Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Exclamation PC problems; any techies around?

Hi,

I hope someone can figure this out. Let me know if it's too confusing!

I tried to make a new youtube vlog, the first in ages, using a new webcam (Logitech c615). The first try was totally silent. I checked control panel--sound and noticed that the audio for the webcam was shown with a phone icon over it.

I tried using a headset mic which is usually happily recognised by my pc, but this didn't work either, in fact I just had lots of white noise. So I unplugged the webcam, opened audacity and tried to record into that. As soon as I pressed the record button a message window popped up telling me that there was no audio device input. I've made lots of recordings with audacity and my various mics in the past.

The only audio device which would work was a usb headset.
Everything's fine with the audio output though the headphones.
Oh, and no devices are showing in the control panel--sound--recording section.

I would be very grateful for any help. I've updated Windows, run a virus scan which found a few viruses. But this hasn't helped.
I'm using windows 7 and my pc has a single audio port which serves both input and output. I usually just change over the jacks if I want to record/listen. If you need more information, just let me know.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Did you download the drivers? Most problems with hardware on Windows are due to the use of the generic drivers from Windows Update. You want to get the specific ones for that webcam:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/suppor...tion=downloads

Or let us know if you DID install those drivers to begin with.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
When you connect devices that provide alternate method of support for the original hardware, they sometime hijack the connection. (Audio Mic/speaker device is one)

Sometimes using Generic drivers supplied by windows is also a bad idea (they don't detect ALL the differences in the HW you have).

Always follow the quick setup guide.
Some devices require you run the Setup even before connecting the device (Connecting first, messes things up).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I installed the disc which came with the webcam before inserting the webcam into the usb port, as told by the manual. I'm not sure if the disc contained the drivers, it just seemed to have software such as "Quick Capture" and Logitech Vid Hd software (I didn't bother setting up the account for the latter as I'm unlikely to use it). I plugged into the usb port when prompted. This installed the webcam software, but I'm not sure if this is the same as the drivers.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I installed the disc which came with the webcam before inserting the webcam into the usb port, as told by the manual. I'm not sure if the disc contained the drivers, it just seemed to have software such as "Quick Capture" and Logitech Vid Hd software (I didn't bother setting up the account for the latter as I'm unlikely to use it). I plugged into the usb port when prompted. This installed the webcam software, but I'm not sure if this is the same as the drivers.

That sounds Normal,
You install the drivers (for later use, because there is no device connected)
When you plug the device in, W 'discovers' the device and determines the drivers exist and just sets the USB port assignment (use a different port and you will see the message again the first usage)

Logitec is wierd.
My wife has a 9000(?) Web cam. Some update-somewhere and now she can't attach her Cannon Shurshot while the Logitec is attached and get images from the camera by USB. A PITA to unplug the Webcam
Advert
Old 08-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
It does sound like a driver issue or hardware conflict.

Could you please provide a DirectX Diagnostics log? To generate one, press the Windows key + R, then type in "dxdiag" (without the quotation marks), wait a few moments while it scans your computer, then click on "save all information" to save the log in plain text format. Other than your computer's name, it does not contain personal information (review the file to check). I think you can attach text files here.

Oh, and please do this with the camera plugged in.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #7
BookCat
C L J

Mivo, will do that in a second when off-line.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's the audio port itself, as I can now do all of the following:

The webcam mic can pic up audio (I uninstalled the software then installed those given at Jessica Lares' link).
My usb mic works.
All audio output works, even from the audio port.
But I can't input audio from the audio port.

My basic conclusion: is there something wrong with the port itself?
Old 08-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #8
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Mivo, will do that in a second when off-line.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's the audio port itself, as I can now do all of the following:

The webcam mic can pic up audio (I uninstalled the software then installed those given at Jessica Lares' link).
My usb mic works.
All audio output works, even from the audio port.
But I can't input audio from the audio port.

My basic conclusion: is there something wrong with the port itself?
Your usb mic and the webcam mic are seperate devices. Both are using their own hardware which don't route through your PC's sound hardware.

So both of those are irrelevant to the audio input working on your audio card (likely onboard sound these days) on your PC.

Go to control panel / sound (you can just type "Sound" in the search and pick the one under control panel).

Look under "Recording" tab. You should see a few different input devices. Check and see if it picks up your microphone when you plug it into the port. You can also check the properties and see if it's enabled.

EDIT: Try this guide, it describes it better (with pictures).
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #9
BookCat
C L J

Greenmonkey, I currently have the pink (input) jack in the audio port and the webcam plugged in. The only thing which shows under sound->recording is the webcam mic.

Mivo, will try to attach the report.
Attached Files
File Type: txt DxDiag.txt (28.9 KB, 276 views)
Old 08-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #10
Dark123
Zealot
Dark123 doesn't litterDark123 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
In Control Panel -> Sound -> Recording
Which is the default? (It has a green circle with a tick in the middle)
Dark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:02 AM   #11
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
There seems to be a significantly newer driver available on Logitech's C615 support page. I'd start with this, after checking if the web cam is the standard recording device (see Dark123's post above).

If neither solves the problem, try without any drivers installed (and without other sound-related devices plugged in). To remove the driver, do this:

- Press the Windows key.
- Open the Control Panel.
- Go to "Device Manager".
- Navigate to "Sound, video, game controllers".
- Double-click on the C615 entry.
- Switch to the tab that says "Drivers".
- Push the "Uninstall" button.
- Remove the cam and restart your computer.
- Plug it back in (nothing else) and see if the mic works.

If it does, yay! If it doesn't, leave it plugged in and install the newest driver (even if it didn't work before).

Good luck!
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #12
BookCat
C L J

If I plug in all audio devices:
the webcam
the usb mic
the audio-port mic

They all show under sounds->recording apart from the one in the audio port. The default (with a green tick) is the webcam mic. The properties button is greyed out.

Mivo, the Logitech webcam mic is working now, I just can't get any audio input from the audio port. My nicest (and prettiest) mics are the audio port type. The usb headset mic is large and ugly. This is important as I want to use them for recording videos.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #13
BookCat
C L J

While browsing on Amazon for new usb headsets I came across a number of usb adaptors, like this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/iLuv-ICB758-...ith+microphone
I hope this link works.

Would this be worth trying so that I can use the non-usb mics?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
If I plug in all audio devices:
the webcam
the usb mic
the audio-port mic

They all show under sounds->recording apart from the one in the audio port. The default (with a green tick) is the webcam mic. The properties button is greyed out.

Mivo, the Logitech webcam mic is working now, I just can't get any audio input from the audio port. My nicest (and prettiest) mics are the audio port type. The usb headset mic is large and ugly. This is important as I want to use them for recording videos.
Try the Webcam control panel. Disable the Webcams MIC. See if that helps
Old 08-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #15
BookCat
C L J

I've tried that 'ducks' but the lappy doesn't recognise the line-in headset. I've ordered

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and keeping my fingers crossed that this solves the problem, or at least provided a work-around.

Tags
audio, computer problem, help needed, techies