitro or nuance the size is about 500 - 700 kb and they lose detail .
For example part 1.pdf had 29 pages in it at 22.9mb with odd numbers . When i converted them to images it was roughly the same size but they lose resolution. Then i tried adobe elements to extract images and they are in the range of 1mb- 2.5 mb if its jpeg and ifits tiff its 43 mb per scan roughly.
The scan of the whole book is about 250mb and has about 13 parts with even pages . Odd pages and missed scan pages.
Then i i tried to merge two pdf files from part 1 and part2 and get a unified pdf . That worked fine , no loss of resolution but how do i rearrange pages , because when i combined the files i had 1st pdf pages and then 2nd pdf pages . So the sequence of reading as it is would be like 1,3,5,7...,47,49,2,4,6,...,48,50. Thats why was asking how to rename files in pdf as to re arrange them
Old 02-13-2015, 12:37 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
As I said above, try pdftk.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:37 AM   #6
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhipson View Post
I had physical books to start with . ...
That is much clearer. Thank you. Eschwartz's recommendation is a good one. PDF SAM and jpdftweak are similar tools. You might also see if your scanning software can generate individual bitmaps for each page scanned, if that's any easier for you. The workshop forum I mentioned before has several threads with book scanning tips. Does your scanning software add an OCR layer to the PDF? You might want that if you'd like your PDF to be searchable. Or you can add it later with any number of tools, most of which have been discussed heavily in this PDF forum, e.g. ABBY Fine Reader (commercial) or k2pdfopt (free, uses Tesseract).
Old 02-14-2015, 01:37 AM   #7
drhipson

Thank you , Eschwartz for the quick reply . That was exactly what I needed . Only I am a noob with cli , well you learn something new everyday.
Also a big Thanks to Willus for being so understanding and sorry for not making myself clear. Your tip of pdfsam worked wonders and now I can read the books on a tab . Although still have to Rotate, de-skew, crop the image.
- De-speckle, clean noise, adjust colors, remove spine shadows.
- Fix print errors, creases, holes, rips, etc.

But the point is atlast I have a working copy to read . Although ideally would eventually like to do an ocr on the job . These are medical books and i did try to get a feel of what would it be like , tried it on odd no 1pdf with abby fine reader and just on the first page there were about 25 corrections. Any idea if there is a medical dictionary that could be incorporated into the ocr programme ?
Old 02-14-2015, 08:16 AM   #8
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Don't know about a medical dictionary. There are some OCR tips in this thread, though. You might want to do a web search for DIY book scanning and/or PDF conversion tips. The MR wiki is another good resource.

Last edited by willus; 02-14-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:48 PM   #9
drhipson

Thanks Willus for the quick help, sorry about the late reply , had wards.
Just curious as i have ripped apart my medical books -physical books and will probably bin them . The soft copy is it legal !!or do i have to keep the physical books as proof , which i dont want to do.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:00 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhipson View Post
Thanks Willus for the quick help, sorry about the late reply , had wards.
Just curious as i have ripped apart my medical books -physical books and will probably bin them . The soft copy is it legal !!or do i have to keep the physical books as proof , which i dont want to do.
I doubt that Willus can answer that. Every country has different laws for copyright and some may not permit what you have done legally already whether or not you keep the original. Others may allow this as fair use. You need to find out what the laws are in your location.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote